• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Schilke clones...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Schilke Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

No, he had it right - the Yamaha clones are inferior to their Schilke counterparts. It's the difference between mass produced and hand made. My Schilke is bar none the best built trumpet I have ever owned. The fit and finish are absolutely flawless and I have never seen any Yamaha that even comes close in terms of fit and finish. I believe that it was in this area (and not playability - which is different, not inferior) that he was speaking.

Oh, and chill bro. We're all friends here the last I checked.

trickg,
Not sure if you are advising me or Mark to chill. Rest assured, I am very chilled, also very amazed that what I wrote could be taken with such offense. I've apologized, I hope we're all good now. I also hope we can remember we should be friends here...
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Schilke MII in the 1970's, it was nowhere as good in playability as my Schilke B6. I never had any valve problems with the MII, but It played like a student horn compared to the B6.

As The Schilke Loyalist points out:

"The M-series trumpets had almost nothing in common with the manufacturing quality and quality control found in Schilke's "custom" horns, as they were not manufactured of the same parts or with the same processes. According to a former employee, they were often assembled in an hour, whereas Schilke used to brag that the "real horns" required 80 hours of manufacturing time".
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Schilke Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
trickg wrote:

No, he had it right - the Yamaha clones are inferior to their Schilke counterparts. It's the difference between mass produced and hand made. My Schilke is bar none the best built trumpet I have ever owned. The fit and finish are absolutely flawless and I have never seen any Yamaha that even comes close in terms of fit and finish. I believe that it was in this area (and not playability - which is different, not inferior) that he was speaking.

Oh, and chill bro. We're all friends here the last I checked.

trickg,
Not sure if you are advising me or Mark to chill. Rest assured, I am very chilled, also very amazed that what I wrote could be taken with such offense. I've apologized, I hope we're all good now. I also hope we can remember we should be friends here...

It went kinda to BOTH of you!

One of the problems with a board like this is that something that it can be really hard to discern the tone behind a typed post and some people go off really quickly. I just wanted to toss in the idea that Schilke trumpets stand right up there next to any hand built horns and in terms of fit and finish are superior to just about any production line trumpet. While some will argue that it's because of that fine fit and finish that Schilkes play as well as they do, the fact remains that sometimes you really can't put your finger on just what it is that makes a great horn great. It's entirely possible to have a Bach Strad roll off the line with some minor aesthetic flaws yet have it be a gem of a horn, and it's also entirely possible to have a horn that was painstakingly put together by hand be nothing special as a player.

The old 739T that I had back in middle school and early high school sticks out in my mind as being one heck of a horn and it certainly had some flaws such as the trigger assembly falling off. Twice. I think that part of what made that horn so good for me was a combination of things. I went from playing a really bad and beat up King cornet with a 5B mouthpiece to this large bore horn with a 7C mouthpiece. I think that the relative smallness of the 7C balanced out the open bore of the horn nicely.

All I know is that it was a dream to play by comparison to that old cornet, and that was the horn that was in my hands when I made the biggest jump in my abilities as a player.

By the way, no one has really answered my question - was the 739 (large bore) the only model offered with a trigger in 1981?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
BigMark65
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Old Yammies Reply with quote

According to my old Yamaha catalog, the 739T only came with a trigger and in silver. The lacquer counterpart ytr-639 only with a first valve saddle. Both with the copper bell.

Schilke B3 gold
Courtois Flugel
DrPhil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shilkie's rule, they totaly own, thats all i have to say...
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Schilke clones Reply with quote

I own a Yamaha 6320 which is a copy of the Schilke B5 but I think the Yamaha has a yellow brass bell. So you get a little more sound and projection out of the Yamaha. The 6000 series changed the valve cluster as compared to the early 700 series. The newer valve cluster is a great improvement over the 700 series.

I would still say that I like the Schilke's better than their Yamaha clones (which are also well made). That said , you can get a great deal on one of the 6000 series if you look around. I do like the 6320 Lacquer better than the 6310Z or the 8310Z.

6335 -standard weight
6345-L bore standard weight
6320- ML bore Schilke B5 copy
6340-L bore Schilke B3 copy
6335H-ML heavy weight
6545H-L bore heavy weight

These are all Bb's

Jim
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a thread about the Yamaha 732 I was thinking of buying and then bought. It is an assembled in US horn with the "A" after the serial number. B6 clone. I do really like it... plan to keep it until I actually can get a B6. No issues with the valves. They were barely broken in as this was a horn that was bought by an advanced high school player who stopped playing when he went to college and stored but maintained the horn. I use Hetman light oil and the valves are fine.

I think that any Yamaha model with the "T" at the end of the model number has a trigger. That's what the "T" stood for.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
petere
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware of how similar the Yamahas were to the Schilkes. But I played a B1 for a while last year and then this year purchased a Yamaha 6310Z. I could really feel how close the Yamahas were based on the Schike then!

But this raised a new question. Is the Yamaha 6335 family of trumpets clones of another trumpet? These don't seem especially Schilke-like. Are they based on a Strad? Thanks.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 6345HG at an ITG Conference back around 1990. A Yamaha rep told me at that time that this horn was modeled after the Mount Vernon Bachs. FWIW, I think mine plays very much like a friends large bore Mount Vernon.

I had a 6340ST for a while. I thought is was modeled after the X3, but someone else said the B3. I never really like the 6340ST very much. I like the X3 much better.

I liked the 6310Z quite well, but really fell for the 8310Z.
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petere wrote:
I was not aware of how similar the Yamahas were to the Schilkes. But I played a B1 for a while last year and then this year purchased a Yamaha 6310Z. I could really feel how close the Yamahas were based on the Schike then!

It's strange that you would find the Yamaha 6310Z similar to the Schilke B1. The B1 is a .460 bore. The Yamaha 6310Z stepbore (.445) was based on the Schilke B6 stepbore (.450). I owned a Yamaha 6310Z and two 8310Z's and they were not at all similar to the Schilke B1 I tried. My current horn, a Schilke B4 (.450 stepbore), plays much closer to the Z's - but without the backpressure I experienced on the Z's.
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played on my instructor's 6310Z for a while last week. It didn't play like the B6 at the Schilke factory did, at least to me. I knew it was Schilke based but the real deal was a better fit to me.
Selmer 24B Lightweight K-Mod
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a 738, and once I got Mike Bulow to make a tuning slide for it* can favorably compare it to the X3 I once had. It plays freely, the valves are pretty good (I'll have Flip Oakes to a precision alignment when he comes back off tour), and it sounds nice. Yes, it's not a Schilke, but it's a very good copy for 1/3 the price.

*Bronze single radius, no brace. Opens up the blow and darkens the sound justenough.
Karen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: YTR-639 Reply with quote

In the mid-1970s, I know that Mr. Schilke and my trumpet teacher, Eddie Shiner, designed the YTR-639 together for Yamaha. I got one of the first ones to be made and have had it ever since. I still play it, and although I have played many other trumpets over the years, it is still my favorite. I am getting it overhauled soon.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a side question, but if you are lucky enough to be sponsored by Schilke, is it an all you can eat arrangement?

But don't some shops like Monette still charge even their most prominent artists?

I also think Schilke rules, esp the valves.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Regarding this thread, and the following, I believe that the trumpet which I played last Friday may have been a Yamaha YTR-634:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98877&highlight=yamaha+634

Basically I play in my husband's Jazz band with a trumpeter who is also my brass band colleague. He usually plays a Bach 37, but has brought a second trumpet on a few occasions.

I only just got round to asking him about it on Friday, and he let me have a go on it. He says that it is a pretty old Yamaha.

The light is poor in the band room and I couldn't read the model number easily with a quick glance (and didn't want to appear to be checking it over), but I presume that it was a YTR-634. It had a reversed lead pipe, no lead pipe braces and a red/gold brass bell, and looked like photos I have seen on google of the YTR-634, hence my search and finding these threads.

I thought that it was a really good trumpet in this setting. The player had a go on my Yamaha YTR-8335 Xeno II, and we agreed that these two trumpets were nothing alike, and that his trumpet had a mellower sound. My understanding is that his trumpet is based on a Schilke B5.

Whatever, I thought that it had a nice open blow, flexible slotting and a big warm sound.

As much as I like my Xeno II, especially in orchestral settings, I have never felt that it has quite the sound I am looking for for the Jazz band. In my opinion, it has quite a bright focused clean sound, which I really like in orchestral and concert band settings, but it is not the big fat sound which I'd like for the Jazz band, and which my Bach 37 comes nearer to. Additionally although I have opened the blow (to just how I like it) and loosened the slots already via sleeves, I still feel that it is a bit slotty.

Although I only had a brief go on my colleague's trumpet, so only had an initial impression, listening to me playing it from behind the bell, and hearing my colleague play it and his Bach 37, it had the kind of sound which I am looking for. Big and warm.

It also had a nice open blow and flexible slotting. I've previously tried the reversed leadpipe model version of the Xeno I and didn't like it as much as the standard leadpipe model, but haven't played the reversed leadpipe model of the Xeno II. This trumpet didn't play like the reversed leadpipe Xeno I or a Yamaha trumpet at all, probably because if I understand properly, there was an association with Schilke at the time, and it is along the lines of a Schilke B5. I've never played a Schilke trumpet, so have no idea.

Anyway, from initial impressions, it was the kind of trumpet I'd like to play in a Jazz band setting.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

Yes, that was my post, still own the 634 and 732.

There is a lot of stuff written about the Yamaha pro trumpets of the 70s and Schilke's involvement with them, and the true story is becoming as murky as the stories around the birth of the Martin Committee.

Ren was hired by Yamaha to design their pro horns, so naturally he brought his ideas to the products - hence the reverse tuning slides, step bores etc.

But they are not "copies" or "clones". They play very similarly to the Schilkes because Ren designed them, but he took the chance to do things a little differently to how he did his own horns. So the leadpipes are slightly different, as are the bells.

Having owned two of the Yams, and briefly played a variety of Schilkes over the years, I would describe the horns as belonging to the same extended "family" of instruments, rather that being "copies" or "clones". If you've played a Schilke B series and step on to a Yamaha, or vice versa, you'll feel comfortable with the change.

The Yam horns have been slowly increasing in price in the last few years, as more people get in on the "secret". Good horns.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger is correct. For example,the 6310B, predessor of the 6310Z/8310Z was modeled after Bob McCoy's Martin Committee. Bob was a great player working in NY, Tonight Show,etc. Mr. Schilke also had a hand in the Martin Committees since he was part of the committee.

Pete
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
Ren was hired by Yamaha to design their pro horns, so naturally he brought his ideas to the products - hence the reverse tuning slides, step bores etc.

But they are not "copies" or "clones". They play very similarly to the Schilkes because Ren designed them, but he took the chance to do things a little differently to how he did his own horns. So the leadpipes are slightly different, as are the bells.

Having owned two of the Yams, and briefly played a variety of Schilkes over the years, I would describe the horns as belonging to the same extended "family" of instruments, rather that being "copies" or "clones". If you've played a Schilke B series and step on to a Yamaha, or vice versa, you'll feel comfortable with the change.

Excellent post, Roger.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:

You need a YTR-636 and YCR-641 to complete your set.

Gary.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
p76 wrote:

You need a YTR-636 and YCR-641 to complete your set.

Gary.

Got the 641, great horn.

Cheers
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: