• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Couesnon Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walteriano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is mine

is it a A 126 ?

thanks,
walter
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain that the valve bloc of this horn is original Couesnon?
I'm not aware of them ever having built horns with the straight-through valve system.
Maybe they did and then this is the first I've seen.
walteriano

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:

Here are my pictures from the 1934 catalogue:

1- Saxhorn series description

2- Flugel details

3- Cornet details

4- Trumpet details

I hope a catalogue of the 50’ will appear somewhere and I can see it.
Regards

Marc

look at the pictures... you can see a Flugel with straight air column through the valve block
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's interesting information, thank you!
You horn is indeed probably the 126. Your catalog says that both 126 and 127 have the "colonne d'air droite" ("straight air column"), the 126 being in Bb (si b), the 127 being in C and Bb (ut et si b).
Your horn doesn't look like it can be shortened to C, so it must be the 126. Being that old, is it high pitch, i.e. in B present tuning?
Again, thanks for sharing that catalog with us!
TheTrumpetShop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Couesnon info Reply with quote

It will take me weeks to sift through this thread alone, but I'll be richer for it when I do...

Please email any Couesnon info, pics, shop cards, catalogs, etc., to TheTrumpetShop@aol.com. As the only Couesnon dealer, I'd like to start a central Couesnon info location. You never know what you'll find. I just picked up a Couesnon piston French horn with a dated stamp on the bell from the organization that bought it. I don't know if they bought it new, but clues are clues.

I see lots of familiar names on TH with lots of Couesnon horns and info. You guys are great! Keep it up.

Charley @ The Trumpet Shop
pied piper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: couesnon flugelhorn Reply with quote

My flugel is serial# 81527.

It has the emblem on top
Couesnon
Paris
made in France
Monopole
Conservatoires

There is an A stamped on the second valve.

I bought this horn in 1993 from my college prof. who had picked it up from a music stores back room. I don't use the mouthpiece that came with it. I use a Schilke piece. Fits better and plays better in tune. I love the horn and will never part with it.
TheTrumpetShop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: couesnon Reply with quote

any idea when your professor bought it?

www.TheTrumpetShop.com
cornet56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have that same horn in Lacq. It is a legit Coseuen as I saw the paper work/catolog form Coseun as was shown to me by the late Hal Oringer, trumpet collector of many old French besson horns, Martin Committees, (Including Art Farmenr's) gold played one which I played in New York.) I'm sure many players here knew Hal. He lived in NYC and hosted--amny seesions at his studio. No need to bring a horn--he had everything you wanted and more!! Claudio Rodititi was there a lot. This is back in the very early 80s in NY. Anyone else here part of that club????

Many people think that this late production model is one of the finest edtions of the Coseun. I was sceptical at first too--having owned two Triberts, but Hall confirmed it. Not many out there as the fact. burned down. AS I said--I saw the paperwork. Paid 350 USD in 82. It sits in it'' case have not seen it for over 7 years.

When did you get yours??

I love mine--plays beautifully--I got it in 1982. At some point I'll probably have it redone--maybe in Silver.

Best
c56

http://www.myspace.com/mikemissiras
http://www.myspace.com/drmissirascornetproject

somedaylikechet wrote:
OK, I finally managed to take some pics of my flugel. Has anyone ever seen that engraving before? There's no serial number on it, except for "323" on the mouthpiece receiver. One repairman said someting like that it might not be a real Couesnon, but manufactured by someone else under their name. But I always thought that it was Couesnon, who manufactured for other brands. Anyways, I don't care, even if it was made on planet Mars, because it sounds so beautiful. The best ebay deal I ever did.
The pics might be deveiving: It's not red. It is nickel plated, but it peels of in some places.

Marc, from your description, you must have about the same horn, right? Letter "N" and "140" stamped on the 2nd valve.

Cheers,

Daniel

mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: couesnon Reply with quote

TheTrumpetShop wrote:
any idea when your professor bought it?

www.TheTrumpetShop.com

Charlie really has some nice horns for sale. Check them out:
www.TheTrumpetShop.com
MIKEY
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
TheTrumpetShop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mikey! And thanks more for the work you do.

Charley
cornet56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resercted tys thread in order to show the authenticity of a coseun flug.

SO please excuse this marker post but I want the poster who showed pictures of his horns that, not only do I have one, but it is indeed one of the last series Coseun flugs made. ANd as many will contend, one of the best vintages, sadly the last.

Thank you,
c56

http://www.myspace.com/mikemissiras
http://www.myspace.com/drmissirascornetproject
TheTrumpetShop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a Couesnon, but not the last
cornet56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTrumpetShop wrote:
Yes it's a Couesnon, but not the last

I do contend that this serious of Coueson was the lastseies made before the fire which explains why there are so few of them.

Moreover--many people feel that this last seies is amoung the better if not best vintage of Coueson Flgs. I know I always enjoyed playing it--and especially with a Bach 5C FLG--that was the clasiic set up.
robertgrier
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone is interested The Co. is now called P.G.M. Cousnon and they have a web site.
www.bobgriermusic.com
bgrierjr@triad.rr.com
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread and great info. Ive been looking into buying a Couesnon flug for awhile. I just cant decide what model to get. Which ones should one stay away from?

As to all the numbers and letters, everyone has posted the engraving, how about everyone taking out the caliper and tape measure and giving the bore sizes, bell diameter, tubing lengths and anyother pertinate horn measurements. This way a common ground relating engravings and sizes could help answer some questions.
TheTrumpetShop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling, that's exactly what I plan on doing. I even bought a scale to weight them.

"Making the Trumpet World a Better Place"
Indofunk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump this thread, but it seems to be the most informative thread when doing a search for "Couesnon flugel".

I just bought a well-used Couesnon flugel for $350. Just picked it up. Very few markings, just "T1" and "S Bb" on the receiver (oriented upside-down from each other, strangely), an A on the second valve (and 1-2-3 on the other side of the valves) and the following on the bell:

Couesnon [o in the C]
Paris
Made in France

Seller told me his Dad bought it in the late 70's/early 80's. Doesn't look like anything special, but it plays perfectly in tune, which shocked me. I was even using a Bach taper mouthpiece (all I had). I'll get a Couesnon taper mouthpiece and see how that affects it.

My main horns:
Conn 38B
Holton Firebird
Firebird demo
jimmyjazz1968
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indo---I purchsed a Couesnon flugel a few months ago that has a very similar description to yours. The Couesnon on the bell has th "o" inside the "C". I have an "A" on the second valve slide. #81218. It also has a slightly longer leadpipe than most of the couesnon's I have tried and seen. This is apparently a version made for America (maybe what the "A" is??!!) I sent it off for a valve job ( Charlie Melk is GREAT btw!) and ordered one of his custom leadpipes for it. Though I haven't gotten the leadpipe for it yet--it is the BEST flugel I have ever played. I played mostly Yamahas for the past 12 years and this horn not only has the "sound" i was looking for--but it is also the most "in-tune" flugelhorn I have ever played! With all the horror stories about them, I think I got lucky!!! A truly amazing horn!! no disrespect to Yamahas as they are great horns as well. I also tired a Kanstul 1525 copper--and honestly liked this horn better in terms of blow, slotting, and sound!
Indofunk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Marc's theory that the letter on the 2nd valve is the initial of the "QC" person. And going through this thread, looks like all 7x,xxx serials have a B or N on the 2nd valve, and all 8x,xxx serials have an A or K. Even if that's not true, I'd like to think that "Adolphe" made my horn

Is Marc still active here? He seems to have a lot of Couesnon knowledge, and has the advantage of being in Paris and speaking French...

My main horns:
Conn 38B
Holton Firebird
Firebird demo
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

yes, I am still here and still trying to understand the Couesnon story.
I recently discussed in an other thread about the possible differences between Couesnon trumpets made for US and Couesnon trumpets made for France.
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99398
My own opinion is that Couesnon sold either "genuine French" horns under the name "Monopole" or only "Couesnon, 105 rue Lafayette" or "adapted" (but to what extend?) horns for the US market under the name "Deluxe" or "Lafayette". But I do not have reliable evidences yet.
I am waiting information from knowledgeable people about this question, the true differences between Monopole, Monopole Conservatoire,"*" (star), and "other" horns and all the story behind this all this.
If I have answers, I will post.
Regarding the letters, it is more than a theory IMHO. It has been told to me by these knowledgeable people who are either former Couesnon employees or famous repairmen in France (among them Philippe Rault, now retiring, himself the son of a repairman whose workshop was "Rue d'Angoulème" in Paris, a street well known by French vintage horn). So we can assume it is true.
Thus, sorry but the A is not for America!
Regards
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: