• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Serial Number on a Bundy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hemi Powered Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Serial Number on a Bundy Reply with quote

I've got an old Bundy student horn that I've been marching with for about 3 years now. It was bought new by my second cousin, who graduated HS in 1973. It was probably bought much earlier than that.

The serial number is 222678. Its label says, Designed by Vincent Bach BUNDY H&A Selmer, Inc. I think it may be a post '61 considering that it was purchased in the Sixties, and that it has the Selmer and Bach names on it.

Just how old is this thing?
fcirkse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - standard Bach serial number lists put it at 1981- 1982.
Hemi Powered Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's kind of new. I thought it was Sixties, because that's when he got it.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you are probably right about the serial number. The Bach guides probably don't include the Bundys, try under Selmer and see if you get a more accurate year.

The Bundy has taken a pretty bad rap over the years, kind of the Rodney Dangerfield of the trumpet and cornet world, but a bunch of top notch players are the ones complaining, so maybe they really aren't as bad as some would say. I'd certainly rate them better than a Director.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
I suspect you are probably right about the serial number. The Bach guides probably don't include the Bundys, try under Selmer and see if you get a more accurate year.

The Bundy has taken a pretty bad rap over the years, kind of the Rodney Dangerfield of the trumpet and cornet world, but a bunch of top notch players are the ones complaining, so maybe they really aren't as bad as some would say. I'd certainly rate them better than a Director.

For the market they were intended, the Bundy was a decent instrument. It was durable and its playing characteristics could be described as "medium-high resistance". Just right for a younger trumpet player who needed something "to push against" when learning how to play.

I always used to fall off my chair laughing when people would compare Bundys to various superhorns or even the better assembly line trumpets. As if that comparison was meaningful enough to make a point about how well a superhorn plays.

But I did get impatient when some people would compare Bundys to the Chinese-Indian garbage horns out there. Again, there was no comparison. A Bundy can last for years, had real valves and had workable intonation.
DR_DIRT_MAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Age of Bundy Reply with quote

I have an older bundy that my father got for me second hand when I was in the 6th grade back in 1968. This horn and others that I've assumed were from the sixties vintage that I've seen on ebay all have nickel plating on the outside top half of the valve casings and just say Bundy H & A Selmer Inc. Elkhart Ind. on the bell with some fancy design on the top of the bell heading back up the horn. No mention of Bach. The serial numbers on the ones I"ve seen like these are also quite low. Mine is 42999. Hope this helps.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bundy line has their own serial number sequence apart from the Strad line.

FWIW, my Bundy cornet #409778 was purchased new in August 1975.

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cornet I had was 253XXX, in 1974. It was well worn then.
davyar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents bought mine new in 1968. Serial number is 158472. When one of the braces came unattached from the bell, I made it into a Dizzy Gillespie model!

Olds Recording Trumpet (1968)
Olds Ambassador Cornet (1950)
Olds Ultratone Bugle
Lyon & Healy Cornet (1930)
Conn Perfected Wonder (1912)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: