• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maynard Ferguson - Titans Symphony

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_TrumpeT_
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Maynard Ferguson - Titans Symphony Reply with quote

I listened to a short clip on some website and he just obliterates the New York Philharmonic (appropriately). Does anyone know how they got to choose Maynard Ferguson as the guest artist? If there was an audition, I wouldn't have wanted to be the judge, having to listen to the renditions so many times
nespyland
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Titan Symphony Reply with quote

The Titan Symphony was composed by Bill Russo, and premiered in New York with Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic Orchestra in 1958, featuring Maynard Ferguson, the third movement was composed entirely of a high note trumpet feature. The performance was so remarkable that when the press asked the principle 1st trumpet player, William Vacchiano, his opinion of Maynard Ferguson: he said “if he ever lost his lip he can always play 1st trumpet for the New York Philharmonic.” The remarkable piece was performed only one other time, with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, with Bud Brisbois as the soloist, whose performance was excellent. The recording with Maynard Ferguson has fire and excitement and remains the pinnacle performance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MU37strd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never heard of this before, but it sounds like it would be really cool to listen to. does anybody know where i can find a recording of it?
nespyland
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: CD of Titan Symphony Reply with quote

It's on a CD available from the New York Philharmonic (www.nyphil.org). My disc is a "highlight" of the ten disc series. This disc has the fourth movement (the one with Maynard) from the Titan Symphony, as well with a teacher's companion with lessons on each piece on the CD.

http://nyphil.org/buy/eStore/index.cfm?page=itemDetail&itemnum=31&itemCategorynum=cds&itemdetail=yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MFHighLife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Really? Reply with quote

Although I enjoyed Maynard’s version, I've always thought he had trouble hitting the right notes accurately. Not that it would be easy, or even natural as the intervals are rather unusual and very high. I heard that he played it better on another of the 4 or so performances he did that week (his words I believe).

The Brisbois performance on the other hand is so bad it is unlistenable, in my humble opinion.
nespyland
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: no argument here... Reply with quote

I agree. The version on the disc isn't, by any means, perfectly clean. Still, it's slightly better than I could do it (ha!), so no complaints from me!

I've never heard the Brisbois version, so I can't comment on that one.

ct
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those intervals in any octave are challenging, but where Maynard did it, and with the HUGE and FAT sound, TAHHHHH on Double D's as if they were in the staff, up and down and over and over again and again, that is the single greatest feat of brass playing and superhuman abilities any of us will ever hear, ever... If you do not have it, go find it, it is the single greatest impossible feat of live playing I have ever heard.

Maynard was selected because he was such a phenom taking the world by storm. Russo had written lots of thing for the Kenton band too and this piece was made for Maynard.

Other than Brisbois, I don't know that anyone else has ever attempted it.
www.richwetzel.com
www.facebook.com/rich.wetzel
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread prompted me to buy the CD, and I just received it.

I love the story Maynard wrote in the accompanying text:

It seems the NY Phil ‘appointed’ William Vacchiano to be MF’s ‘host’, and -- knowing the piece and that it would require a good warm-up --, WV took MF down into a basement room in the concert hall where he warmed up and they got acquainted. When rehearsal time came, and MF played the first few notes of the piece, Bernstein stopped him and said “Perhaps you didn’t notice that is supposed to be mezzo-forte?” Before MF could respond, WV quipped “Maestro, that IS Mr Ferguson’s mezzo-forte.”

I love that story!! Made be laugh out loud
_TrumpeT_
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is hilarious!
StevenE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Really? Reply with quote

MFHighLife wrote:
Although I enjoyed Maynard�s version, I've always thought he had trouble hitting the right notes accurately. Not that it would be easy, or even natural as the intervals are rather unusual and very high. I heard that he played it better on another of the 4 or so performances he did that week (his words I believe).

The Brisbois performance on the other hand is so bad it is unlistenable, in my humble opinion.

Actually the Brisbois performance is better than Maynard's from many standpoints. I have detailed why in a post on another thread.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another performance I can think of is Andrea Tofanelli - although this is a windband arrangement, the trumpet playing is just as wild.

Link

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
StevenE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Another performance I can think of is Andrea Tofanelli - although this is a windband arrangement, the trumpet playing is just as wild.

Link

Yes, I've seen this. His rendition is his own - different than either Ferguson or Brisbois.

I don't agree with every detail of his conception, but he at least has a conception, and kudos to him for having the gumption to put it out there.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha is the point of all that? High notes do not good music make.
(Runs out of room and hides.)

BTW, the orchestration (orchestra version) is excellent.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenE wrote:
bach_again wrote:

Link

Yes, I've seen this. His rendition is his own - different than either Ferguson or Brisbois.

I don't agree with every detail of his conception, but he at least has a conception, and kudos to him for having the gumption to put it out there.

Well I don't like the piece so I wouldn't be one to discuss the "nuanced" difference in arrangements, and performances. Just a matter of taste.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: