• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Helpful quotes from Mr. Callet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A completely invaluable excerpt from my first lesson with Mr Callet.

Me: My college teacher always told me to try to play with a big dark sound and yet he played C trumpet in the orchestra so he was naturally brighter...

JC: Why do you think people use the C trumpet? The B-flat has the most perfect intonation but with the C trumpet they can get a sharp attack with the wrong mouthpiece and the wrong embouchure - it makes it cleaner.

JC: If you listen to a good violinist the tone is sharp and clear and brilliant; the violin doesn't sound like a bass fiddle.

JC: Herbert Clarke said in 1920, "There's no such thing as a dark sound on a soprano cornet or trumpet", and if you try to make that then you're actually gonna make things harder for yourself.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a recent phone conversation, Jerry gave me a tip that greatly increased my understanding of what MSC has me working towards:

"The 'secret' is increasing the friction between the top lip and the top of the tongue, the forward wedge. Maintain this friction at all times."

He further pointed out, speaking of himself, "The wider the grip, the greater the friction. My upper lip grips the wedge of the tongue from corner to corner - at all times."

Best to all, Kyle
goldenhornplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
In a recent phone conversation, Jerry gave me a tip that greatly increased my understanding of what MSC has me working towards:

"The 'secret' is increasing the friction between the top lip and the top of the tongue, the forward wedge. Maintain this friction at all times."

He further pointed out, speaking of himself, "The wider the grip, the greater the friction. My upper lip grips the wedge of the tongue from corner to corner - at all times."

Best to all, Kyle

Thanks for sharing that recent tip from Jerry. No doubt, it's one worth sharing. Several have asked me what Jerry meant when he spoke of "grip". I always thought of it as contact or holding two things together, in this case the tongue against the top lip. To me, "friction" seems very appropriate in this context. And, as you point out, the greater the contact area the greater the grip or friction. Keep 'em coming, Kyle!
tptguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken, Here's another tip Jerry recently gave me that adds to the above. When he's playing most efficiently, "The upper teeth almost seem to vibrate with the sound." This concept, in combination with the above, greatly helps me feel the extremely solid grip needed to maximize inside-the-mouth compression - especially above the staff.

Best always, Kyle
goldenhornplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good one! It makes sense due to the aperture being between the top of the tongue and the cutting edge of the top teeth. I'll try being sensitive to that but having lost my natural top front teeth (the reason I started with Jerry in the first place), I may not detect that as much as someone else.
tptguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Avoid lip movement. Conscious movement of the lips is always detrimental."
addseo1115

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, That is good suggestions. sbobet111
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:

Best to all, Kyle

Is this tip related to the most extreme upper register position? Or does this relate to how the chops are at base level?

Thanks.
tptguy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco,
"at ALL times"

As compulsively as Fr Horn players, we trumpeters gain comfort by distinguishing our low, mid, and upper register abilities. Most players count their laurels in just 2 of the 3. Yet in our hearts, we all know that a good trumpeter must control all 3 registers.

If you leave the upper register for a future epiphany it will rarely come. Start with distinct, solid grip (friction) in the low and mid registers and you lay the essential foundation for the upper 3rd.

How do you know if you are on track? As always, listen for SIGNIFICANTLY improved focus, power, intonation, and ease of tone. When you hit it, your ears will definitely know. If you aren't sure then call Jerry. He'll hear it immediately and put on the right track.
tptguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco,
"at ALL times"

As compulsively as Fr Horn players, we trumpeters gain comfort by distinguishing our low, mid, and upper register abilities. Most players count their laurels in just 2 of the 3. Yet in our hearts, we all know that a good trumpeter must control all 3 registers.

If you leave the upper register for a future epiphany it will rarely come. Start with distinct, solid grip (friction) in the low and mid registers and you lay the essential foundation for the upper 3rd.

How do you know if you are on track? As always, listen for SIGNIFICANTLY improved focus, power, intonation, and ease of tone. When you hit it, your ears will definitely know. If you aren't sure then call Jerry. He'll hear it immediately and put on the right track.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
Rocco,
"at ALL times"

Thanks for the response, interesting. How is Jerry doing these days? I would like to have him listen to me over the phone. Can he really tell over the phone? That's pretty amazing.
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:

Thanks for the response, interesting. How is Jerry doing these days? I would like to have him listen to me over the phone. Can he really tell over the phone? That's pretty amazing.

I've had lessons with him over the phone and he can always tell when things aren't as they should be. It doesn't take long for you to notice yourself once you've had some pointers.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
tptguy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary hurdle in moving forward is learning to hear the important stuff - important for both musical and chop development. As TrumpetPlanet has pointed out, once Jerry gets you on track it's much, much easier to start diagnosing yourself (as well as others). But don't hesitate to call Jerry anytime you get off track. His ears will always get you pointed back in the right direction. And yes, he can do this extremely well over the phone. If you get in deep trouble then he'll want to see you in person. But the phone is a great tool for intermediate checkups. In the beginning, it's all about chops. But in the long run, it's all about ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: