• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

getzen Capri Vs. Yamaha 2330ll

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grumpie38
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: getzen Capri Vs. Yamaha 2330ll Reply with quote

I’ve been playing the trumpet for about a year now, after a 45 year layoff. Presently I’m playing, (attempting to play would be more accurate), an Olds Ambassador trumpet, and I also have an old Besson, (c.1895), cornet which needs some serious work done to it to make it suitable for “prime time”. Even though the Besson has some issues, I prefer playing it for 2 reasons, first, probably because of my advancing age, I like the warmer sound of a cornet, and second because of a physical problem that affects my left arm and hand, I find the shorter cornet easier to hold.

I’ve thought of getting the Besson restored, but the cash outlay would be almost as much as I would have to pay for a new horn, and it would still have some intonation problems. Therefore I would like to get a new cornet, however because living on a fixed income, and having a wife who otherwise is a fantastic person, but has a “Scrooge like” personality when it comes to spending money, the budget is tight. Presently I’m considering either a Getzen Capri or a Yamaha 2330ll. Although obviously I would play test any horn before I purchase it I’d like to get some opinions about these horns from you very knowledgeable people, and also any other horns of comparable quality that might be good candidates. I should mention I definitely want to get a short model cornet.

Thank you in advance,
Bill
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Hey Bill!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Like you, I was away from the horns for 45 years. I have been back for just over a year. My wife is just as penny pinching as yours and, I also prefer a short cornet. I am just a bit luckier than you, in that my grandfather was a locally celebrated cornetist from about 1890-1950. He left to my dad, who in turn left to me grandpa's Wurlitzer Improved Symphony short cornet which was a stencil horn made by J.W.York, right here in Grand Rapids, Mi.. I play it regularly in two community bands and in church.

Now for the tough part. These elderly horns are still available and some of the new ones are made in a'short' configuration. I do NOT find any difference in weight or balance between a standard 'American Long' cornet and a 'Patern Anglaise' ( english style short cornet) when at the lips. Have you given a standard cornet a try? You just might surprise yourself. The standard models are certainly cheaper to buy than the shepherds crook short models. There are also a great many more of them to choose from.

OLDLOU>>
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Getzen make some of the warmest sounding cornets in the world. When I helped the Salvation Army purchase some student cornets they chose Getzen Capris. I tried one for a few days and found it excellent.

Now I've been invited to join a good brass band, so I'll be buying a cornet later this year. I'm looking for a good used Eterna, but if that doesn't pan out I'll probably go for a used Capri while I look for my preference.

I don't know the Yamaha student models; however, their pro horns are excellent. Still, I'd chose Getzen ahead of Yamaha in cornets, mainly due to the Getzen's "classic" cornet tone.

Dave
FLgargoyle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were buying one of those, I'd watch eBay for a used one. The Yamahas are pretty common, and if you find one that's not beat up, it probably doesn't have much wear on it, either. The money you save could go in a fund towards getting a better horn someday, and a used horn will pretty much hold it's value. I've tried a bunch of older cornets that I buy cheap on eBay, and finally got a King Master that's exactly what I was looking for. For some reason, that particular horn has the feel and sound I was seeking. I have played other King Masters that didn't impress me, so this one is a keeper. I'm almost afraid to have it fixed up! The biggest difference I have found when playing cornet is to get yourself a big, deep vee mouthpiece. It will make any horn sound better.
'55 King Master Cornet
'40 Conn Aida Trumpet
'21 Boston Alto Horn
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the others; both Getzen and Yamaha make a fine, student grade horn. I had a 2330 (before the "II") and it worked perfectly well for me. I've since "upgraded" to an older (but better) Getzen 800 Eterna. If I were you I'd ask if I could try each of the two instruments and pick the one that sounds and feels best TO YOU.

The deep-V mouthpiece is almost mandatory if you want that "mellow, butterscotch" tone; otherwise the advise to check out the "American" wrap cornets (Yamaha 2335II or Getzen 300/400) with the more "trumpet-like" mouthpiece is very "sound". Don't dismiss Kanstul neither; they have some nice instruments as well.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 50 years off and had a 2330II which I bought on ebay for $330 in like-new condition. I decided that I wanted a short cornet with triggers. I tried 3 or 4 and settled on the Getzen 3850 because it was the only one that I liked better than the 2330II. To me that says a lot for the 2330II and I would recommend it to anyone. Hey, it's just fun to play and easy on the blow.

Stan
toottles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky to buy a Yamaha YCR 2330IIS on a eBay auction just recently. It was very inexpensive and is in almost 'Like New' condition. It is a wonderful player with a fabulous mellow sound. It seems like a large bore instrument to me since it takes a good bit of air to get it going.

It's not very easy to play pianissimo but mezzo forte and forte really sound superb. I think a little practice on the horn will make all the difference (I haven't played for over 60 years - and I've really only started on the trumpet around 1 year ago - so I need all the practice I can get.)

Back to the 2330IIS. The only serious issue I have with it is the lack of quality of the top and bottom valve caps. They are made of thin, thin metal and are a PITA to get on and off. The threads misfit, want to go on crooked, stick in many areas (despite good cleaning and oiling) and they are not nearly as well made as the rest of the instrument.

Though the 2330IIS can be had quite inexpensively (I paid $234.50 + shipping for mine,) I would have to say check out the Capri. I have some Getzen horns and I don't think you can go wrong with any horn from that company.

Please note that this post is really only my opinion and that I don't have very much experience with many of today's horns since I've been away so long.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your forum.

Kevin
Besson 2-20 English Cornet
King Master Bb Cornet '60
Evette & Schaeffer (Buffet) Bb Silver Cornet
Yamaha YCR 2330S II Cornet
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren Vache plays a Yamaha 2330II intermediate model cornet. He prefers it over the pro model Yamaha. His sound is drop dead gorgeous. He is not an equipment freak - he plays what he likes. I owned a 2330 SC cornet and was very pleased with it. I have never played a Getzen Capri but I know they are highly regarded. I have played a friends Getzen Eterna and thought it was terrific. But the best cornet I ever played and owned - hands down - was an Olds shepherd's crook Ambassador A-6S model (not to be confused with the student Ambassador model, the A-6S was a pro horn).. The sound of the A-6S cornet was something very special if you could handle the .468 bore. I couldn't, and reluctantly sold it.

http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds77/amba6s.htm
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had quite a few Yamaha 2330 cornets and cureently own 2 Getzen Capri cornets. Both are shepherd's crook models.
IMHO...the Getzens seem to articulate better and have a better upper register.
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
trumpetlover98

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been playing for about 5 years and i love the way Yamaha because of the way they play and sound they sound fantastic for any type of player
Roberts-K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a horn tech I service a fleet of Yamaha 2320 and 2335 trumpets. I see an awful lot of valve pitting on the student level Yamaha horns, so my bet would be with Getzen. Getzen valves are ahead of the game!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just in case people don't notice, this is a 7 year old resurrected thread.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

All the best

Lou

Nice catch. I was about to give my opinion on the 2330 I used to own, but 7 years ago, I hadn't bought it yet. So, I would have had no opinion of it at the time of the original post...

Edit: Yeah, I guess the playing impression is still relevant, so here it is: I suppose I've been spoiled by playing better cornets, but for me, the 2330 was stuffy, a little too bright, and had a few intonation quirks. I've not played a Capri, so I can't compare the two.

Last edited by Dale Proctor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the thread is old, the topic is good.

I cannot say about the Capri, but I have played on several Getzen 782 Eterna II cornets (step up from Capri) and several 2330 II cornets.

With 2330 you can have odd intonation issues, but with 782 less so. Compared back-to-back, and using the same mouthpiece, the same excerpt on a 782 would sound better than on 2330 in about 5:1 ratio. This pattern would repeat whether using Yamaha or Wick mouthpieces.

Both models do not project as well as the top of the line Yamaha and Getzen cornets. Both have a sound that is less sophisticated than, say, a Yamaha Xeno or a Getzen 3850.

Valves and compression were better on the Getzen 782. The 2330 was more prone to corrosion inside of the tuning slide. Tone was better on 782, however, I found I could not shape it as much as on the 2330. Essentially, the 782 had a stronger personality, that was also less flexible.

My suggestion is, if you have either the Capri or 2330, do not switch to a similar model, but get a nicely used Eterna 800.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

All the best

Lou

Nice catch.

Hi

You're very welcome.

I was about to give my opinion on the 2330 I used to own, but 7 years ago, I hadn't bought it yet. So, I would have had no opinion of it at the time of the original post...

Very good

Take Care

Lou

Edit: Yeah, I guess the playing impression is still relevant, so here it is: I suppose I've been spoiled by playing better cornets, but for me, the 2330 was stuffy, a little too bright, and had a few intonation quirks. I've not played a Capri, so I can't compare the two.

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:

Hi etc-etc

Very true. It definitely is an interesting topic worth discussing, but I wanted to point out that it was an old thread, so that participants didn't specifically give advice or recommendations to the OP, but instead posted their general views on the topic.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:

I cannot say about the Capri, but I have played on several Getzen 782 Eterna II cornets (step up from Capri) and several 2330 II cornets.

With 2330 you can have odd intonation issues, but with 782 less so. Compared back-to-back, and using the same mouthpiece, the same excerpt on a 782 would sound better than on 2330 in about 5:1 ratio. This pattern would repeat whether using Yamaha or Wick mouthpieces.

Both models do not project as well as the top of the line Yamaha and Getzen cornets. Both have a sound that is less sophisticated than, say, a Yamaha Xeno or a Getzen 3850.

Hi

I couldn't agree more regarding the sound being less sophisticated. Years ago, I nearly bought a YCR-4330G as a second cornet. I gave it a very thorough play test twice, and would have bought it as it played so well, except I decided to compare its sound to my Bach 184ML, and it just didn't sound as good.

Take Care

Lou

Valves and compression were better on the Getzen 782. The 2330 was more prone to corrosion inside of the tuning slide. Tone was better on 782, however, I found I could not shape it as much as on the 2330. Essentially, the 782 had a stronger personality, that was also less flexible.

My suggestion is, if you have either the Capri or 2330, do not switch to a similar model, but get a nicely used Eterna 800.

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my comeback with a late '70s Getzen Capri cornet, $350 from EBay. It's a great horn -- it's not a compromised student model, you can actually make music with this thing. I purchased it thinking I would quickly find its limitations and move on. But that hasn't happened: don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

After trying 5 or 6 mouthpieces, I found one (a Curry 5BCC) that really works for me and the Capri. The tone I'm getting is exactly what I want: warm and round, yet focused and clear.

Haven't played lots of other horns (or the Yamaha), but the Capri is working SO well for me right now. Sometimes I can't put the thing down!

PROs: beautiful tone, solid construction, excellent valves -- short and fast, intonation is easy to compensate for
CONs: G above the staff and higher seem slightly resistant (but that could be my ineptitude)

The slotting on the horn is a tiny bit tight: probably more suited for band and classical playing, rather than a jazz combo. It's personal preference if that's a plus or a minus.

Anyway...Getzen Capri cornet, two thumbs up here.
jbrown44

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: I love the Yamaha 2330 but love the Getzen Capri more Reply with quote

I should tell you that I've only played student level cornets. I've got an Olds Ambassador, a Yamaha 2330 (made in Japan) and a Getzen Capri that I just bought this week. I've refurbished the Yamaha and thoroughly cleaned the Getzen, so they're both squeaky clean inside and have no valve alignment issues. I have nothing bad to say about the Yamaha, aside from some intonation struggles between low C, G, and middle C, but I think that's hard to avoid with cornets that favor the dark, mellow tone color, at least in student horns, and in fact the Getzen has similar issues.

The Getzen is a work in progress, so I thought the comparison would be premature. The leadpipe has been banged and bent then repaired, I think, by a band director or someone. And the bell pipe is actually completely unsoldered where it meets the body. Amazing that it plays at all, but perhaps the fit is tight enough that it doesn't leak. I also had to fix a crumpled bell flare. But the Getzen, even in this woeful state, is just undeniably a better playing and better sounding horn by a small but meaningful margin. I feel more backpressure with the Yamaha, or it might be more accurate to say that the Getzen is more responsive, so that blowing softly produces a nice tone, whereas the Yamaha is less eager to sing when blown softly. And in the lower and upper registers the Getzen seems to retain the same round, warm tone, whereas the Yamaha sounds a bit thinner and more brassy at the extremes (still sounds lovely, but I notice a subtle difference). I also love the feel of the valves on the Getzen.

Just to be clear, I do love the Yamaha and would recommend it without reservation. I just think it's worth trying to find a Getzen if given a choice. But I suppose I would compare it to the differences between operatic tenors. Caruso might have been better than Pavarotti, but you really won't be disappointed either way lol
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight. The Capri has a half fixed leadpipe, repaired bell flare, and the bell tail isn't even soldered to the valve section (all issues that would significantly impact the play in a negative way) and yet it is still your top choice. Dang. That's some endorsement. Just imagine how good it could be.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: