• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge 7 Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
I'm wondering if there was a transitional time when CA manufactured parts were assembled in OH by King workers.

I think I've read that this did happen, but I have no first hand knowledge of it.

Brassnose wrote:
Any opinions on UMI horns other than that they are not as highly regarded? I’ve seen a lot of less positive posts about them but what got me thinking in the first place is the fact that when I bought the Bach in the signature in 1992 the runner up was a Benge.

So, the main issue with UMI Benge horns is some years after the Anaheim plant was closed and production was moved to Eastlake, UMI stopped making the original Benge models (3X, 5X, CG, etc) and slapped the "Benge" name on UMI horns, some which were solid, some less so. Some were intermediate level, some were maybe professional level. They also did this with the "King" and "Conn" brands as well.

Here's an example. The King "Silver Flair" of the 1990's is an intermediate level horn that has little to do with the old HN White King Silver Flairs of the 1970's and earlier. Similarly, the "Benge" models of slightly later UMI vintage have no real relation to previous Benge models. Thus, some call these "Benge in Name Only." It's as if CarolBrass bought the Bach label, didn't copy the Strad, and eventually just sold whatever their current production was under the Bach label.

These horns aren't necessarily poor horns, per say. In fact, I've read some pretty good reports of how some of them play. They're just not Benge instruments as designed by Elden and others when Benge was in Chicago, Burbank, and later Anaheim. Same with the later UMI Kings and Conns - which have really nothing to do with the vintage production models of their heyday.

As to how the Eastlake built Benge 3X, 5X, and so forth models are, I don't have first hand experience on, so I'll let those who do comment on them.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
OK, third attempt to post … I know this is an ages-old thread BUT: I have just come across a Benge 7 (not 7X), serial 987 XXX and wonder when and where it was made.

Bell engraving says Resno tempered Bell 7 custom made by E. Benge USA, no indication of a city.

Is it Elmar's (Barliman) Benge?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/533895751132122/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/533895751132122/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

Likely UMI Benge from Eastlake.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: