• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Day of Concert Routine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight was the dress rehearsal for our community band's winter concert, which will be held tomorrow night. Some of us got to talking about how much warming up and/or playing is beneficial the day of a concert.

Several of the other trumpet players said they do none -- they want to save themselves for the performance. I've always played better with some buzzing and light playing throughout the day, and a thorough review of key signatures, tempo changes, etc.

What works for you?

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I'm pretty much with you. I do a 15-20 min. warm up in the morning, playing very softly, a 10 min. one around noon, then a 5 min. before the concert and I'm good to go. That's for like a 3PM concert. For a different time concert I just alter the time or sometimes add another warm up.

The checking of the key signatures is a good idea. Could have used that in my last performance.

Regards,
Phil

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2002-12-10 06:21 ]
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do 20-30 minutes several hours before the concert then to a five minute or so before the concert. Unlike a lot of folks, I don't play once we go out on the stage before the the concert starts.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
HighQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Nice standard warm up in the morning or beginning of the afternoon, about 30 minutes. Put the horn aside for the rest of the day and relax. Pick it up about an hour for the concert and play some light exercises to get the blood flowing, for about 15 minutes, if possible in the hall you're playing. Put it in your bag again. Get it out fifteen minutes before the concert and play some pp scales and long notes, allowing the horn to get warm and yourself aswell.
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to not have a strenuous warm-up routine (all the way through Caruso exercises) before a heavy rehearsal or a concert the hard way. For now, I am sticking to a lighter warm up routine. No use playing too many high notes before a gig or concert. Save it for the performance.

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! All advice so far is similar to my own philosophy and practice. However, I'm amazed at the number of players I run into who don't want to touch their horn the day of the concert in order to save their lip, energy, etc. To me that seems pretty risky. On one occasion I tried it that way and found myself all warmed up -- for the last number!

Jim

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently an undergrad. The idea of not touching my horn the day of a concert is not an option. Sure, my chops need to be in good shape for a concert, but come semester end, with lots of concerts, I can't just warm up and play the concert! It's almost like not practicing for 2 or 3 weeks which (at least for me!) is unnacceptable. Food for thought guys. I know some of you might play at a professional/semi-prof. level - but isn't each day a day you strive to improve?
That's about all.

-C
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concert is over and it was a huge success! I played lst book on West Side Story, Toccata Marziale, Fantasy in G, Molly on the Shore, El Camino Real, Sabre and Spurs, and a bunch more and had good tone, range, endurance -- the whole shot!

I used some of the suggestions in the posts in this thread and they worked great! I also remembered to drink a lot of water throughout the day which helped a lot.

Thanks everyone!

Jim

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me a good warm up is essential for all types of playing. If possible I do not do a lot of stenuous work prior to the concert, but a good warmup and a little playing doesn't seem to hurt. What is tough is this time of year when in addition to concerts there are other performance and practice requirements on the same day. E.g. next saturday calls for 2 hour orchestra rehearsal 10 a.m. - 12. noon, followed by practice in the afternoon and a big band gig in the evening. Sunday calls for 2 services of playing with the orchestra, followed by a 90 minute quintet practice, followed by wind ensemble rehearsal in late afternoon. This can be rather tough for us amateurs that usually can't squeeze in much more than an hour per day.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTK,

Good grief! The only way I could get through a day like that would be by having myself cloned. I'd send Jim #1 to the morning rehearsal, #2 to the afternoon thing, and #3 would get the big band gig. Now, which horn and which mouthpiece...

Jim

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2002-12-11 08:20 ]
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically do all the wrong things on concert (or job) day! I always tell myself "IF I pick up the horns, I'm going to play lightly and gently". Invariably, I decide I haven't practiced the darn Brandenburg enough that week so I have at it. You'd think after playing 20+ years professionally, I'd know not to do stupid things like that!!

On the days I'm actually thinking about what I'm doing, I try to not change from the daily warm-up and practice routine (minus The Brandenburg). Getting a little more rest during the day is vital.

[ This Message was edited by: trombapaul2 on 2002-12-20 08:09 ]
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm late on this thread, it'll be in the archives!
On gig days, I do the same routine that I've been working but with more rest. Most of my routines are progressive and meant to be challanging a la Claude.
I also never change routines on a gig day, because the change creates an unbalance.
I also don't increase the routine on a gig day or add to it. Gig day is pretty much business as usual but with more rest. I just did a gig on Sat night and I stayed in bed until noon just so I wouldn't practice hard like I do everyday.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trumpet fro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JhatPro-
Did you like playing El Camino Real? Did you play first trumpet or cornet? I am playing first trumpet on that song. It's so cool!
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm. I just show up and do a quick little 10 minute warm up and I'm set.

When it's for something real demanding i do long tones that night before the concert for about 20 minutes. Then i show up to the concert and do usual warm up. wich is:

Long tones
Lip slurs
Scales
This takes me like 5 to 10 minutes. I don't like over warming up or not warming up enough. For me that's enough. and it works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetfro,

I was playing the lst tpt part, too! Man, that tune really makes you want to get in the ring and take on el toro, or at least go out and get a couple of big beef tacos!

Happy Holidays,

Jim

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to warm up a minimum of 1 hour each day before I expect to do any serious playing. Maybe it's because I am a music major and having to play 5-7 hours a day. If I don't warm up for an hour, then take a half hour or more break, things just don't happen they way they can. I normally warm up/practice for 1.5 hours, then have an hour or so break, then play up to 3 ensemble rehearsals or concerts, then practice for 1-3 more hours at night. Like someone mentioned earlier, it feels like I skipped 3-4 days of practice if I get under an hour of warm up. Pretty strange, huh?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to take it pretty lightly, depending upon just how much endurance I'm going to need to get through the gig. I do think that it's essential to play before a performance, but I try to stop just as I'm beginning to feel warmed up.
Quote:
mumbles said: "I know some of you might play at a professional/semi-prof. level - but isn't each day a day you strive to improve?"

At this point in my life, (I'm 32 with a non-musical day job, an hour commute each way and 2 kids) as much as I would like to strive to improve, maintaining what I've got and possibly regaining what I had at one point in my playing career is about as much as I can handle. I used to be at a point playing where even if I had a bad day I still thought that I played ok and the peaks and valleys in my playing weren't too drastic. These days, my good days are still pretty good but my bad days...well, let's not talk about those!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had concert days where I was forced to rehearse on the same day as the concert, which is a real drag, but if I'm not rehearsing beforehand, I like to play for 30 minutes of whatever is required, maybe some long tones, or playing along with some records. Scotty Barnhart told me he never plays more than 30 minutes on the day of a performance, and I think that method has a lot of merit. It takes me a lot of playing before I get tired but I don't think I'd want to play any more than an hour before the concert. One time in a jazz combo I played in I played the same 1 1/2-two hour gig twice in a day and it was tiring, I played pretty well but it wasn't worth wasting all that energy the first time through. There's just no reason to. If I have an orchestra performance I don't have to worry quite so much about how I practice before the concert, but you still have to be smart about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: