• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DUMPSTA'DIVIN' WINDFALL TODAY!!! PENNIES FROM HEAVEN...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some days are diamonds...some days are like stone...but today was truly a gift, like pennies from heaven.

My paper box was over-flowin'...Packed all the papers into the trunk of the Zzzz and headed to the paper recyling DUMPSTER!!!
TALK ABOUT DUMPSTER DIVING AT ITS FINEST??? WOW!!! PENNIES FROM HEAVEN.

It was raining...I popped open the trunk..and just as I was ready to drop the first stack of old Seattle PI newpapers..."EURRRREAKA!"
There it was on the stack of dumped old magazines and newpapers...a bunch of old long-play records,and on the very top album was an AL HIRT 1962 RC Victor album "TRUMPET AND STRINGS! with our BIG AL STARING ME RIGHT IN THE FACE! off that almost pristine old cover and inside was also a very very lightly used and very good condition record (although it didn't have an inside paper jacket) it was in really nice shape..
I couldn't dump my papers fast enough and kick the old Z's turbo into boost mode and head for my studio...Plopped in down on the changer..and WOW!!!
I hate to admit...this is one CD of Al's that I have heard about but never had run across. After playing it through 3 times....

I gotta share with you...that this is a new side of Al Hirt, that I never have experienced before. From the big broad brassy but regal bright tone that readily identifies "The King" came through with surprising clarity. Al usual BIG WILD ABANDONED FLAIR...was subdued and subtle and against a backdrop as silken as any tapestry...was this warm full bodied orchestra of strings.
On this CD Al shines with bursts of sharp, bright, powerful explosions of color displays his incredible command of full spectrum of sound...from mutedly soft pastels...to firey bursts of NEON COLORS...IN SOUND THAT COULD MAKE WALLS OF JERICHO CRUMBLE AS IN THE DAYS OF THE SHOFAR...(RIGHT-LIAD?)
This CD may seem dated to many...but not Als command and soul...and expertise shines bright and brand new...As shiney as any brand new PENNIES FROM HEAVEN!!

Thus proving from my treasure find...One man's trash is another mans treasure...
Today was a lucky Day.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBD,

You are a riot! Your posts remind me of Hunter FEARANDLOATHING Thompson and Tom KANDYCOLOREDTANGERINEFLAKESTREAMLINEBABY Wolfe. Thanks for keeping us updated on your latest adventure!

Play on,

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: