• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

trumpet/sax duet book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paharver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: trumpet/sax duet book Reply with quote

Hey,

Do you guys know of any good duet books for trumpet (in Bb) and saxophone (alto, tenor)?
Preferably classical, but jazz works, too.
This may or may not be a hard question to answer, especially from the classical angle. As to difficulty, somewhere from intermediate to hard.

Thanks in advance,

Philip
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know as far as jazz goes, Rich Wiley has a set of books that you can play duets together with, he has them in C, Bb, Eb, and bass clef I believe, I jam with my bone playing friend quite a bit. But, if your pal plays tenor you should be able to use any ole trumpet duet book since tenor also reads in Bb, best of luck!
paharver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks, I'll look into that as Rich Willey teaches at my school.

But as to using just a book of trumpet duets, we tried that and it didn't really work, because things that are written for trumpet are usually harder to play/don't sound as good/don't work with saxophone, just as saxophone duets are harder/too high/generally weird for trumpet. So I was mainly wondering if there was a publication that was specially designed for these significantly different instruments, and the different types of playing suited for each of them.

Philip
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of sacred music books written for multiple instruments with piano or organ accompaniment. Keith Snell has a series of hymns, wedding music, country, etc. written for duets or trios plus piano, with books for a variety of instruments. Might be worth checking out.

You could buy a trumpet book and sax book and trade off the melody parts. Plus, they are easy enough to imrpov around (that's what I often do for offertories when it's just me and my bride on piano/organ).

HTH - Don

Last edited by Don Herman rev2 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
paharver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe even if there are some suggestions for any good, generic classical duet books ranging on the harder side for 2 Bb instruments, or possibly for Bb and Eb instruments. Some that are not necessarily instrument-specific and that would work well with nearly any two instruments, i.e. trumpet and alto sax (or tenor if need be) just because it's been kind of hard to find stuff that he (sax player) and I both like and can play decently well. Something more fun and music-like, rather than stuff that sounds like it came from the back of a method book (which we've tried and didn't work very well).

But anyway, thanks for your continued help--

Philip
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 15 years, does someone discovered a great duet book for trumpet and tenor saxophone ?

If possible pieces from the jazz or even classical repertoire (not a piece written by the writer himself)

Thank you
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For "classical" you could play the duets from the Arban book. Downloadable PDFs for free.

"Jazz" try the Bugs Bower duet books, http://charlescolin.com/product/bop-duets/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CBop%20Duets%2C%E2%80%9D%20written%20by%20Bugs%20Bower%20and%20edited,and%20rhythms%2C%20independence%20in%20ensemble%20playing%2C%20and%20range.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, after doing some researches (in vain), I came too to the same conclusion: Arban's duets et this famous jazz book. I'll give a try
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Trumpet sax duets Reply with quote

Mel Broiles had an Eb Trumpet book that had duets for Eb and Bb trumpet. I believe Charles Colin is now publishing his stuff. If not Colin , try Q Press.

LCM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: