• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Barbara Butler Routine

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fado
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks...I am pretty happy with my routine , but always willing to try new stuff...
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with the Adam "routine", many of these "routines" are teacher sensitive. Without the instructor's input and the student's personal understanding of what is expected, these so called "routines" are just sequences of pitches to repeat on a daily basis. That's why they are not published. Might as well make up your own.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Fado
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true.. I appreciate it....
MikeHuff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Barbara Butler Routine Reply with quote

The routine can be overwhelming if taken at face value-it is best to go over it with one of her students or from Barbara herself if at all possible. When I was studying with her, most all of us in her studio were practicing in this manner, it was not a routine developed only for freshman.

Since it is a routine that she developed, I would feel uncomfortable sharing it verbatim. However, if you have heard of it or if you happen to have an "underground" copy of the routine, I am happy to share a few things that have been extremely helpful to me.

First, it is important to rest frequently. I usually use a 10:5 work:rest pattern, so if I work through this routine over the course of 2 hours, I'm actually only playing for 80 minutes. I've even gone so far as to use an egg timer to ensure that I play for a full 10 minutes and rest for a full 5 minutes (I have a tendency to want to keep practicing and skip the rest if things are going well and I also have a tendency to shorten my rest time if I do nothing during that time and lengthen it if I start checking email or answer a phone call!)

Second, it is important to address your daily needs and not try to cover every single mentioned exercise in the routine every single day. Most of the exercises mentioned are suggestions for what might work well to cover a particular need. In other words, if I play a recital of demanding literature one night, I probably won't have to address the upper register hardly at all the next day, instead I usually find myself in recovery mode-working on only low Clarke Studies, slow Schlossberg slurs played softly and other exercises that will help me recover from demanding playing. Or, if I take time off, or have a particularly light week, I may give myself more of a workout, being sure to address playing in the upper register in a very marcato manner. Feel free to substitute any other studies that may help you attain similar results (for example, sometimes I use Chris Gekker's articulation book instead of Clarke Studies to vary my routine)

Third, I feel the most beneficial part of the routine is the "laundry list" of things that should be covered on a daily basis: extreme high and low registers, extreme loud and soft dynamics, slurs and lip trills, beauty of sound and power of sound, single/double/triple tonguing, metronome work, slow and fast tempi, sight reading, transposition, trills turns & ornaments, high horns, lyric playing, intonation work. It seems like a lot (well, it is) but if I am working on the "Carnival of Venice" I may not need to address triple & double tonguing, metronome work, trills turns & ornaments and fast tempi in my daily routine on that particular day, because I may be getting plenty of that in my diet while working on that solo. So, you can start to see how addressing daily needs are adapted on a daily basis with this routine.

I apologize for taking so long to reply. I am fortunate if I am able to read a few things in this forum once every month or two-simply too busy, which is why we either may not hear from too many of Barbara's students or they may, like me, take a little longer to post. I suppose that is a testament to the success of her teaching and this routine!
Fado
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advise... Thank you...
If anyone has a copy that they would not mind sharing, please let me know!!!!!!!!!!!
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Routine Reply with quote

I would be really interested in seeing just what exactly this routine is. I already have a pretty set schedule of things I do, but I'm a nut for trumpet methods, and am always on the prowl for new books and ideas to try out. If anyone would be willing to please send me an email about the routine, or even just the basics of it, that would be really wonderful, if not thats alright. I'll just have to practice my ass off and get into grad school at Northwestern

Adam

ajo3@unh.edu
Albert Castillo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

...I'm now also interested to know what this "routine" or "check list" is all about.

So... If it's no secret, I would appreciate if someone would send it to me.
Is it just a list of "to do" themes or a list with references to concrete exercises (à la Ray Mase)? (I suppose, it's not a set of original exercises)

Really, curiosity is calling...

Thanks...
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Castillo wrote:
Well...

...I'm now also interested to know what this "routine" or "check list" is all about.

So... If it's no secret, I would appreciate if someone would send it to me.
Is it just a list of "to do" themes or a list with references to concrete exercises (à la Ray Mase)? (I suppose, it's not a set of original exercises)

Really, curiosity is calling...

Thanks...

Your curiosity took 9 years to incubate. Not sure anyone in the original thread (from 2006) is even a regular here anymore.
Albert Castillo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, other more "modern" threads were obviously talking (direct or indirectly) about it. So I used the search function.

The question is if someone (still active) in trumpetherald does have this routine and can send it.

Adam or Mase routines are easily found, and are worth looking at and understanding them, even when not adopting them for personal practice.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to see it. I missed the thread the first time around.
mavrian22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret is: IT DOESN'T EXIST! Ms Butler has put together many routines over the years to get ready for various things. I know there is one floating around that she put together for a run with the Cincinatti Pops (I've never seen it and don't have a copy) Otherwise when you study with her, one of the first things she does with you is discuss what you need personally and then help you to design a routine for yourself. As discussed previously, generally she advocated leaving about 2 hours (rest included) to work on the physics of trumpet playing (not etudes, excerpts, solos). If you're really interested, invest in a copy of the Michael Sachs Daily Fundementals and start building a routine around the 60min warm-up example. Thing to possibly include: buzzing, long tones, Clarke, Lip Flexibility, Articulation, Note Placement (the Sachs book has some examples, Schbruek Lip Trainers ect.), Scales, Chromatics, et al.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was mentioned earlier, an Adam "routine" is fairly easy to obtain, but without the guidance of Adam, RIP, or a very good Adam teacher, it's just a bunch of Scholssberg, Arban, etc, exercises. We all can find exercises to "play over", but without a concept of something built for us, They're just exercises. Can't hurt, but----

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Albert Castillo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, forget it. Wrong question.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Castillo wrote:
Ok, forget it. Wrong question.

The secret order of Butler students.
aolivero

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher was one of their students and I used to do Barbara and Charlie stuff all the time. Great stuff
ExtraLargeBore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the version I have:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=42718185602545984810

Let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll try another site to upload it.
Bb - Bach 37 #0XXX
C - Bach NY 229 25H #1
Eb/D - Schilke E8L #90210
Piccolo - Schilke P51 (custom 1 valve)
MPS - Bach - 1X 19 throat 117 backbore
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtraLargeBore wrote:
Here's the version I have:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=42718185602545984810

Let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll try another site to upload it.

Much appreciated.
chi2lon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

The link further up in the thread is dead. Does anyone have a copy to share or can shed some light on the topic?

Thanks!
Toshi 16EWS
Bb - Schagerl Hans Gansch
Laskey 75MC
Eb/D - Yamaha 9610
Laskey PIC
Picc - Stomvi Elite
Monette B2 FL R6/FLG2
Cornet - Stomvi Titan
Flugel - Adams F2
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the outline of the warm-up routine she gave me:

-- Breathing exercises
-- Mouthpiece buzzing
-- Scales
-- Arpeggios (alternate with Stamp)
-- Irons (alternate with Colin, Schlossberg, Stamp)
-- Clarke Technical Studies
-- Articulation exercises
-- Double/triple tonguing
-- Cichowicz long tone and flow studies
-- Loosening up exercises

For each of the above there were specific directions as to how/when to do them. Also specific rest breaks, which were written into the routine. I don't think there is any harm in sharing the outline, but it doesn't seem right to me to share more than that given that she is still teaching....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: