• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is a Monique Trumpet a good brand?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaukoo wrote:

That crossed my mind as well, but the giveaway (besides the serial number) to me was the round pinky ring on the $99 one, which is typical of the LA Ambassadors.

The serial number of the 2nd one definitely puts it in the LA era. A quick check on Lars Kirmser's site puts it at 1953. I just noticed that the bell has a downward cast to it, something my repair guy would straighten out in a minute for no charge.

http://www.musictrader.com/serialnos.html
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootsall wrote:
Wasn't there a company that had purchased the "Olds" name and about a year ago was pumping these things out on Ebay? I recall some discussions about one horn that looked almost identical to a Getzen Eterna 800 cornet but that was called an "Olds".....

Am I having a senior moment or can someone confirm the above?

The horns advertised in that Ebay listing sure look suspicious... especially considering the appearance of the cases as well!

Hey, Tootsall, no worries-we all have 'em! Anyway, as far as Olds is concerned, it appears that they are in Westfield, NJ and call themselves "F.E. Olds & Sons-Makers of Fine Instruments since 1908".
They offer a full line of band and orchestral instruments all the way up to professional level. They also submit the names Reynolds Instruments and International Strings. As far as trumpets go, there is a model that is strikingly similar to the Fullerton Ambassador and they do offer the NP12 Professional series with a couple of options. In this weird world of greed and fame, who really knows what's going on? The knock-offs will no doubt continue- i.e.-Besson- "Bessons". I've play tested as of late some "professional" grade trumpets, all the big names, and quite frankly none of the current crop is of the quality and playability of my Olds horns!
That whole Conn-Selmer conglomerate is quite the joke and they have ruined some precious names for the sake of greed.
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich G wrote:
beaukoo wrote:

That crossed my mind as well, but the giveaway (besides the serial number) to me was the round pinky ring on the $99 one, which is typical of the LA Ambassadors.

The serial number of the 2nd one definitely puts it in the LA era. A quick check on Lars Kirmser's site puts it at 1953. I just noticed that the bell has a downward cast to it, something my repair guy would straighten out in a minute for no charge.

http://www.musictrader.com/serialnos.html

Hey, RichG, I've a question for you or whoever. I just checked that Olds S/N site out and found something interesting. I am the original owner of a Fullerton Ambassador #3XXXXX, a Fullerton Mendez #3XXXXX, and a custom Opera #4XXXXX. Now the Ambassador and the Mendez were ordered in late 1962 from Shores Music in Flint, MI and arrived in Jan. 63. The Opera's S/N coincides with Kirmser's chart, datewise, but the other two don't. Do you think that these horns were sitting around for a spell somewhere or what? They were in their cases, sealed in plastic bags and definetly had not been played subsequent to leaving the factory. None of this matters now, however if the chart is correct, it would suggsest that my horns were built in 1959- some 3-4 yrs before I took delivery. What do you think?
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm puzzled by something...

Why would a high school senior, be wasting his money on something that he won't be using after high school?

Take that money, and put it toward your car insurance, gas, cell phone, or COLLEGE. If you're not going to pursue the trumpet after you graduate, then don't waste any money on it now.
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristan the man 2000 wrote:
My friend got one of the Piccolo trumpets, played like a funnel and garden hose. Ended up as a lamp. As with people, trumpets can have a really shiny exterior, but a really crappy inside. Then in a few years, the "new exterior" has worn off while the old trumpet hasn't changed much and is starting to look pretty good, but it's too late to switch over.

AHH-SO, GRASSHOPPA!!!!!!!!!!
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swordfishtrombone wrote:

Hey, RichG, I've a question for you or whoever. I just checked that Olds S/N site out and found something interesting. I am the original owner of a Fullerton Ambassador #3XXXXX, a Fullerton Mendez #3XXXXX, and a custom Opera #4XXXXX. Now the Ambassador and the Mendez were ordered in late 1962 from Shores Music in Flint, MI and arrived in Jan. 63. The Opera's S/N coincides with Kirmser's chart, datewise, but the other two don't. Do you think that these horns were sitting around for a spell somewhere or what? They were in their cases, sealed in plastic bags and definetly had not been played subsequent to leaving the factory. None of this matters now, however if the chart is correct, it would suggsest that my horns were built in 1959- some 3-4 yrs before I took delivery. What do you think?

I think it's very possible the horns could have been sitting in a storeroom for all that time. It's not unusual for New Old Stock (NOS) to pop up every now and them with horns and mouthpieces. It's also possible that earlier LA parts were used on horns that were first assembled in Fullerton following the move. Many of the early Fullerton Ambassadors had the LA pinky ring, before they changed to the pinky hook. Why should they throw out all those LA rings, right?

Here's an Olds Central warranty card from 1954 showing the Fullerton address.

http://rouses.net/trumpet/1954_warranty/1954_warranty.htm

Have you checked the Olds central website? There's a lot of great information on Olds history.

http://rouses.net/trumpet/rstewart.htm

http://rouses.net/trumpet/agard.htm
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich G wrote:
swordfishtrombone wrote:

I think it's very possible the horns could have been sitting in a storeroom for all that time. It's not unusual for New Old Stock (NOS) to pop up every now and them with horns and mouthpieces. It's also possible that earlier LA parts were used on horns that were first assembled in Fullerton following the move. Many of the early Fullerton Ambassadors had the LA pinky ring, before they changed to the pinky hook. Why should they throw out all those LA rings, right?

Here's an Olds Central warranty card from 1954 showing the Fullerton address.

http://rouses.net/trumpet/1954_warranty/1954_warranty.htm

Have you checked the Olds central website? There's a lot of great information on Olds history.

http://rouses.net/trumpet/rstewart.htm

http://rouses.net/trumpet/agard.htm

Good point! Yeh, Ive checked Rouse. I have done searches on "Ralph" Mendez and R. Dale Olson and found some really interesting info- stuff about the Martin Commitee and the notorious Olds valve clearance tales.
One of my sources, who's a lot older than I am, has told me that the better horns of the late 50's, early 60's like Benge, Schilke, Olds, etc. did not sell like the horns do today, thus there was a backstock of NOS.
I remember my first teacher, Earl Garrett, had a Schilke back in the early 60's. Schilkes were kinda the new kids on the block back then. When my parents asked his advice on trumpet purchases, he recommended Olds and Getzen. His contention was that, properly maintained, there would be no valve issues. He was right! I know I'm getting off track here, but I have had intermittent sticking problems with my horns that are Monel equipped. Oh well!
5.O BUZZ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you may have that impulse to get a new horn and get one fast, but have you had the chance to try some different brand horns and see what you like? Although the Monique may be a brand you end up liking, the black laquer might end up being a bad cosmetic choice. Take your time (if you have it) and research, so when you finally fork out that dough, you'll know you made an educated decision!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: