• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is a Monique Trumpet a good brand?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:
How about a Titan trumpet?

Why do you ask for advice, then after receiving it, keep asking......

If your budget is $150, get an Olds Ambassador.

If $250 - $350 get a used Getzen (Eterna, Severinson, etc.) or good looking Yamaha 23xx.

If you can go up to the $500 range, pick up a Yamaha 4xxx or 6xxx series trumpets.

Stop with the how about Titan, Cecilio, Bakman, Canstool, etc.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
...Cecilio, Bakman, Canstool, etc.

Heh, I ran into a "Bessons" the other day, now that I think of it.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
Why do you ask for advice, then after receiving it, keep asking......

Because he doesn't like the answer.

"Must have shiny new horn....must have shiny new horn...."
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I can't imagine why anyone would want a black trumpet (ref. initial message of this thread). It is my personal belief that the black, red, rainbow, etc. colored horns target the teen set because they "look cool". That's fine, but just because it looks cool doesn't say anything for the way it's going to play, or how long that cool painted finished is going to last. IMHO, if you're serious about playing trumpet, go with brass or silver, or any combination of brass, silver and rose brass.

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Holton Collegiate cornet (circa 1953)
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
regularsopguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:
Its on ebay for like $120 and if i dont like it i can just send it back.

it's overpriced at $120
ive seen them for $99 at "pawn" shops

they are poor quality and no repair shop will touch it
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:
What is a good brand for a High School student that has played for 9 years and is on a very tight buget.
Hi. "Tight budget" means different things to different people. I will assume that you want to spend as little money as possible to get a decent horn. You can not have it all. If you want a great-looking new-ish horn, the quality at that price will suffer. Vice versa--if you want a very good brand horn, the price will not allow you to get a new-ish one.

Several knowledgeable folks have given good advice here. IMHO, if you want a good brand for a HS student on a "very tight budget", I would hit Ebay and search brands like Conn, Olds, King, Yamaha, even Selmer or Bundy, again, depending on the description of the horn. Here is a student Yamaha: http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-YTR-2320-with-case-Good-Student-Model_W0QQitemZ320026701066QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41401QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
a little more gets you a few Conns to choose from. A little less gets you some Selmer/Bundy to choose from. Don't panic--and if you have a choice between adding money to either your horn, your CD collection, or your wardrobe, I would add the mony to the horn and get the best one you can afford.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedevilisbad wrote:
CalifTrumpeter wrote:
Its on ebay for like $120 and if i dont like it i can just send it back.

You can't send horns on ebay back! What are they teaching kids these days? While you at it buy a first act horn from Wal-Mart.

Hey man! My First Act Pro Jazz model is top shelf!............Which top shelf, I've no clue!
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:

Look, could you please heed these guys advice? Just check out and play some well known names that are mentioned in this post. Personally, I was extremely lucky to have parents who pushed me with my musical pursuits. I started playing trumpet when I was 8 yrs. old and they rented a coronet for the first year, along with private lessons from the start. A year later, for my birthday, I was rewarded with a brand new Olds Ambassador-Fullerton issue, priced at $152. The following year and more progress we got a Mendez- $365. To this day, I still love to play my Ambassador.
I guess my point is that if money is hard for you to come by, I'd get a job to start with, save the money and buy a good reputable horn. Come on now, if you've been playing for 9 yrs. and you've got these kinds of issues?........... My friend, you don't even want to know what I was doing on the horn after 3 yrs., let alone 9! I do wish you the best of luck, though!
How 'bout it, "plp"?
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had experience with beginner students and Monique trumpets. The 2 I had to deal with were junk, valves would not work and the slotting was as far off as it could possibly be. The last one was 4 years ago so things may have improved but I would not take the chance.

The real issue with buying brands such as Monique or Titan, at least in the state of Iowa, is that none of the repair shops connected with the major music stores will attempt to repair them, leaving the purchaser with little recourse. (It's worse with most woodwinds which always need tweaking, even new, name brand instruments.) You most likely will not be able to get a refund from anyone selling these things on eBay, many of the sellers are not in the US. Shipping is often quite high, too, sometimes almost as much as the horn. So, in the end you will likely end up having to buy 2 instruments or drop out. Any used US standard brand will be repairable and be a better value than horns made in Pakistan, India, Taiwan or China at this point. Maybe someday it will change- I can remember when I first started teaching that Yamaha had a terrible reputation here. I understand that Selmer/Bach is starting to outsource parts to China now.
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:

Forget the junk horns. Buy the Olds from Jason.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
R.A.S.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter

Let me back up a bit. What trumpet do you have now?
What improvements are you looking for over your horn?
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:
What is a good brand for a High School student that has played for 9 years and is on a very tight buget.

One of your better bets would be the Besson "International" made by Kanstul. They float around on Ebay for $200+ depending on condition. My son and I have used one of these for 8 years now with no real problems (had a valve guide need replacing due to breakage during cleaning). Great intonation and a quality, American manufacturer.
drdoct
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was like you calitrumpet. I HAD to have a shiny horn. I bought one of those cheapies off Ebay and thought I coudnt go wrong because all I ever played on was a stupid beat up Bundy. After playing 2 C scales (first things I always play when I pick up my horn) I realized I had reached a whole new level of manufacturing. There are tons of different names to these instruments and they change every time sales fall because word gets out that they suck. For very little money you can get a Kanstul 610 off Ebay. Mine is silver plate, but I'm sure the laquer ones sound great too. I can honestly say that I've never been limited by the 610, it's my darned lips that cant hold. Most are shiny too . You may even find a Yamaha cheap if you look in the right places. Just dont give in to the buy it now name changes every month horn because you think it cant be worse than you have because it will be. Guaranteed!
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you keep ignoring the quewstions others have asked:

WHAT HORN ARE YOU PLAYING NOW?

How much, in dollars, can you spend?
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he's in class and can't answer your "quewstions". Or he's been devistated by the answers of a bunch of know-it-all's and needs to experience Monique misery first hand...

btw, just to be clear, "Bessons" isn't "Besson". "Bessons" is another fraudulent Chinese name for a trumpet shaped object.
PhatMon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is a Monique Trumpet a good brand? Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:
I'm a senior in High School and I'm planning on buying a Black Monique Trumpet on Ebay.

What did you play in band up untill 12th grade? Trumpet I hope cause I dont know too many teachers that would let a student change instruments there last year of school just does not make sense. Also I cant see a music program in any school letting a student join band there senior year....my point being you saying you are a senior and want to buy a trumpet. Do you mean you are a senior and want to start learning the trumpet??? IF so then cool but keepaway from the monique...if you are looking on ebay check out some Olds Ambassadors or some Yamaha models

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLDS-AMBASSADOR-FULLERTON-CALF-TRUMPET-YEAR-1977_W0QQitemZ250028012680QQihZ015QQcategoryZ16214QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olds-Ambassador-Trumpet-w-2-MOUTHPIECES-CASE_W0QQitemZ110031971593QQihZ001QQcategoryZ16214QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dont do the monique thing you wont be happy believe me.

Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrank wrote:
btw, just to be clear, "Bessons" isn't "Besson". "Bessons" is another fraudulent Chinese name for a trumpet shaped object.

Close, but not quite. "Bessons" is from India, not China. There seems to have been a drop-off in the flogging of these bits of tin lately. (But they're still not to be touched with a 10 foot pole!)
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich G wrote:
Why do you keep ignoring the questions others have asked:

WHAT HORN ARE YOU PLAYING NOW?

How much, in dollars, can you spend?

Edited to correct my typo "qwestions" so pfrank will be nice to me...

Can I hrelp it if I have tqwo fingetrs that hiyt two keys at oncwe?
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalifTrumpeter wrote:

You're not going to get a good new horn for $150. Go for a used Olds Ambassador if you limit is $150.

What do you play now? If you've been playing for nine years, your trumpet is probably better than any of this crap you're seeing on Ebay. Maybe 80-bucks spent on cleaning and valve alignment would be better, depending what trumpet you're starting with.

With a $150 budget you're better off with used horns than new horns. There's nothing good in that price range, YET. (I suspect there'll actually be good trumpets under $200 in the next two or three years, but it hasn't happened yet, so far as I know).

Dave
jrubio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Kanstul 610 being advertised in the marketplace for $425.00 by a TH member or go on to Dillons website & check out their used horns some are going less than $400.00.
Holton Firebird St 303 1984 silver/gold trim
Mpc's Trpt Bob Reeves 42s 692s and 42F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: