• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When to Start Stamp?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: When to Start Stamp? Reply with quote

I need one (or more) of you Stamp experts to answer a question for me: How early in a student's "career" can/should one start using Stamp?

I have a student who will be going into 9th grade next fall, getting braces off in a few weeks. We've already spent a lot of time on relaxed playing and resonant sound, and I've already worked out a "post-braces" strategy. Now I'm wondering if this might not be a good time to start some Stamp as well. I'm thinking specifically about
  • Adding the #3 warm-up to her daily routine and
  • Adding the #6 exercise as we start to put more emphasis on memorizing all the scales/key signatures.
This student's can currently play to a top-of-staff G, but there's no telling what the changes in her mouth are going to do to her range, so I like #6 -- each day she can work the assigned key signature to the top of whatever her range is that day without stressing about where that is.

I don't see a down side, but I'm far from expert on this, and I'd just as soon not have the family buy the book until it will really do some good. I suppose I really need to get off my duff and order the Poper book for myself as well ...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
ComposeAl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Your student sounds excellent. I would get her right on to the Stamp. One of my high school buddies (back in the 60's) studied with Jimmy during his high school years. Wow, what difference that made in his playing!

I studied with Jim in college and sure wish I'd started earlier.

Best,

Al
sdgtpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hosted a masterclass with Michael Sachs and he suggested to a 7th grader (for what we were working on) that he might look into doing the stamp warm up 3B.

He also mentioned to just be smart and not worry about the extremes of the registers of each exercise
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk my brother was in 5th when he did his first...of course thats cuz i was doing them...

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mambopope

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also might try using Boyde Hood's routine, it is a variation on the Stamp material. It works really well for me and some of my students that are ready for the next step. I do not know who has a computer copy of them, I know the buzzing exercises are up on here on this website but the Stamp/Hood routine is not on any computer program. I have a hand written copy that Boyde gives all of his students, if you want I can email them to you. Just PM me with your address.
Ariel
shortymctrpt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i study four years under former stamp students, and i dont think it's ever too early. if you are worried about it being too advanced start with some schlossberg and use that as a foundation. the 'ode to stamp" should be fine as well, and a great building block.
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the bottom line on #3 warmup.... if the student can't play this, what can they play? Pedal tones are probably new to the student, but there's nothing strenuous or dangerous about this stuff.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, time for an update ...

The transition from braces to no braces was pretty much a non-issue.

I've got this student working on Stamp #3 and the first page of #6. We're not sweating the pedal stuff in #3; the pedals aren't there yet, but we're working down to them. She's making great progress!

I've liked these exercises ever since my teacher started having me work on some Stamp. Now that I'm on the teaching side of the equation, I am really impressed with how powerful they are as pedagogical tools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: