• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mendez movie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poochie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Mendez movie? Reply with quote

We were rehearsing yesterday with Zubin Mehta and he told us they are doing a movie about Raphael Mendez. Anybody know anything about this.?
The 1 st person that came to mind to us for the soundtrack was Joe Burgstaller.When we did our holiday brass concert with the Canadian Brass they played a version of Carmen that included Joe playing La Virgen de Macarena ,he nailed it.
PhatMon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Joe......I checked out his website and listend to the short audio file of LVDLM and he sounds like he can do the Raphael Mendez with ease.....but as far as looking of Hispanic decent that might be a little tricky.....

trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give more details? What studio is making the movie? Is it a film? Actors?

Bob and Ralph Mendez told me that there was some interest by a top movie producer in Los Angeles in doing such a movie, but this was immediately after the performances of the CONCIERTO PARA MENDEZ by the LA Opera last October. The producer attended the concerts and was captivated by the story of Mendez.

If a movie is already underway, I don't think that the Mendez family knows about it.

DH
PhatMon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Trpt.hick.....I would want to be "in the Know" myself and especially you for obvious reasons. If this project goes thru hopefully it will be to the satisfaction of his family and will do Mr. Mendez justice and respect.

poochie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fishing for details myself,it's just that Zubin mentioned it and I thought some of you may have heard about it.
Sorry I can't offer any info.
poochie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fishing for details myself,it's just that Zubin mentioned it and I thought some of you may have heard about it.
Sorry I can't offer any info.
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Burgstaller is the only person that comes to mind for me to play Rafael. (at least on the soundtrack). Perhaps Antonio Banderez plays him on screen.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

How do you know this? I think I should see if the Mendez sons know about the making of this movie. If no one contacted them for information, or to let them know as a courtesy, that is a real shame.

More details would be appreciated!

Dave
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just spoke with Robert Mendez. What he told me at the LA Opera performance is true. There is a movie about Mendez in the works.

Bob did not know much about it. He had received a letter from someone in Vancouver, BC just before the opera performances which indicated that there was a proposal to a major studio in the works. So, when this was mentioned to me back in October, it was all still in the planning stages.

It sounds like the production is a go, although the Mendez brothers have not heard anything more. They are looking into it and plan to call the fellow from Vancouver.

That's it for now.

DH
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exciting news! I would also love to hear more details as they come forward.
poochie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everybody, Mr. Hickman, is'nt there a Vancouver link(my hometown) to the Mendez book.?
If I remember ,the fellow who co-authored a method book with Mendez lives in Coquitlam,a suburb of Vancouver.
Seems ironic that someone from Vancouver started this thread and somehow it ends up back there.
Lions Gate Films is based in Vancouver so perhaps they are involved.
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
Joe Burgstaller is the only person that comes to mind for me to play Rafael. (at least on the soundtrack). Perhaps Antonio Banderez plays him on screen.

Joe would nail the soundtrack and I bet he'd love to do it.

But maybe Andy Garcia for the acting instead of Banderas? (my wife would be much happier with that choice, as would I. Banderas just doesn't thrill me as an actor... )

Perhaps the movie studio would have use of a certain doctoral dissertation to adapt for the screenplay?
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlyren wrote:
jpetrocelli wrote:

But maybe Andy Garcia for the acting instead of Banderas? (my wife would be much happier with that choice, as would I. Banderas just doesn't thrill me as an actor... )

Perhaps the movie studio would have use of a certain doctoral dissertation to adapt for the screenplay?

I smell a plug.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man from Vancouver that wrote most of the ORELUDE TO BRASS PLAYING is Ed Gibney. He passed away about a year ago.
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
dlyren wrote:
jpetrocelli wrote:

I smell a plug.

Ha - it's defintiely a plug! A poor college teacher like me would be thrilled to sell rights to a screenplay in return for enough cash to pay off my house or put my two girls through college.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumor of a movie about Rafael Mendez is unfounded. It seems that there was much misinformation and bits and pieces of unrelated things that led to this disappointing fact.

The "movie" rumor stemmed from the opera about Mendez performed last October by the Los Angles Opera. The two concerts were filmed live by Univision (Spanish language TV network). It turns out that Univision has decided to release a one-hour program which will include the full opera plus numerous photos, sound clips, and old videos of Mendez. They are also working to get permission to include some portions of Mendez' appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show and The Art Linkletter Show.

A producer and photographer have been assigned to the TV project. They have both contacted me as a consultant and we are using many of the materials in the Rafael Mendez Library. I am not sure when the program will be aired, or if a DVD will be available. But, things are moving along nicely. I will certainly keep everyone informed!

DH
jbowman1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad, I was getting excited about a movie. Was hoping to see Marchiando as the lead.....
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a DVD is produced - a request that it is multi-region, please.

Either that, or a world tour of the opera
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To bad, I was getting excited about a movie. Was hoping to see Marchiando as the lead.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

(Wipes a tear from his eye)

Now that's funny in so many ways! But mostly cause I ain't nearly good-lookin enough.

Well, that, and I'd need to drop about 120 lbs!

Thanks for the sentiment though, Sparky!
Shires Artist
Tromba Mundi
Summit Brass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: