• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best method to relearn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johall15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Best method to relearn Reply with quote

It has been around 20 years since I put my trumpet to my lips. I used to play daily and was even a music major in college. I have recently started wanting to play again...nothing professional, just for my enjoyement. What is the best method to relearn how to play? I have my trumpet, but have no sheet music or books any more.

Thanks for your input!
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about the first month of my comeback I didn't play anything besides Clarke Technical Studies, long tones, and Irons 27 Exercises. After that I started back into Arban. Now 16 months later and I am working through Charlier Etudes and still plowing through Arban.

I recommend not missing a day of practice, and lots of patience
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to the above. Start out by limiting your duration, as well as how and/or loud you allow yourself to play. One of our banner advertisers here is Boptism Music Publishing, who makes many great practice resources available that many TH members of every skill level have had much success with. "Focal Point" might be a likely entry point, but "Reinhardt Routines" is also great; both are cheap. Doc Reinhardt's Encyclopedia of the Pivot
System is also available there, (for $35, last I checked) which is a great investment.

Another advertiser here is HME, Hickman Music Editions, and IIRC Dave Hickman is also a moderator of at least one dedicated forum here. (As is the owner/operator of Boptism) HME has a literature list that is HUGE, but all will attest that if you buy any Clarke book, get his complete volume as edited by HME. Outstanding value! Clarke's beginning lesson plans would've been perfect for me after 2 weeks of Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach. (What I started on)

Yet another banner advertiser here is Eric Bolvin, who has made a guide to working through the Arban book. I haven't seen that myself, but many here say it's great.

Welcome to TH!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going it alone without a teacher I really enjoyed and benefitted the time I spent with the Vizzutti Books.
http://www.amazon.com/Vizzutti-Trumpet-Method-Technical-Studies/dp/0739019414
It's a series of 3 books (Technical, Harmonic and Melodic) and the exercises are sensible, accessible and fun to play. Though Vizzutti's known for his virtuosity the books are not at all unreasonable for comback players like yourself.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
johall15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Question about Arban's Reply with quote

Thank you for all the excellent feedback. I'm going to have to go digging through a storage unit because I believe I have an Arban's stored away in there. Would there be any reason to by the newer edition Arban's? I've got the 1982 edition, I see on Amazon that there was a newer edition last year. Is it worth the money or should I just stick with the one I have.

Thanks again for the feedback! I am really looking forward to re-learning and refining my skills!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban's certainly has exercises enough to keep you busy. What it doesn't have is an easy way to navigate through it. There are 3rd party Arban's guides that can help with that.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
doitallman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,

Welcome back to trumpet. I would suggest that if your starting new , you should try to start with some help. Get a few lessons at least with someone who inspires you. Skype lessons are the way to go , unless you have someone locally.

I usually start my students with scales . They are great for making sure you don't pick up any bad habits right away. Try to play all of them as relaxed as possible (really) . Do this for about 10 minutes daily. Learn all scales eventually, and when playing them pay attention to what your doing with your tongue lips etc.

Make sure you have fun with your horn everyday. Find what you really love to play and try to get better at it everyday.

No need to get a new Arban . If you like jazz, there are many play-along of standards on you tube , search for cornet play along. Good luck .
Bach 184 cornet
Bach C 229GH 25H
Nikon D300s
Wechter acoustic
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig out your old Arban's, start at the beginning but don't be afraid to flip ahead to whatever you can play, make sure to play everything ridiculously slowly at first - and contact a teacher ASAP!

We have a thread saying we should have a sticky somewhere of all repair techs / horns makers etc. We used to have the same notion with teachers / those willing to teach via Skype. I currently favor the Reinhardt camp especially for someone in your position, but I bet there are quite competent teachers following every school we have a dedicated forum for.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years is a pretty long time away, and that just means that you will have a memory of how well you used to play and try to emulate that. This is what I have seen in some comeback players I've helped along, and it's a mistake. Play at moderate volumes at first and don't try to strain for high notes.

If you have an old Arbans complete conservatory method, that's all you will really need for now. Also go to Eric Bolvin's site and download the instructions on how to work your way through the Arbans book. Your old one is going to be just as good as a new one, even if it's in rough shape.

Final tip, find your local community band and join in. It's a lot more fun to play in an ensemble. Good luck and welcome back!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a response to roynj's last suggestion. Unless you can play comfortably the bottom two octaves and your reading skills are not forgotten, I suggest you wait to join the community band until you have been working on your own (but hopefully with a teacher) for a year or two.

Playing simple duets with another player, however, is a really good idea.
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to relearn Reply with quote

johall15 wrote:
It has been around 20 years since I put my trumpet to my lips. I used to play daily and was even a music major in college. I have recently started wanting to play again...nothing professional, just for my enjoyement. What is the best method to relearn how to play? I have my trumpet, but have no sheet music or books any more.

Thanks for your input!

Basic warmups, long tones, scales, lip slurs; then do yourself a favor and get a subscription to Smart Music.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
johall15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My music reading skills are definitely not forgotten, a bit rusty, but not forgotten. I played piano starting at 5 yrs old, so reading music comes as easy to me as reading a book. As far as joining a local band, I'm trying to get my embouchure back into shape, then I'll probably be joining my local church orchestra (very small group, currently 7 members). Thank you for the Smartmusic information. I had no idea anything like that was out on the internet, but it doesn't surprise me!
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea to join the church orchestra. Usually this type of music is well within the grasp of most players, and also its not too critical of a group (usually). Great idea, and it will help to keep you energized about your comeback efforts.
Nowling

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best method to relearn Reply with quote

Brian Moon wrote:
Basic warmups, long tones, scales, lip slurs; then do yourself a favor and get a subscription to Smart Music.

Good advice from Brian (a good teacher BTW). I spent the first month of my comeback working on nothing but Schlossberg, never going beyond the first 10 pages. Long, slow and soft. Rested an equal amount for every drill I did. When I got tired, I stopped for the day. Like with any physical activity, you get stronger everyday. I made a point of putting the horn to my face everyday, even if just for 10 minutes, even on vacation. Then I got a decent teacher to help coach me on the comeback. I didn't want to waste time relearning and unlearning old bad habits.

Set very honest and realistic goals. For me, I wanted to get back to the level I was at when I was 18. After a few weeks on the comeback, I figured that would take about 6-8 months of daily work. After 8 months, my estimates were pretty accurate. Everyone will have a different trajectory. Be patient and go with it.

In addition to the Schlossberg, and what Brian mentioned, I found Stamp and Chicowitz flow exercises very beneficial, especially in a early months. Get to where you play your major and minor scales everyday in every key. and keep at it. Change articulation styles from one day to the next to keep the monotony level down. The scales, the scales!

Good luck and welcome back. You will be so glad you made the decision that you will kick yourself for ever putting the horn down to begin with.
Accent (B&S) A/Bb Piccolo
E3L Eb/D No-name knockoff/prototype

"It's just tube of brass that requires a musician to make a sound." -Me
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to relearn Reply with quote

Nowling wrote:
I spent the first month of my comeback working on nothing but Schlossberg, never going beyond the first 10 pages. Long, slow and soft. Rested an equal amount for every drill I did. When I got tired, I stopped for the day.
This
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get SmartMusic, it may be the best route to join the ITG: http://www.trumpetguild.org/

As a member you will get a significant discount on SmartMusic, in addition to all the regular member benefits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: