• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tonguing Stutter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubletop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A student of mine has a problem with articulation. He has what I can only describe as a stutter before each note. The articulation does not begin at all sometimes as the tongue seems to get stuck the instant it touches the top teeth and he cannot move it away to start the sound.

I have tried everything I can think of to help him. He is fine with a metronome, the articulation looks and sounds fine. I have concentrated on breathing in tempo, correcting the air support. These all seem to help at first, but not long term.

He assures me that he is preactising the techniques I am suggesting but nothing seems to work. Obviously there are no fool proof methods but does anyone have any other ideas? It is a shame because otherwise he is a promising player!!

Thanks.

DT
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT,

This is a post that I made in another thread.
I'm just saving you the trouble of trying to find it by pasting it over here. Your thread title more aptly defines this particular issue than the original thread that this was posted in. Let me know how it works for your student.

The bane of the trumpet player. The initial attack! Doesn't it sound great, when you hear a trumpet player with a pin point, clear attack. And isn't it awful when you cuff that first attack, especially if the band has stopped so that your entrance is unaccompanied. I have seen trumpet players so terrified of that first attack they will actually freeze and be unable to release even one molecule of air. You might even say that being in a state of paralyzing fear can take some of the fun out of playing. However, fortunately there is a cure!!

Your situation is very common among trumpet players (insecure first attack, but then the attacks are fine after you get going). The cause of this problem is in your own very words, although you may not believe me. You say that once you get going everything is OK. In other words, once you have established a timing that your body can respond to, everything is fine and your body does just that, it attacks notes cleanly, you play well, etc.

So to prove my point (that the issue is timing and not something more exotic) count yourself off before making an attack: [mm = 60] 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 ee and ah / Play!!! Play the note exactly on the downbeat after you count off, subdivide the 4th beat and don't blow until after the 16th of the 4th beat. Have the mouthpiece on your lips and be set and ready to play as you count in. You must release the air right on the downbeat. Do this a few times and tell me if it doesn't work. The solution to your initial attack problem is one of timing and can be cured by doing exercises like the above. Ultimately, you want to be able to get your initial attack timing set up with a simple "and" (as in the "and" of 4). Why do you think band leaders count off, " 1 and ah 2 and ah 1, 2, 3, 4." It's to get everyone to come in on time together! It's much easier to fool people if you can just start and end together. In a symphony the conductor ALWAYS establishes the time, usually just with an upbeat "and / 1." But in the community orchestras and middle school bands, the conductor may choose to move the baton through a full measure OR TWO before the down beat is given.

If your chops know exactly when to come in, they won't let you down.

Regards,

Charles Raymond
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would say also, to have him be really aggressive in his attacks for a while. Again, this is a mental thing, not a problem with his actual ability. Practice counting him off, and then having him just smack the first note, way too loud at first, just to get him to attack without hesitation. Even if he is quite young, something Mr. Adam once told me apply's here. You need to get him to stop "preparing" to hit the note, and just pick up the horn and do it. I would often try to an exercise, and Mr. Adam would stop me and say, "no, you were preparing for that note." Another good way to help this is too practice the prepatory breath with him, and then sing that note with him as he attacks, very aggressively.
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Matt Graves on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddietrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "stutter" attack is indeed the bane of many trumpeters. The opening trumpet of "Rienzi" has frightened many a brave soul. As this is an entrance that begins VERY softly, it is a perfect opprtunity to employ the "breath attack." By not tonguing at all, the "problem of the stutter attack" is completely eliminated. As such, mastery of this technique is a valuable addition to any trumpeter's repertoire of skills.

Of course, the real goal is the removal of the tension that leads to the "stutter" attack in the first place. Herseth, when asked what he would think about embouchure or tonguing when he played replied that if he started to think, he couldn't play. So, he said, "I don't think!"

Rote exercises to time breathing with subsequent initial attack is a very useful strategy. If the player repeats these exercises hundreds of times (over the course of time), he/she may succeed in learning an automatic reflex technique which can be counted on to be consistent and reliable. In a way, it's learning how "Not to Think" (too much)

Ed Altshuler
eddietrumpet@juno.com

[ This Message was edited by: eddietrumpet on 2002-01-30 10:20 ]
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any suggestions for particular exercises? I would be interested in hearing any thoughts or ideas.
eddietrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-31 11:46, Blue Devil wrote:
Do you have any suggestions for particular exercises? I would be interested in hearing any thoughts or ideas.

Breathing and instantly tonguing 1 note like 2nd line G. Do at home when no one's around, and just do it, no matter what it sounds like. Try Not To Think! And do not wait between breath and attack. Waiting is really the kiss of death!

Ed Altshuler
eddietrumpet@juno.com

[ This Message was edited by: eddietrumpet on 2002-02-02 15:24 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: