• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What Were Lessons With Stamp Like?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: What Were Lessons With Stamp Like? Reply with quote

As I was playing some of the Stamp exercises a little earlier this evening, I started wondering what a lesson with Stamp was like. This is part simple curiosity, part professional interest (I'm curious about approaches to teaching in general), and part hope that I can gain a little more insight into what's going on in these simple exercises that have done so much for me.

Then it occurred to me that there were probably plenty of people here who had that experience!

So ... would some of you who took lessons from him be willing to offer a few words (or more!) about what the lessons were like? Inquiring minds want to know! (Well, at least one inquiring mind wants to know ...)
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy was very particular about how the drills should be done. He could hear every slight variation and nuance in how I played the exercises, especially the scale drills. He wanted everything perfect! I'd wind up doing drills over and over and over for him until they were exactly the way he wanted them. He would also insist that I get that pedal C on the open valve position. (I have to confess, I don't do that now. Sorry Jimmy! )

After warmup drills and scale drills, then it was on to playing whatever I was working on at the time, usually things like Charlier or orchestral excerpts, and the focus was on applying Jimmy's method to everything. That's where I learned that the Stamp warmup method isn't just a warmup, it is a method that must carry over to all aspects of your playing.

On quite a few occasions, I would show up to my lesson to find 2-4 other trumpet players there and we would sight read quartet music (or other trumpet ensemble music) during my lesson time. (Jimmy didn't charge me for those days.) Roy Poper was there on occasion. Roy is a really nice guy (no massive trumpet player ego) and an unbelievable sight reader -- which you have to be to work the studios in LA.

Jimmy was a great guy, never harsh and had a good sense of humor, but he wasn't one to let me get away with anything either. I would never go to a lesson without being completely prepared -- I didn't want to get "the look."

I've read that Jimmy didn't play at his student's trumpet lessons. Maybe that happened in the years after I studied with him. (I studied with him in the late 70's) He played at my lessons and he played along with the impromptu ensembles. He was an excellent player.

Hope this helps!

Janet
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet, thanks for the comments!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: