• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any information on Cliff(ord) Sproul of Wichita?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Any information on Cliff(ord) Sproul of Wichita? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to flesh out just a bit my knowledge of Cliff (or Clifford) Sproul, who taught trumpet in Wichita, Kansas, in the 60's and 70's.

Cliff was a former Big Band trumpeter (Harry James?) and teacher to such folks as former Chase trumpeter Rick Gardner and (I think) Jay Sollenberger.

Does anyone have any info on Cliff's professional career and bio? Such as, birthdate? Who'd he play with and how long?

Just trying to fill in some blanks, thanks --

Hawker
TMark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff was born in 1919 and passed in 1994. He is buried at Mission Chapel Mausoleum in Wichita Kansas. He played for the Norman Lee Orchestra in Wichita until Norman was murdered by a former band member.
Beside Rick Gardner of Chase, Cliff also taught Alan Ware who played with Bill Chase also, during the time of "get it on". Alan resides in Las Vegas and was recently featured on "The Other side of the Bell".
I was a student of Cliff (Clifton actually) from about 1962 to 1966. I'm a new member of Trumpetherald and found your query by a simple google search, so I'm sorry for the lengthy delay. If you still get this, reply back and I can give you Alan Ware's contact information. I do not know much about Cliff's earlier career, but I suppose that Alan does.
ACB doubler Picc
ACB doubler Flugelhorn
Jupiter XO C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: