• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer Paris Louis Armstrong

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trodriguez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Selmer Paris Louis Armstrong Reply with quote

Selmer Paris Louis Armstrong Special...Anyone know much about these earlier horns and have an idea what they may be worth. ??? Thanks Tom,[/img]
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure but the tale is that King George V gave Louis Armstrong a Gold Plated Selmer Trumpet.

Louis was a real switcher. He used a lot of mouthpieces and used a lot of horns. He used Selmer, possibly Holton, EMO by Modl and etc.
A.Windisch Silber-Deluxe, Dresden
Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' piccolo
Conn 'Connstellation' 28A
SO many more trumpets.....
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis played a Selmer balanced trumpet beginning in 1933 and continued to play that model as his primary instrument for the rest of his career. The "Louis Armstrong Special" was a name Selmer gave to their balanced model 19A in 1933. The horns were engraved "Louis Armstrong Special." Sometime later Selmer marketed it simply as their model 19A and it did not have the "Louis Armstrong Special" designation or engraving.

The model 19A engraved "Louis Armstrong Special" and the model 25A (.472 bore made specially for Harry James) are the most valuable models. The next most valuable would be the model 19A without the "Louis Armstrong Special" engraving.

In pristine condition, including the original case, any Selmer balanced trumpet is worth $2,000+. Value diminishes as condition diminishes.
FHernandez

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does serial number play a roll on the value of this model trumpet?
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrassBandMajor wrote:
I am not sure but the tale is that King George V gave Louis Armstrong a Gold Plated Selmer Trumpet.

Louis was a real switcher. He used a lot of mouthpieces and used a lot of horns. He used Selmer, possibly Holton, EMO by Modl and etc.

This very instrument is frequently up for display at the Louis Armstrong House Museum in Corona, Queens (NYC). http://www.louisarmstronghouse.org

I know that Pops' first cornet was a Harry B. Jay Columbia model, but, after the aforementioned Chicago Holton and others, the Selmer 'Balanced' was his main instrument for the final four decades of his career.

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Louis Armstrong Special ca 1933. Louis' earliest Selmer was actually the Selmer Challenger which he acquired in 1932, the "Louis Armstrong Special" name came along afterwards when he endorsed Selmer horns. There were no numbers (ie 19a) used until later. My horn has no numbers stamped on the receiver, only the bore size ("MB").

Value of course varies according to condition and finish level. I have several friends who own Armstrong specials and the finish varies from raw brass to silver to gold plating. Some of the horns were also made in high pitch (stamped "HP" on the reciever) and that can affect the value. One recently in raw brass sold for around $1000 on Ebay.

Probably the rarest of the early Balanced Selmers is the Nat Gonella Special, which is an ML bore version of the Armstrong horn with different finger hooks and valve caps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: