• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Whats is the purpose of a Sheperds Crook?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klipschfan4life
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Whats is the purpose of a Sheperds Crook? Reply with quote

I have a cornet with a sheperds crook on it and i've been wondering....what is it suposed to do? Why do some of them have it and some don't? Why are some of the big manufacturers bringing back the sheperds crook into production? Just curious what deal is with the sheperds crook. Please share some light on the subject.
rixtar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe it's there to shorten the horn.
LA Benge #12xxx 3x ML SP

E=Fb theoretically
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wishing to be rude or unkind, I don't think there is a 'question' to answer. Cornets are just the way they are,...a design which owes much to it's forerunner, the cornopean. Here in England the term 'shepherds crook' was completely unknown until the advent of the internet and the American sites like this one. Before this there were only 'cornets' here anything else was a trumpet or very rarely an 'American cornet' to denote a non cornet design. This instrument was also known as a 'mezzo-trumpet', at least in Besson sales literature. Also sometimes as 'trumpet-cornet' Such instruments are never used in a British brass or military bands because these ensembles, for a variety of reasons, don't use trumpets.

My understanding is that in America, the 'real'cornet became dissused for many years and when interest turned back towards it a quite different semi-trumpet was invented because American players felt happier with something more like a trumpet in shape and sound. The recent resurgence of interest in real cornet has prompted the American phrase 'Shepherds crook' to apply to the real cornet.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:

. . . My understanding is that in America, the 'real'cornet became dissused for many years and when interest turned back towards it a quite different semi-trumpet was invented because American players felt happier with something more like a trumpet in shape and sound. The recent resurgence of interest in real cornet has prompted the American phrase 'Shepherds crook' to apply to the real cornet.

Bob, you've nailed it on the head . . . and all the way from the other side of the "pond." I only copied the last half of your comments for brevity.

We Yanks originally used the shepherd's crook cornets too for brass band and community band concerts back in the true "glory days" peak of the brass band craze around the world in the late 1880s through the early 20th century.

Like you guys, we despised the shrill, vulgar-sounding "pea-shooter" trumpets of that era and no self-respecting hot-shot of a soloist-level American brass player would be caught dead playing the trumpet! Just a few were found in American wind ensembles, and were typically played by the weaker-gifted guys.

The beautiful, soaring parts though, were played on the sweet sounding (shepherd's crook) cornets. Many a young girls heart was stolen by a handsome hotshot soloist fronting a band at a county fair or cornet competition.

You were right too . . . there was NO NEED to call 'em shepherd's crook cornets either . . . for all cornets had the crook held over from the cornopeans.

THEN CAME THE AMERICAN WHORE HOUSE/HONKY-TONK MUSIC CRAZE . . .
When that bawdy Dixieland Jazz took off, in the whorehouses of New Orleans in the 1920's , it was soon discovered that the gentle, sweet and very dignified "shepherd's crook" cornets simply lacked the punch and power to rise above the shouts and conversations drunken masses who were there to have a good time. There were no electronic PA systems back then either to amplify the instruments . . . and even the sternest and most wilting British stare could have made the rowdy audiences be quiet and listen.

Then Louis Armstrong and others playing cornets in the brothels switched to the "vulgar" trumpets, in order to be heard better, and suddenly lots of Americans who dug jazz started taking up the trumpet.

I guess it was a natural trend, but Conn and other American makers started putting "trumpet bells" on "cornets." Doing so, a kid starting out could STILL be able to play the better "cornet" parts in school bands, unlike if he'd bought a trumpet . . . and yet could get more power and projection than the other cornetists, almost like if playing a trumpet! My 1939 Conn Victor immediately comes to mind . . . its an American long bell cornet that, I'll swear, sounds just like a trumpet.

Heck, a long bell "cornet" could get "bawdy" in a honky tonk on a Saturday night . . . and play all sobered up and dignified at church on Sunday too!

Eventually, some American "cornets," especially a few models by the biggest company (Conn), differed from the identical-looking trumpet model ONLY by what receiver was placed on the leadpipe. One of 'em (the "A" model) took a "cornet" mouthpiece and the other ("B" model) took a trumpet mouthpiece. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Alas, by the '60s we Yanks were all playing our "cornets" using cornet mouthpieces with Bach trumpet tops too! They had bright-sounding, trumpet-type "C" cups . . . and the "American long bell Cornet" became virtually indistinguishable in blind tests from the F. Besson type trumpets most all of us play today.

Since a long bell cornet lacks a little power vs. it's trumpet counterpart, and with the rise of Maynard, Bill Chase, Al Hirt, Bud B., Herb Alpert and many more into popular music in the '60s, the old mixed breed long bell cornet quickly fell from grace in America school band programs and died.

HEY . . . MAYBE WE YANKS HAVE SOME CLASS AFTER ALL!

Well, today we have powerful amplified sound systems and microphones, and no longer do brass players have to blow their chops through their mouthpiece to be heard. So . . . maybe if ol' Louis had a sound system in the brothel back in the '20s he'd have remained on the sweet, sweet "shepherd's crook" cornet.

I don't know if we'll ever see the vast numbers of beginning school players start switching back to short cornets though. Kids want their girl friends and mommas to hear 'em over the roar at the ol' half time of our "football games." THAT . . . will not go away . . . and our "rude" crowds at halftime during the games is just as rude and noisy as the bands play as the patrons Louis had to deal with in the whorehouses and honky tonks!

In any event, more of us adult players are discovering the sweet, sweet sound of the shepherd's crook cornet! When I signed on as a US Army bandsman in 1971, they forbid me from playing cornet and I was issued a trumpet. I didn't touch another cornet until falling in love with a gorgeously restored 1911 Boston 3-Star in 1999. I just HAD to have it. IT WAS ALSO THE FIRST "SHORT" CORNET I'D EVER PLAYED!

Wow, what a sound. Later I was able to travel 300 miles round trip per week to play a season with the Georgia Brass Band. MAN, THE CRESCENDOED SOUND OF ALL THOSE SWEET CONICAL INSTRUMENTS TO ff WILL RAISE THE HAIR ON YOUR ARM!

Today I play my short cornets as much as I do my trumpet! My favorite one is a modern Flip Oakes short model that has more power than the 100 year old ones, but the same sweet sound. I use it on commercial jobs and combo jobs a lot too . . . through a sound system.

Like the old "Prodigal Son," the American high brass players are sowing their seeds on the trumpet . . . but then "coming home" to the "real" cornet!

Thanks for writing!

T.
Al Guraliuk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: shepard's crook Reply with quote

In addition to my cornet my trumpet has a shepard's crook. Check the Joe's equipment at www.marcinkiewicz.com

The trumpet sounds beautiful and is more free flowing due the less resistance of the gentle curve of the shepard's crook ( and reverse tuning slide) .The notes slot well & pop out. It still screams when I need to. I LUV the Shepard's crook.
Bb Yamaha Flugelhorn:
Schilke P5-4 Piccolo Trumpet
Besson Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha Eb/D Trumpet
Bach Strad C Trumpet
Benge Bb Pocket Trumpet
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer cornet designs with a bell crook rather than without, and there are some great cornets being produced these days that are amazing bits of bent metal. Tom has already mentioned the Wild Thing cornet. I would also mention the Xeno Yamaha, Smith Watkins, Lawler, and Besson Prestige (are these back in production now?) are really amazing horns. Frankly, I cannot think of a straight bell cornet being made these days that I would want to have.
Dave Mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 cornets, one "shepard's crook" and two long bell. I have an Olds Am. and a 40's King Master, both which play very good and a new Weril Reg. short cornet that plays very well. The two long bell cornets have an "edge" to them where as the short cornet has a beautiful sweet mellow sound. Give me the short cornet any time. Dave
Weril Cornet Lo 7535
King Master Cornet 295628
klipschfan4life
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Mickley wrote:
I have 3 cornets, one "shepard's crook" and two long bell. I have an Olds Am. and a 40's King Master, both which play very good and a new Weril Reg. short cornet that plays very well. The two long bell cornets have an "edge" to them where as the short cornet has a beautiful sweet mellow sound. Give me the short cornet any time. Dave

Can you post a picture of your King Master cornet because I have a cornet from the 40's and I think it is a king, but I'm not sure. It is a Sherwood Master. I'm just curious what yours looks like compared to mine.
bspickler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Today I play my short cornets as much as I do my trumpet! My favorite one is a modern Flip Oakes short model that has more power than the 100 year old ones, but the same sweet sound. I use it on commercial jobs and combo jobs a lot too . . . through a sound system.""

Here's another vote for Flip. We heard him playing last Fall and the sound just filled the room.

I've had an Olds Super cornet for 53 years and it is nice. I think the hype over Ambassadors make people forget about the "better" horns that Olds made like the Super etc. but it is not a conical, shepard's crook design so not strictly a cornet.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a shepherd's crook does much to affect the sound of a cornet. It makes it a little shorter, and most short cornets have a longer leadpipe/bell ratio than do long cornets and trumpets. I think that's more important to sound production. Compare the tubing length from mouthpiece to 3rd valve on a true short cornet and a trumpet. The short cornet will be longer here, with a shorter bell.

Anyway, the use of a shepherd's crook bell today is mainly for looks, and is copied from the look of early cornets. Now, in early cornets, the shepherd's crook had a purpose - it was generally used to route the bell into a compact, easy to manage position. Look at the pic of my H. Lehnert cornet and you can see the usefulness of the crook.

Last edited by Dale Proctor on Thu May 17, 2007 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
tyleman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
THEN CAME THE AMERICAN WHORE HOUSE/HONKY-TONK MUSIC CRAZE . . .
When that bawdy Dixieland Jazz took off, in the whorehouses of New Orleans in the 1920's , it was soon discovered that the gentle, sweet and very dignified "shepherd's crook" cornets simply lacked the punch and power to rise above the shouts and conversations drunken masses who were there to have a good time.

Then Louis Armstrong and others playing cornets in the brothels switched to the "vulgar" trumpets, in order to be heard better, and suddenly lots of Americans who dug jazz started taking up the trumpet.

Sorry, Tom, but as a jazz historian, player and former New Orleans resident, your history is off. Jazz bands never played in whore houses, this is a very common misperception. The houses in Storyville had string trios or piano players. Jazz bands played in dance halls and cabarets (and also for things like lawn parties uptown and dances at Tulane University.)

Jazz began in New Orleans circa 1900. Armstrong left New Orleans in 1922 for Chicago to play with Joseph "King" Oliver's band. He switched to the trumpet in the mid-1920s when he was working in Erskine Tate's big band at the Vendome Theater. At that time bands were becoming bigger to play in larger venues like ballrooms rather than cabarets and small dance halls. By 1925 King Oliver had a 10 piece band playing stock arrangements.

You are spot on that American instrument companies created the "long model" cornet to be on a level with the trumpet. As I recall, however, the earliest Conn New Wonder/Victor models are from circa 1919.

Cheers,
Chris Tyle
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I don't think a shepherd's crook does much to attect the sound of a cornet . . .

Hi Dale,

Hope you are well!

Here's a great revelation, and the comparison is as apples-to-apples as one can get!

Flip uses the same bell mandrel to produce the bells on his short cornet, long "American" cornet, AND his Bb Wild Thing trumpet.

I've played all three side by side and each sounds as it should . . . but all three horns sound quite different, both to the player and to listeners!

Sincerely,

Tom T.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyleman wrote:

. . . You are spot on that American instrument companies created the "long model" cornet to be on a level with the trumpet. As I recall, however, the earliest Conn New Wonder/Victor models are from circa 1919.

Cheers,
Chris Tyle

Cheers to you too Chris!

I believe the original incarnation of the New Wonder began around 1914-1915. Anywho . . . it's close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades!

Have a great weekend!

T.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Tom (Turner) --

Without copying your lengthy dissertation, I admire your portrayal of the genesis of the Cornet in America.

My only other comment, is that I might refer to what you call "Honky-Tonks" ... as "Juke-Joints".

I'll admit to frequenting "Honky-Tonks" when I lived in Charlottesville and Staunton, Virginia ... but, only once visited a "Juke-Joint".

I won't reveal any details ... .

Yr Fthfl Srvnt,
Robt
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I too am guilty of frequenting a few myself . . . and of being guilty back in the '70s of being a certified "bar musician!"

Juke . . . 'til you Puke! That was the motto of a lot of folks back then, if I remember.

I'd gotten out of the army (as a bandsman) and returned to music school at FSU. Chomping at the bit to play a bunch, and wanting to make some extra money, I answered an audition ad to replace a trumpeter in a hard-working bar band . . . and soon was pounding it out six nights a week at a rough, "south-side" honky-tonk for months on end!" The pay was outstanding for the times too!

It was a wild time indeed . . . at least that's what they TOLD me when I sobered up!

Geez . . . 1975 . . . it seems such a long time ago! I was a "mature" 24 year-old back then. Here's a newspaper ad from the time . . .

Have a great weekend!

T.

PS: I'm the one behind the good lookin' chick singer.

PPS: Check out the hip "Leisure Suits" and the polyester shirts, wide lapels and wide-open shirts left opened up.

If you remember, it was really "cool" and sexy back then for men to have their shirts unbuttoned to show their manly, hairy chests!!! That was a great time for me . . . for I have more hair on my chest than Austin Powers!

The Leisure Suits were a cross in color between Mauve and Rust. "Groovy!"
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Tom !

Brings back a lot of (almost forgotten) memories ....

I, too, played in a few "bar-bands" in about the same era. It was my return to playing Trumpet ... only, I was the keyboard player (mainly). I would "chord" with my left-hand on the organ, and play Trumpet with my right-hand. (Keyboards pitched in C, Trumpet in Bb -- can produce migraines) . . . Tunes like "In The Midnight Hour" ... we did a lot of "soul" tunes. Also, tunes from "The Electric Flag", "Blood, Sweat & Tears", "Chicago (Transit Authority)".

Our lead singer wasn't good-looking ... he looked like Earnest Borgnine ... (really!) ... but, he could really sing in that style.

I'll admit to having a few leisure-suits, as well. That polyester fabric always seemed to have little, round "burn-holes" in it ... wonder how that happened ?

I remember one, particular gig at a "Juke-Joint" (in Southern Maryland) ... where a fight erupted. Instantly, the whole place was a fight-scene ... just like in the movies. Guys were smashing chairs over people's heads, all the bottles behind the bar got shattered .... Luckily for us in the band, police arrived quickly ... the bandstand was back in a corner, and there was no exit door. All kinds of cops -- state police, sheriff's department, county police, town cops ... they hauled-off everybody in the bar (except us, in the band) in paddy-wagons.

I see on the newspaper ad you provided (cool !) the host was "Hoot Gibson". Don't hear that nick-name much these days. Years ago, nearly everyone named Gibson, aquired that nick-name from the movies Cowboy. Forty-eight cent "high-balls"! Don't hear "high-balls" much, either.

Yeah ... "back-in-the-day" ....

Thanks for the memories ....

BTW -- just got an e-mail from an "e-Pal" who lives in Lady Lake, Florida. Thankfully, his property was spared extensive damage from that storm yesterday. We've never met, but we correspond regularly via e-mail. I got a "near-mint" vintage Martin Committee medium-bore Trumpet from him, a few years ago. He's a "racer" ... has a shop there in Lady Lake ... getting ready for Daytona.

Those folks there in that area need our prayers.

All the best,
Robt
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I get it:

shepard's crook & deep,v-cup mouthpiece = soft, traditional cornet sound

long cornet & c-cup mouthpiece = louder, trumpet-like sound

How about using a long cornet with a deep, v-cup mouthpiece?

That's what I do, and I think it gives a great result. I use a Flip Oakes #5 old style mouthpiece with my King Master cornet. It is plenty loud, but there is no mistaking it for a trumpet. I prefer this sound to either the soft, traditional sound or the c-cup trumpety sound.

Does anyone else use a combination like this?
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markp,

While that is working in the right direction for good cornet playing, I feel that it's worth pointing out that it's a dangerous simplification to suggest that "shepards crook and deep V mpc = traditional soft sound"....

One frequently reads on the predominantly American based sites such as this that the cornet sound is "traditional" and "soft" and that the 'secret' is the good old "deep V mpc".......all of these assumptions are at best only half truths.

Modern cornet method as found in UK Brass bands has developed greatly over the last 30 or so years and the typical old cornet sound as obtained with the old 'peashooter' cornets is rarely heard nowadays. Very few UK cornet players are still using "deep V" mpcs as most have moved on to modern recurved designs of various depths such as the Denis Wick range which were a key element in the sweeping changes to the brass band movement in the mid 1960's.

It seems to be a fond idea in other parts of the world that here in the UK brass bands are sitting in ancient bandrooms firmly sticking to the music and playing methods of the Victorian era. While there ARE a few bands like this and more than a few that are fiercely conservative, it's also true that the gas lamps and dark brown music from 1880 are long gone along with the quaint sound of cornets engraved with lillies of the valley and played by workmen with cloth caps.....I personally have not seen such a thing for,..oh, at least a couple of years now!

The thing to remember about really good cornet playing such as you can hear in the top 10 or so world class bands in the UK, is the extreme versatility and virtuosity. The typical 'cornet sound' as we know it is not just one type of voice but a whole range of tonal qualities on the instant command of the musical director,...at one moment bright and hard, at the next rich and glowing, plus many other musical needs of what is very demanding music.

In line with this the modern cornet is a much larger bore than those of 40 years ago and, if not actually 'built for speed' then certainly designed for extreme versatility.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
Markp,

While that is working in the right direction for good cornet playing,....

....the modern cornet is a much larger bore than those of 40 years ago and, if not actually 'built for speed' then certainly designed for extreme versatility.

Great post. I've listened to quite a few British brass band recordings, and there is a tremendous range of tone colorings to be found from piece to piece. Not just one "cornet sound", and certainly not the deep mouthpiece flugel sound that many in the U.S. think is the proper cornet tone.
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dale,

I seem to remember that I have posted very similar stuff on at least a couple of previous threads,...each time picked up and reinforced by yourself!

Perhaps if we keep going with enough determination, between us we will eventually get this message across!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: