• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Severinsen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the Getzen Severinsen trumpets have a good reputation. But what about the Conn Severinsen models? These pop up quite often on eBay. Does anyone have experience with these horns?

Martin
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the Conn 1000B with Severinsen name on it. From what I've heard they were at best student horns. I believe at the time the Constellation was the pro horn.
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Severinsen Conn - I think I'm the only one who has one. It's a good horn - but not great. What drew me to it was its responsiveness and ease in blowing the upper register, however, the lower register is a little stuffy. I've had problems with valves hanging up. The first valve slide thumb hook fell off. It's hard to get a full sound out of it even if you use a bucket for your mouthpiece. But...I like the horn. I paid a little over $400 for it 2nd hand shortly after they came out. I use it for a practice horn and on gigs every once in awhile. I think it would make a great student upgrade horn.
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a new horn in the old one I had. I had been contemplating purchasing a new Conn Vintage One and I had one on loan from my music dealer to try out. A sweet horn and I was ready to get it until I took the Modular Valve Weight I had on the third valve of the Vintage (I find that 3 of them screwed on the third valve only works great) and put it on the Conn 1000B to see if it would fit - it did - and did it ever make a difference! Tightened up the sound, tone, and slots all through the range. I couldn't believe it. I switched back and forth between the Sev and the Vintage and I've come to the conclusion that I don't need that Vintage One as bad as I thought. I think I'll order a set of MVW's and start playing my Severinsen again.
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to photos of Doc playing the 1000.

http://www.CohenBrothers.org/cohenbrothers/doc_severinsen_horns.htm
Benge Bb, 5x, ml #8162
Benge C, 2x+, mlp #7481
Benge D/Eb, ml #6579
Benge Flug, ml #17xxx
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885
Boston 3-Star 1 NE Plus Ultra LP #22019
Martin Committee #151322
Bach Strad (NY) 7-10-62, #2003
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conn 1000B was marketed as a student horn in the 80's. The Top line Conn/Severinsen model of the time was the SS1. This is the horn that used the Monette leadpipe design that Conn had purchased from him. That actually gave Monette the seed money to put his operation in high gear, as I understand it. There were 4 different models SS1-SS4. I believe the differences were in the bell material and flare.

I had some stuents playing this horn years ago and always thought it was a rather underrated instrument.

Scott Apelgren
The Horn Section
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Scott, thanks for this info - I have an SS4. I didn't know there was a difference between it a 1000B. I am still be amazed at how great this horn is sounding and playing with the MVW on the 3rd valve. Does anyone else have further background info on this horn?
LaserBoy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Conn "Doc Severinsen" 1000B trumpet. My parents bought it for me sometime
around 9th grade (I was still playing my starter Bundy at the time). I suppose that
would be around 1985. I think I have some papers around somewhere.

The Severinsen 1000B was marketed as a "step-up" student horn, with "features not
usually seen on a trumpet at that price" like a first-valve saddle, third valve stop
rod, Amado water keys. The tops of the valve buttons are concave (dished in), so your fingers don't slide off center. It has a big bell, just under 5 inch diameter, rose brass. I think the sound tends to be on the bright side. (Maybe they used a rose brass bell to
round it out a bit?)

My trumpet teacher at the time owned a music store, and he sold it to me. He sold a lot of those Severinsen 1000B's that year. I think he gave me a good one, since I have played two others that were not quite as good. I suppose there are quality control issues with any assembly-line instrument.

Doc's name was only on it for one year. I don't know why. I don't know if Doc asked
for more money, or if he was unhappy with the trumpet or with Conn. Maybe Conn thought they could go it alone. I just don't know. The next year
it was called simply the "Conn 1000B".

I can second the remark about a difficult low register. I used to think it was just me. Now that I've played a 1957 Olds Recording (which has a beautiful dark warm rich
low register), I've discovered that my low register problems are only partly me.

--LaserBoy
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I have found a few photos of "Severinsen 1000B" trumpets that are being sold on line, but they DO look like student models; brass lacquer with amato water keys on both the tuning and 3rd valve slides, screw type keep/from/falling/off 3rd valve slide mechanism, and screw down music lyre holder/removable 3rd finger ring assembly.

My SS4 is silver, amato key on tuning slide only, fixed 3rd slide finger ring, no 3rd slide keep/from/falling/off mechanism at all.

I don't have Severinsen's signature stamped on the bell either. I'm curious as to what year it was manufactured.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SS1 "Severinsen Series" proline Conn trumpet (short-lived early 80s) is not to be confused with the later 1000B Severinsen model, which was a step-up model. In the early 80s, Doc had an interest in Conn and there was a big metal abstract sculpture of Doc playing a trumpet in front of the Conn corporate headquarters in Elkhart, IN.
azerba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the 1000B Severinsen, it was an intermediate horn. I have a SS1 and to my knowledge all of the SS1 through SS4 do not have a signature like the l000B's. The problem is that Doc is kind of Particular on his horns and what the quality of the product is like. He would drive Getzen corporation crazy by zining in and taking a horn and popping out. I have my original Getzen Eterna 900S, with trigger about 1965 or 1966 SK 1470 I also have a Serinsen/Akright Bel Canto, if there is a big difference in both of these compared to my Conn SS1, the Conn is Stuffy and not free flowing as the other two, and kind of falls short in the upper register and just does not feel as balanced to me.
I am interesting to see what the Conn 100B Severinsen is like since I am bidding on two.
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone shed light on the differences between SS1 - SS4 models? On the end of the my SS4 bell where it enters the first valve casing there is stamped a "D." Any idea?
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Conn Severinsen SS Reply with quote

I wanted to resurrect this thread because I'm finding that this trumpet seems to be shrouded in mystery as if Conn wants to forget it even happened.

Question: What's the difference between the SS1, 2, 3, and 4 model?

What does the letter stamp (D in my case) on the casing end of the bell mean?

Hope someone can help. Thanks.
thecosmo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SS4 that I got when I was in high school (c. 1985). Since shelving the SS4 in 1990, I've played a Bach 37 and a Xeno.

I recently got the SS4 out of the case and played it for a while. It is not a bad playing horn. However, I didn't remember how bright it plays - this horn can really cut.

The thing I remember about the Conn Severnson Series was that the different models have different bore sizes. I think that the SS4 has a .464 bore, while the SS1 has a .459 bore. I'm not sure about the SS2 and SS3.

I found the following info on an e-bay ad . . .

"When Doc Severinsen left Getzen about 1980 he went with the Conn company for a few years. This was before Conn became a part of UMI and was still an independent company. Doc helped design a new line of professional trumpets which consisted of the "SS series" and the student "1000B Doc Severinsen Model". There was the SS 1,which was a bright lead/ solo horn which Doc himself played; then there were the SS 2, a light french type,and the 3 and 4 which progressively got darker in tone. The SS 1 was Doc's personal model. Jazz star Red Rodney also played and endorsed them."

I noticed the "d" on my bell section aswell. I also noticed a "4" on the leadpipe. I assume the "4" denotes that it is the SS4 leadpipe. I'm not sure what the "d" stands for (maybe "dark" or "dank" or "dangerous").

I'm curious to know about serial numbers on these instruments. My serial number is 0083, so I'm guessing that Conn had a separate numbering system for the SS horns. But, does anyone know if all the SS1s were numbered separately, all the SS2s were numbered separately, etc., or were all the SS horns numbered together (regardless of model)?
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SS-4 serial # is 300623.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CONN Severinsen SS-1 just sold on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3776644284&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Hans

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a handful of SS-horns were sold in Europe. Mostly because of the name . Conn would have been smart if they renamed the model before the sent them over here.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecosmo wrote:
I'm curious to know about serial numbers on these instruments. My serial number is 0083, so I'm guessing that Conn had a separate numbering system for the SS horns. But, does anyone know if all the SS1s were numbered separately, all the SS2s were numbered separately, etc., or were all the SS horns numbered together (regardless of model)?

I don't knoe the answer to your second question, but yes, Conn used a separate numbering system for the Severinsen Series (SS-1 etc.) professional trumpets. I remember clearly that the numbers were like yours- 0083 and so on.)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting on the arrival of the SS-1. I'll post my impressions here when it arrives and I've had some time to acclimate. Bought it as a spare for outdoor and travel in hopes I might also get a horn for Big Band and Lead playing until I can spring for another Kanstul (Chicago, WB or 150x).

Greg
Kanstul 1500A
Conn SS-1 (soon)
Marcinkiewicz 5, 5S and 7
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conn SS-1 arrived Friday. This is a lacquer horn in overall very good condition. A few small dents I may try to have removed, but the lacquer is very good in general. I had a few minutes to play it Friday evening, and used it Sunday at church. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have played several pro trumpets that didn't play as well as this horn for me and my setup. While it is relatively bright, it still has a nice core to the sound. The blow is certainly different and maybe a little tighter than my Kanstul 1500A, but not so much so that I can't switch between the horns. I really need some more time with the horn to get a better feel for the differences, and also need to experiment with my mouthpieces a bit. I normally play my Marcinkiewicz 5, but the Marcinkiewicz 7 (same rim as the 5 with a slightly shallower cup) seems to really bring this horn to life in a way I haven't experienced with other horns. I have a Big Band rehearsal tomorrow night (Tuesday) where I'll try to play the SS-1 and M7 exclusively.

I'll post more thoughts as I have an opportunity to get used to the SS-1, but I think it will be a good travel/outdoor horn for sure.
Greg
Kanstul 1500A
Conn SS-1
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
King 2070C
Marcinkiewicz 5, 5S and 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: