• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

STRICTLY FROM A POSTION OF THE JAZZ TRUMPET:

Since most of you seem to be hell-bent on misinterpreting my statements on WM, and answering in a very simplistic way, I've decided to play by your rules.

Lets see how it goes.

WM IS 44; WOODY DIED AT 44; FREDDIE WAS STILL HIGHY ACTIVE AT 44

THE QUESTION:

CAN WE SAY THAT WYNTON'S LEVEL OF JAZZ PLAYING IS EQUIL TO THAT OF FREDDIE OR WOODY AT 44 YEARS OF AGE?

REMEMBER, THIS IS NOT WHO YOU LIKE, OR IF ONE OF THESE PLAYERS IS YOUR HERO, IT IS TRUELY A QUANTATATIVE COMPARATIVE QUESTION BASED ON YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THESE THREE PLAYERS.

IF YOU ARE NOT EQUALLY WELL VERSED IN ALL THREE OF THESE PLAYERS OUTPUT FROM THE BEGINNING OF THEIR CAREERS TO THE PRESENT OR END, PLEASE DO NOT PARTICIPATE.

PLEASE USE EXAMPLES FROM ALBUMS TO INFOM YOUR ANSWERS.

IF YOU CAN NOT PARTICIPATE DUE TO LACK OF KNOWLEDGE, FINE, BUT GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

NO PERSONAL INSULTS AND LETS PLEASE STAY CIVIL. THE MODS WLL BE WATCHING THIS POST, ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE STARTED IT

BEST BEHAVIOR, OK? HERE WE GO.

REMEMBER, YOUR ANSWERS ARE INFORMED FROM THE QUESTION:

STRICTLY FROM A POSTION OF THE JAZZ TRUMPET: CAN WE SAY THAT WYNTON'S LEVEL OF JAZZ PLAYING IS EQUIL TO THAT OF FREDDIE OR WOODY AT 44 YEARS OF AGE?
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? Why so restrictive?

How 'bout Clifford Brown at 25, or Roy Hargrove at 32? The trumpet world is full of superior talents that had fully matured in their 20s and 30s. Argueably many were (are) superior to WM as jazz players. (Miles, Louis, Chet, etc., etc. all fit into such a comparison).

WM's contribution has been far reaching and covers much more waterfront than his jazz trumpet playing. He's got leadership qualities and classical talents that few others possess. To measure him just on his playing is unfair and confusing. He's in his place of high respect because of his whole package, not just his playing.

Looking at WM's jazz playing is like looking at Gerard Swartz and ignoring his conducting.

Dave
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is m4 - he doesn't want a sensible debate that might be of interest to those with knowledge of any other players, he just wants to demonstrate his disliking for Wynton, yet again.

m4 - we know you don't like the guy's playing - so what?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dave that Wynton is far more significant for things other than his playing. Whether those things are good or bad is also open to question.

Historians will likely view his greatest contributions to jazz to be his efforts in education, popularization of a previously more arcane art, and canonization. Canonization is one thing I have a hard time with. Anyway...

In these respects, the comparison with Schwarz...or Dave Brubeck for another example are apt and I think he compares favorably.

As far as contributions and a recorded ouevre of lasting significance, his contributions to age 44 pale in comparison to Woody or Freddie...or Miles or Lee for that matter.

Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one. That's mine.
m4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic is restrictive becuse its my thread. Futher, in another topic similiar to this from two days ago, i was personally attacked in the most humiliating of ways.

I disagree that a whole package needs to be viewed here. Fuuther, there has already been a post here that demonstrates this point.

Few people debate Chick Corea's or Keith Jarrett's classical playing and/or composing when evaluating their merits as jazz players. Why should WM be judged differently?

Like it or not, it's WM jazz playing that generates most of his popularity. Therefore, I feel it apt that he be judged within this context.

During Woody Shaw's lifetime, there were not shrines built to music education.l But Woody taught at the Eastman School, and the Jamey Arbersold camps. Few young players are probably not even aware of all of this information.

So yes, i beleieve that when WM puts himself out as a "jazz player" and makes money in the enterprise; as well as mesmerizing a whole generation of trumpet players, I beleive we can delimit the debate as i have framed it.

Dr. Michael Missiras aka m4
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m4 wrote:
The topic is restrictive becuse its my thread.

Oh, I didn't know that anyone "owned" threads here.

You'll have a much happier life if you participate in threads as a member of the community. No one can dictate the path that a thread will take. It'll be very frustrating for anyone trying to "control" threads.

Dave
m4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Interesting point about "owning" threads. In a larger sense, you are probably right. But at a meta level, which is certianly what an online site such as this might be consdidered, the use of "hijaking" gives rise to the notion of "owning."

You can't have it both ways. Phenomenological terminolgy rules at the end of the day here. This is not a trumpet think tank. its a helpful, sometimes pathetic palce where people of all walks of the horn are "equal."

As for G Swartz, i would have difficulty 1) comparing hin to Wynton as we are talking about trumpet playing, and conducting is a form of performace, at least in royalties with regard to hollywood soundtracks; and 2) There is no messionic complex that WM seems to hold, in contrast to GS, who is not seeking wide fame but simply being a musician's musician.

As for the happiness of my life. i have not a clue as to waht you are refering to...???

Dr. Michael Missiras aka m4
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

m4 wrote:

IF YOU ARE NOT EQUALLY WELL VERSED IN ALL THREE OF THESE PLAYERS OUTPUT FROM THE BEGINNING OF THEIR CAREERS TO THE PRESENT OR END, PLEASE DO NOT PARTICIPATE.

Okay, m4, you said in an earlier post that you have not really given Wynton a listen to for the past decade or so. So, you are not qualified to participate in this thread. But let's just ignore that for the moment.

I would like to hear your opinion first. Please site specific albums to inform your answers.

And please, if we are comparing the players at their mid-40's age please make sure that your Wynton examples come from recent albums of his (not stuff from the 80's.)

I will post my well-studied opinion after you do so first. I mean, why should I bother if the "owner" of the thread is not willing to bother?

Fair game, m4. I'll accept your challenge. Let's go.

Last edited by loweredsixth on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs to me that Marsalis and Hubbard have always had a preferable
"sound" to that of Shaw...in terms of sheer depth and tone colour. I have heard quite a few recordings of Woody Shaw and while I like his sheer spirit and harmonic complexity I do get a little sick sometimes of listening to him "clatter" along...his playing can be a little incessant.

Ring any bells guys or no?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windandsong wrote:
It occurs to me that Marsalis and Hubbard have always had a preferable
"sound" to that of Shaw...in terms of sheer depth and tone colour. I have heard quite a few recordings of Woody Shaw and while I like his sheer spirit and harmonic complexity I do get a little sick sometimes of listening to him "clatter" along...his playing can be a little incessant.

Ring any bells guys or no?

This is where it is difficult to speak about musical matters empirically...especially with regard to improvisers.

To my ears Wynton's sound is his only technical detriment. It always sounds to me like his notes on the verge of breaking up and there is not real core to the sound. It doesn't really sound very trumpetlike...even given the wide range of sounds among great jazz players.

On the other hand, Woody's sound, while a bit inconsistent, almost always has a ring and sparkling brilliance that is very much the essence of how I think a trumpet should sound. The jazz critics used to use the term "brass proud" to describe Freddie's sound and I hear those qualities most of the time in Woody's tone and rarely if ever in post-1985 Wynton.

I suspect what you are hearing is clarity of articulation in Wynton, not the tone. Woody admittedly cracks a few more notes, but this is because he is actually improvising and taking chances...He is playing jazz.
m4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

loweredsixth wrote:
m4 wrote:

Okay, m4, you said in an earlier post that you have not really given Wynton a listen to for the past decade or so. So, you are not qualified to participate in this thread. But let's just ignore that for the moment.

I would like to hear your opinion first. Please site specific albums to inform your answers.

And please, if we are comparing the players at their mid-40's age please make sure that your Wynton examples come from recent albums of his (not stuff from the 80's.)

I will post my well-studied opinion after you do so first. I mean, why should I bother if the "owner" of the thread is not willing to bother?

Fair game, m4. I'll accept your challenge. Let's go.

First of all, we are not going anywhere. You obviously are chalanged by my request. That is OK.

But, since you asked, and i am used to students turning the tables, lets go one better. Rather then use albums as examples, let us turn to live performances to substantiate our claim

I will expect an equally qulaified response from you.
First i will tell you that i not only own recordings of the three players under discussion, but have seen them all live.

Let me begin:

WS: Live performance NYC 1984: Playing intensly fast tempos with great ease and clarity. A reprise form the "Stepping Stones" era. Further, you may hear a video on the WS web site of WS playing "Steping Stones" at a fast tempo uterly relaxed. have you ever tried to play the head of "Stepping Stones?"

FH: Live peformance, Blue Note, NYC 1988: Almost every tune was up tempo. FH would have been about 48 then. An absolute show stopper.
Album: Hub of Hubbard. Some of the most brilliant FH on record. Please refer to the cut "Without a Song" This is uptemp at its quntisential. if you do not know this album, you do not know FH. But from a technical point: FH plays with intense clarity and harmonic sophistication, and with a combination of jazz articulations that are literally spell binding.

WM: I recently saw a link of WM recently playing Cherookee. WM uses a very non-jazz form of double tounging which simply does not swing, nor does it have precident in jazz other then in Woody Shaw's extremely complex syntax. It was obvious that the tempo was too fast; the band was having problems; even WM, a fine trumpet player was scuffling. Yet the tempo was at a pace that FH and WS never had problems with, and on much more sophisticated harmonic material then Cherokee. Reductively, if one were to "slow down" waht WM played, it was painfully simplistic harmonically, and beyond him technically from the perspective of tempo.

OK, Mr b6, please give us your erudite evaluations.

Dr. Michael Missiras, AKA m4
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I'll use the exact same responses to Freddie Hubbard and Woody Shaw as you did (I totally agree with you on those although I have not seen Woody Shaw live.)

My counter example will be Wynton Marsalis' album Sweet Release. In the first movement he clearly exemplifies his strong sense of musical taste and teachnical ability beyond his years. His tone is strong, with a lightness to his attack that suggest complete command of the instrument.

Also, I'll use Wynton Marsalis' live at the Village Vanguard box set. On the tune Rubber Bottom, Wynton plays at a very fast tempo with complete control. His lines are very interesting harmonically in that his choice of notes constantly keeps the listener guessing as to where he is heading. His choice of notes he accents keeps the bass lpayer swinging hard with no loss on tempo.

Also, I'll use Wynton's recording of Just Friends from that same live concert you say the clip of CHerokee from. His maturity is very evident here. He swings beautifully in all registers (many registers) and his choice of notes is very personal and original. This is beautiful playing, very relaxed, and in the true spirit of jazz.

How's that? I was not "challenged" by your post. I am just tired of you demanding people prove something to you when you were not (until just now) willing to do the same for yourself. I still charge that you are not familiar enough with Wynton's playing to have an educated opinion on his playing.
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

m4 wrote:
First of all, we are not going anywhere. You obviously are chalanged by my request. That is OK.

But, since you asked, and i am used to students turning the tables, lets go one better. Rather then use albums as examples, let us turn to live performances to substantiate our claim

You know what? That is precisely the attitude you have that makes people relunctant to participate in these threads. In fact, I feel rather stupid for even trying.

After all, you were not able to use albums to substantiate your claim (as you previously prescribed us to do,) with Wynton. In fact, you used probably the most absurd clip to represent the acheivements of Wynton Marsalis. Have you heard anything he's done in the past ten years? Why would you think that clip is a fair representation of him?

That fact alone makes me think this is a joke, and I am stupid once again for getting caught up in it.
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

loweredsixth wrote:
m4 wrote:

You know what? That is precisely the attitude you have that makes people relunctant to participate in these threads. In fact, I feel rather stupid for even trying.

After all, you were not able to use albums to substantiate your claim (as you previously prescribed us to do,) with Wynton. In fact, you used probably the most absurd clip to represent the acheivements of Wynton Marsalis. Have you heard anything he's done in the past ten years? Why would you think that clip is a fair representation of him?

That fact alone makes me think this is a joke, and I am stupid once again for getting caught up in it.

Well the good thing is that you guys are dropping pointers to some great recordings. That's worth it for us spectators at least.
somedaylikechet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

m4 wrote:
WM IS 44; WOODY DIED AT 44; FREDDIE WAS STILL HIGHY ACTIVE AT 44

Ok, let's see: We have one player that IS 44 and two players AT 44. In all cases this is already quite a lot, considering that the meaning of life is only 42 (if in doubt, consult "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"). We have 3 x 44 years, which adds up to 132. Considering that this is quite a long time for a career, we have to look at this a bit sceptical: You say that we have to infom our answers on albums. However recording studios are closed the weekends. That means that they only open 71,4% of all days of the week (I will not count christmas, presidents' weekend and other holidays). I don't know about union requirements, but I would be amazed, if recording technicians and engineers worked more than 8 hours a day. So on each day that the studio is open, it is actually closed for two thirds of the time, which leaves us at a mere 23.8% (for the ease of things I will not consider alternative takes that are sometimes recorded).

m4 wrote:

OK, let's look at this thing called "INFOM" a bit closer:
I is the 9th letter of the alphabet, N is the 14th letter of the alphabet, F is th 6th letter of the alphabet, O is the 15 letter and M is the 13th letter of the alphabet. The sum of all those digits (9+1+4+6+1+5+1+3) is 30. If you add this to our 23.8%, you get 53.8%, which is just above the majority. But a trumpet has three valves (piccolos are not considered, as they are not common in Jazz), which gives only 17.93% per valve. I will not devide it by the number of trumpets, because professional players usually have more than one horn. Also bore size shouldn't matter here, because then my whole calculation wouldn't work, if the artist played a song on a flugel, which normally has a smaller bore and I don't want to go below 17.93.

m4 wrote:
First i will tell you that i not only own recordings of the three players under discussion, but have seen them all live.

I'm sorry, I don't quite know how to input that information in my calculation. But let's try:
A CD lasts about an hour. That makes 24 CDs a day or 8760 CDa a year. If we then multiply it by the number of years, we get 8760 x 132, which adds up to 1156320. Here again we have to take into account our percentage of 17.93, which gives me the final result:

I'm sorry, if my post was a bit long, but at least I gave you a precise answer to your question.
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

somedaylikechet wrote:

I'll be damned. If I'm not mistaken, that's the threshold of votes required for a stylist to achieve innovator status on TH.
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

scarface wrote:

Well the good thing is that you guys are dropping pointers to some great recordings. That's worth it for us spectators at least.

You can't go wrong with that Wynton Marsalis Septet Live at the Village Vanguard box set. It's seven CD's for like $30. You will be amazed at Wynton's playing, and that of his septet. That is easily the most amazing jazz Wynton has recorded!
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

somedaylikechet wrote:

Suddenly my life seems to make total sense!
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

loweredsixth wrote:
somedaylikechet wrote:

Suddenly my life seems to make total sense!

BTW, I hope your calculations are correct because I just tattooed that number on my ass!
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wynton M. vs. FREDDIE H./WOODY S. Reply with quote

loweredsixth wrote:

BTW, I hope your calculations are correct because I just tattooed that number on my ass!

Another m4 thread goes south!

p.s. I'll check out that Village Vanguard set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: