• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I just don’t enjoy Bb anymore

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: I just don’t enjoy Bb anymore Reply with quote

Hey folks.

Hoping to find a bit of advice here, I have an interesting situation; I just don’t like playing Bb trumpet anymore.

I recently landed a regional orchestra gig and doubled down on C, Eb, and piccolo trumpet.

In between concert cycles, I pull out my Bb for a jazz show or just to warm up and work on scales and I just don’t like it.

I love the projection of a good C trumpet, along with the challenges that come along with playing that horn. I just love the presence and power.

I love the beautiful delicate silvery tone of an Eb trumpet. Like a floaty soprano singer.

I love the piercing, gripping sound of a piccolo in A.

But I go back to my Bb horn and…

Ugh.

I just don’t like it. I don’t know how to find that passion again. My issue with the passion part, is Bb is by far my worst sounding horn right now. I just can’t find that projection I used to have, it doesn’t feel smooth anymore, I’m just in a rut.

I’ll play hindemith on Bb in a practice session and it’s fine.

But then I play Hindemith on my C and it just sounds so much better. Of course it’s not made for C so when you transpose some different tuning tendencies come along you have to deal with, but who cares.

Ugh how do I make Bb fun again.
Bach 183 Flugelhorn
Bach LB 229 Eb/D Long Bell
Bach 184 Cornet
Kanstul 920
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlier

Ben
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modello.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
6pk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you:) and I'd say this a totally natural reaction. The Bb and C are frustratingly close, like speaking two versions of the same language, annoyingly similar but never quite the same.
I go through phases of love and hate with the Bb, but a few things that have really helped me over the years are:

Playing a larger more flexible Bb trumpet, Yamaha 8345, Bach 43 or 72,
Using a stock mpc on the Bb, even if you're regular C piece works great on the Bb, just having something different to lock in on, build a habit on, and learn slots on helps enormously.
On the C I use a Breslmair that's essentially a 1 1/4B 24/24, with a rim with slightly more bit.
The natural progression would be to a straight 1 1/4c on the Bb, but weirdly I;ve found a straight 3c to be much more successful. It also most importantly of all for you, helps to match the shine of the C trumpet.
Finally, don't forget on the Bb the bell is further away from your ear, so you get less feedback, which can affect things.

Hope that helps, as I said I think everything you've stated is normal.
Former Principal Trumpet:
Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra 2003-10
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6pk wrote:
I hear you:) and I'd say this a totally natural reaction. The Bb and C are frustratingly close, like speaking two versions of the same language, annoyingly similar but never quite the same.
I go through phases of love and hate with the Bb, but a few things that have really helped me over the years are:

Playing a larger more flexible Bb trumpet, Yamaha 8345, Bach 43 or 72,
Using a stock mpc on the Bb, even if you're regular C piece works great on the Bb, just having something different to lock in on, build a habit on, and learn slots on helps enormously.
On the C I use a Breslmair that's essentially a 1 1/4B 24/24, with a rim with slightly more bit.
The natural progression would be to a straight 1 1/4c on the Bb, but weirdly I;ve found a straight 3c to be much more successful. It also most importantly of all for you, helps to match the shine of the C trumpet.
Finally, don't forget on the Bb the bell is further away from your ear, so you get less feedback, which can affect things.

Hope that helps, as I said I think everything you've stated is normal.

Oh my goodness you are speaking my language.

No joke, today, I was dabbling on Bb with my C piece (Denis Wick 1.25C) and I couldn’t stand it. Just nothing was speaking correctly. But then I pulled out a stock Bach 3c out of my drawer, which is something I haven’t played in months, maybe closer to a year, and boom. Already felt better.

Maybe for Bb having a different mouthpiece will help my brain separate the two in my head like you said.

For my Picc I play a 1D, which is the same rim diameter as my 1.25, but shallow, and for my Eb I play on a Denis Wick MM2, which is the same diameter as my 1.25, but just a tad shallower than a 1.25c.

Crazy how a slightly tighter diameter piece helps bring out that Bb characteristic sound just a little bit.
Bach 183 Flugelhorn
Bach LB 229 Eb/D Long Bell
Bach 184 Cornet
Kanstul 920
6pk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Delighted to hear things are working!
It’s a cliche but sometimes the mouthpiece or trumpet chooses you I guess?
When the red light is on and the pressure kicks in we also find out what really works. The trusted 1c is an interesting case, if I use this I can play almost anything once, (I often joke this is why it’s called a 1c) but after that things get worse and switching to smaller equipment weirdly becomes impossible.
So yeah it stays in the box and life goes on lol.

All the best, sounds like you have things sorted!
Kind regards
Jon
Former Principal Trumpet:
Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra 2003-10
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with finding your preference. I love to listen to people play C trumpet and it's fun for me to play it in a nice hall if I'm alone. But I just play the smaller horns too out of tune and I'm not comfortable playing them in performance with others... I would need to put a lot more shed time on them. I love the B flat trumpet and it is my home. I don't feel comfortable on cornet either, but flugelhorn is my friend.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Bb trumpets are larger bore than than your C and have bigger bells . Can we assume you are using different mouthpieces for your Bb trumpets and your C trumpet?

There are several mouthpiece cup and backbore combinations that could give your Bb trumpets more "zing" to better match your C.

What mouthpieces are you using?
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense.
There is a certain brilliance that some of the other pitched horns have.

Passion may be the key.
What are you passionate about?

If you want edge or brilliance lots of options exist.
horn/ mpc combo diameters, etc.

Style of music...

After doing cruise ships for three years I had a different mindset once too.
A funk if you will.

Only you will have the compass for this one mate.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t worry about it, play what you like. Lots of people including myself have the opposite: they (me) don’t like the higher pitched trumpets. Honestly spoken I already get stomach problems if I see a picture of Maurice André playing such a horrible toy thing.
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, congrats on landing your gig!

I would not worry about anything: You found your voice.
Enjoy and celebrate your preferences and strengths! Let no-one tell you it should be otherwise.

The best thing is that a few years down the line there might be that one gig, one piece, one venue, one playing situation that re-ignites your love for the Bb. Don't force it

There is one thing though: I am reading that your Bb is a Flip Oakes Wild Thing. Now that is a real beauty, but I associate it with a very warm sound and a very free and open blow. Very different from your C trumpet. Have you ever tried something more focussed and brighter, a Bach 43 or even 25 bell?

I am also told (but cannot confirm) that the first generation "Chicago" Yamaha Bb has a very C-ish sound. You occasionally find them used in shops or online.

You might also try a mouthpiece with your preferred rim, even cup and then dial in the sound and response for your Bb with a tighter backbore. I am using a Breslmair V rim + G3C cup + 5 or L backbore on my C and the same thing, but with an N or 66 backbore on my Bb.

Hope you are enjoying your gig to the most. Happy playing!
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t seem to recall there being any rule that you’re required to play the Bb trumpet…so by all means, focus on the other horns if you prefer ‘em I’d say.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
claf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost the same issue.
I'm actually having fun with my Bbs (Van Laar B7 & XO 1600I), but in jazz/commercial only.
For the orchestra, I don't like their sound/playability, I prefer my Bach C.
The solution I found was to find a Bb that had a Bb sound but more in the direction of my C and I think I found it with a Schagerl Morrison.
But the mouthpiece is definitely something to look at, the Van Laar was almost working with an ACB 3CS in the orchestra.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Modello.

WT horns are polarising - massive bells, bores, blow etc... kinda the polar opposite to your 1624. The 101 is pretty big too. Have you considered one of the XO Bb horns? I played a few and was super impressed. They - imo - do have that projecting traditional sound. A good Bach is hard to beat in this respect; Elkharts can be super nice. There'a lot of more traditional horns about that you might enjoy playing more if that tonal/projection quality from the C is sought.

Anyway you enjoy your other horns and you're gigging... it's gravy!

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I was trumpeteer in a musicall pit orchestra. One day the principal player was ill so we hired a professional. We where doing a Stephen Sondheim musicall, I think we did 'Company'
He arrived with only a C-trumpet...

It was one of the best gigs we ever did.

So, if you prefer to play C-trumpet, play your C-trumpet (and sell the rest of your axes to me for little).
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Bach. You're gonna love it.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seasons. Sometimes it's winter. Other times, it's Spring. Enjoy each season.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the "lightness" of high trumpets. Nothing to be ashamed of here -- just play Bb enough to not lose the skill. Most pros I've known start the day on Bb.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt the same way, just about C trumpets.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
btomcik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a new Bb is expensive and time-consuming to find something you like, if you indeed find something else you like. And if not, then you're back at square one.

Maybe spend some time giving your Bb a good cleaning - make it shine and sparkle, some fresh valve oil and slide grease. Sort of a cathartic type of thing to wipe the slate clean and start over.

Another suggestion is to go to the manufacturer's website and look at marketing materials for the trumpet. Find some reviews online and see if there are people playing the horn on YouTube and/or giving a review on YouTube. Maybe the review says something positive about the horn that you forgot about, that reminds you of a reason why you liked the horn in the first place.

And maybe dig up some music online at IMSLP or even in your own files and play some pieces written for Bb, whether it be for trumpet/piano, trumpet/organ, whatever. There are some pieces that require the mellower sound of a Bb, maybe you could explore those.

Best of luck!

Basically just
XO 1700 Bb/A picc
"Hit it hard, and wish it well." - CG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: