• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mendez

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Box hill brandisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: mendez Reply with quote

This is a popular forum isn't it?
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box Hill...
Have you ever read the book "Magnificent Mendez"?
It is a very interesting read , Mendez was an
amazing musician , and from what I have read a very fine gentleman.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOX HILL:

If you can get to Los Angeles on October 14, don't miss the 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm premiere performances of "Concierto para Mendez" by the LA Opera. It is a 50 minute dramatic work commissioned by the LA Opera which tells the story of Rafael Mendez.

Malcolm McNab is the trumpet soloist. There are also several singing roles performed by leading opera stars. The music is by Lee Holdridge, one of Hollywood's top movie music composers.

Tickets are free but are going fast. Call the LA Opera ticket office to reserve tickets now.

The life of Mendez is very inspiring. He is still considered by many to be the world's greatest trumpeter. I agree!

Maybe someday YOU will have books written about you, operas composed about your life, a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, have many recordings, numerous television appearances, movie spots, etc. too. Maybe a library similar to the Rafael Mendez Library at Arizona State University? We all look forward to reading about YOU on your own TH forum someday!

Dave Hickman

textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said , Mr. Hickman . Whenever I feel frustrated with my playing or maybe just one aspect of my playing , I often think about what a dedicated and amazing (there's that word again) musician Rafael Mendez was , and how hard he worked on his craft . It is like Bud Herseth said " When you hear that guy , it will make you want to go home and practice."
Box hill brandisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe no, all respect to Mr. Mendez. I love what I've heard of his music(thank you geoff payne) and would love to hear/learn more. I suppose i asked for that though. Pity i live in Australia. L.A. might be a bit of a trip, although i'm sure the concert would be worth it. I have to admit though I have never heard that much about him as a person in my sheltered upbringing. Maybe there's not many posts in this forum because Mendez speaks for himself. Anywhere on the net i can read more?

ps-d'you think "box hill blaster" would have been better?
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box Hill:

Go to:

www.MendezLibrary.asu.edu

Although most of his recordings are out of print again, you can purchase some of them at:

www.SummitRecords.com

Summit also publishes a very nice biography of him.

DH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: