• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Video Games and Motion Sickness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[TGM]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Video Games and Motion Sickness Reply with quote

This is probably a weird board to be asking about this, but I figure everyone on here could give a better answer than the boards with hardcore gamers who would call me a wimp -_-;

I'm not a huge gamer, but I do enjoy a good game. With all the nex gen consoles and games, do any of you suffer from extreme motion sickness?

I have found that 2 things make me sick...first person shooters (which I don't like anyway) and the popular RPG Kingdom Hearts. I'm willing to bet it's the jumpy camera that does it for me. I literally get so dizzy and nauceus that I can't stand up. I lay down and usually fall asleep, and feel horrible for the next 5 or 6 hours.

I've heard about motion sickness medicines. Though my parents (and I) would think it silly to spend money on medicine just so I could satisfy my gaming needs.

The dizziness and stuff usually kicks as soon as the camera starts getting jumpy. I've tried sitting far away from the TV (wireless controllers ^_^), as well as close up.

Are there any other ways to combat motion sickness in video games? Or should I just give up saving the magical land of Mickey?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have problems with getting nauseous when playing certain games. I have never had any issues other than playing games.

I am told the issue has to do with peripheral vision and the lack of peripheral context.
Adonias Wondwessen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I started early...but I don't recall getting motion sickness...but i grew up in a generation (still am) of gamer lock-ins and what now, so I am use to sitting in front of a screen for a good 7 hours playing nothing but shooters...the only time I got any type of motion sickness deal was...um...this one time, I had eaten a bunch of cake and ice cream and what not and then me and my friends went into my room, closed the door, turn ALL the lights off, sat in front of the television, and played a game called F-Zero GX...in first person view mode...let's just say that...it was not a good idea...at ALL...
No worries though...

Arsenal...
King 601-Katherine
Monette B4L- Lucy

Battle Field...
University of North Texas School of Music

Position..
Entering freshman, Music Education
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Napolean meets Halo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaM4bYbuz0o&search=napolean
MilesD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motion sickness huh? There this stuff you can buy over the counter at any good pharmacy called Gravol and its for motion sickness. Heres a link to read up on it.
http://www.crha-health.ab.ca/clin/sac/dimenhyd.htm

Also...and this may be a long shot...but I have heard that certain games can bring on epileptic seizures. Do you have any history of epilepsy in your family? If so Id get a test.

I dont get motion sickness playing video games...but the most exciting game I play is Super Mario Melee and The Sims 2

I probably think that its just motion sickness however so Id opt for the Gravol

Trumpet: Red Maestro and Yamaha
Mouthpiece: Holton Heim

trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's easy to get motion sick when playing video games especially FPS.

I used to get sick a lot, but I just kept playing and eventually got over it. If it's really bothering you, you could go out and buy some Gravol or even better IMO would be to just get some ginger pills or just ginger. Ginger works just as well without all the nasty side-effects of Gravol.
[TGM]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a lot of 3-D games like Super Smash Brothers Melee and Final Fantasy for hours on end, and have no problem whatsoever.

It's only the jumpy cameras of FPS's and Kingdom Hearts that bug me.

I'm going to look into the medicine, because I don't think the motion sickness is something I can put up with again. I'm getting queezy just thinking about it >.<
popotrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me sometimes. But only when I'm playing games with lots of action in them. Basically I get put under the stress of the game, my heartrate goes up and my body doesn't like that. That could be one reason. It could also be the screen coupled with putting that kind of stress on your mind. Your mind doesn't know it's a game. All it sees is aliens popping up on the screen and you having to shoot them. On the plus side, if there is an alien invasion, all the Doom players will be prepared.

Bb-Bach 37
Piccolo-Scherzer 8111
Mouthpieces-Bach 1.5B, Purviance 8
Kadune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[TGM] wrote:

It's only the jumpy cameras of FPS's and Kingdom Hearts that bug me.

I don't have any problems with it, but you should be wary of KH2; with the new gummi ship system, it'll prolly be a stomach full.

When you play, do yo focus off the screen for a couple of seconds every minute or two? I try to do this mechanically (partially so my eyes don't get entirely sore (which they don't anyway) from watching the screen. Giving your eyes something stable to focus on may relax your motion sickness.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to sound mean, but, wow, I'm really glad I stink at video games and don't play them at all.

Less stuff to worry about. lol.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
icebraker613
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sitting in front of the computer for too long gives me headaches. When i'm doing a ton of school work, i have to take breaks, or i'll start feeling sick. I guess i can never be a professional gamer! It's funny though. I love rollercoasters. I never get sick on rollercoasters.
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Video Games and Motion Sickness Reply with quote

[TGM] wrote:
This is probably a weird board to be asking about this, but I figure everyone on here could give a better answer than the boards with hardcore gamers who would call me a wimp -_-;

You're a wimp.

Sorry, I don't meant that really. I've never suffered from motion sickness (except once, when the person next to me had it and I suffered, if you know what I mean).

My best advice is; stop playing video games and practice your trumpet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: