• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Differences between Yamaha flugelhorn models

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insensato
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Differences between Yamaha flugelhorn models Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience comparing the Yamaha YFH-631 and the 8315 models? Any information would be great. Looking to purchase a Yamaha flugelhorn specifically.
ronnyc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 631 in 1984 and used it in big band, r&b and occasionally in church through 2012, when I purchased the 8315. One if the most popular models of that time and still a lot of them around.

In my experience, the 631 with its larger bore has looser slotting and has a deeper sound, especially near the bottom of the stave. I had to be careful not to push it or it would start to sound a bit baritone-ish. Still very much a flugel sound though, in fact I chose it because it was the model Mangione played. There’s a lot of room to move around on the note if you like that.

I very much like the 8315, it’s in between the 631 and the Shew. I find the 8315 VERY easy to play, has a beautiful tone, and one thing I particularly like that may not be for everyone is that it slots very well for a flugel. The notes “click” into place on slurs up to high C. Much more nimble than the 631.

Hope that helps. Good luck, let us know how it goes for you!

Ron in Youngstown Ohio
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAIW, I have a 731 from the early nineties. As opposed to the 631, it only came in a yellow brass bell and silver finish.
While I cannot compare it to other Yamaha models, I really like that with a variety of suitable mouthpieces (I am using Breslmair G3, G7 and G9) you can go all the way from a Baritone sound to a Flumpet/Hybrid without losing a clean and defined tone. I have used it both for pretending to be a French Horn in church as well as playing Austrian/German/Czech Brass music in a marching band, and it can fit either bill.
I lack experience with playing Jazz on the flugel, though I did play "Take Five" on a birthday gig once and it sounded fine to me. Intonation is great, unless your mouthpiece does not match the horn (which often and easily happens with flugels).
The only possible drawback is that while I can shape my sound with the mouthpieces, I don't feel I can shape/differentiate the sound a lot while playing. I also don't get that fluffy/bendy Jazz Solo sound, but that might be my own limitations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: