• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mendez with Guitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zooter1940s

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Mendez with Guitar Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone here might have any information on finding any arrangements of Mendez solos with guitar accompaniment. I have his album he did with Laurindo Almeida and the trumpet/guitar combo is simply breathtaking and really adds an element to the music that you can't get with piano.

I'm doing a Mendez Tribute recital next semester and so far all of my pieces just have piano accompaniment. It'd be amazing if I could find some guitar to go with it. If anyone has any information regarding the whereabouts of any Mendez solos with guitar accompaniment, or even just the publisher since most keep some kind of archives, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris Alvino
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rafael Mendez Library has a couple of sketches used for that album. There were no written out guitar parts, though. Almeida pretty much played them by ear or from piano parts Mendez published with Carl Fischer. The trumpet parts are pretty much as Mendez did them with piano, too.

DH
Zooter1940s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. And actually, I'll probably have an easier time finding a guitar player who can play by ear than who can read music. Hehe.

Thanks again Prof. Hickman

Chris
jbowman1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Guitar Parts Reply with quote

Luis Engelke did a trumpet and guitar concert at the 05 ITG Conference, and played a few of those works, that the guitar player had transcribed and written out, I believe. If you email me, I can put you in contact with him, easy enough.

JB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: