• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

IIIa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FN Wilson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the encyclopedia and spending some thought on it, I've concluded that Im a IIIa tpye with 2 tongue. I say this cause i have an over bite,when i push up and to the right I ascend,down left decend.(Is that weird?).I have always rolled my lower lip in playing. I have a few questions though..

1. Should I always push against the mouthpiece with my lower jaw?(when I do, i get less "railroad tracks" on my upper lip,but jaw gets pretty darn tird after a while..lol)

2. What type of excersises should I do to build up chops and control? (besides pencil drill and flips)
3. Any tips for a IIIa type?Things to watch for?

Thanks for any advice gentlemen (and ladies
Dustin

- Robbin Williams
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-12 04:45, FN Wilson wrote:
After reading the encyclopedia and spending some thought on it, I've concluded that I'm a IIIa type with 2 tongue. I say this cause i have an over bite, when i push up and to the right I ascend, down left decend. (Is that weird?) I have always rolled my lower lip in playing. I have a few questions though...

1. Should I always push against the mouthpiece with my lower jaw? (when I do, i get less "railroad tracks" on my upper lip, but jaw gets pretty darn tired after a while..lol)

2. What type of exercises should I do to build up chops and control? (besides pencil drill and flips)

3. Any tips for a IIIa type? Things to watch for?

Thanks for any advice gentlemen (and ladies )
Dustin

Hey, Dustin,

I'm not a IIIA, but I can answer one or two of the questions you posed (your post was looking a little lonely, no replies for a couple days).

The question in your first paragraph, "Is that weird?" . . . if your diagnosis is correct and your angle has been accurately determined, then no, it's not weird.

Chris and I have talked about it, and his take on the angle is that if you play off to one side more than the other, then your jaw probably goes out and toward the other side when you're ascending. For instance, I play slightly off to my right, so when I ascend, my jaw goes out and slightly to my left.

Then in your numbered list, question #1 . . . yes, Doc always told me that no matter what type we are, we need to protrude the jaw more as we ascend. In the lower register, keeping the "weight" on the lower lip will prevent dropping the jaw and pivoting incorrectly. So, it follows that if we always keep more "weight" on the lower lip (that's how Doc liked to say it), we will avoid many pitfalls.

As far as your other questions, let's see if anybody else is going to chime in here, alright?

One point I'd like to throw in, and that's what Doc used to say about how a correct descending slur (that is, a proper pivot to get us into the lower register) is the key to all-around correct brass playing. You'd need to take a lesson with a Reinhardt student to get some of the routines (like the Pivot Stabilizer and the Track Routine), but if you do a few slurs down and back from 2nd line G down to low C utilizing a correct pivot daily, that will probably help. Also, use your 2nd valve, 1st valve, and 1st & 2nd valve combination to slur that interval of a fifth to our lower partials.

If you think you're doing that correctly, do some octaves from tuning C down, also using those 4 valve combinations.

When those feel right, progress to some tenths (4th space E down to low C), then some 12ths (G on the staff, not in the staff, to low C) also using those 4 valve combinations.

Let us know when you get through all that.

I think the reason Doc had us only use those 4 valve combinations on many exercises like this is so we wouldn't get preoccupied with achieving "perfect" intonation on the alternate fingerings. Stabilizing the pivot is very important, and the series that I described above is a long-term task that you don't need to perfect in a couple of days. Allow a couple of years; that way you'll be making steady progress in spite of yourself.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: