• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jamey Aebersold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there have been other topics on these books, but I just got a couple for Christmas and I was wondering how you all approach them.

Are they part of your everyday practice? Do you read the whole book, then go back and play the exercises? Do you jsut use them for fun?

Just looking for some insight that may help me get the most out of these books...

mm
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am by no means an expert on the subject but I have had my Abersold books for a while now and still have not read either all the way through.
I have just started out with the CD for fun. Playing riffs while looking at the scale charts. Then playing without looking at them and realizing how much I need to study my sclaes.
I only had the first book a month and it helped me with a performance. I generally steer clear of ad lib solos but I had confidence enough to try. I was impressed with how I did and so were others. Not to say it was great, but I did fine.
Good luck.

Eric

[ This Message was edited by: boofredlay on 2003-01-03 08:08 ]
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the responses you get. I stopped by a music store and bought all the ones they had today. 5 of them.

Jamey's website http://www.jazzbooks.com talks about the order, guess that would be a good place. They have a forum also. And Jamey takes part. What surprised me is the amount of guitar players using the play alongs. 80% of a recent poll seemed to be guitar players.

I took a class for a week one time but it was too much info. I DID get real good at F and G blues, though.

I used the back of my Clarkes tech studies for scratch paper. Here is a list of the cats that taught the week I went.

I'm going to kill the spelling.

Dick Washburn-- Indiana
John McNeal
Pat Harbison
Ken Sloan

Sax
Tom Hart
Jerry Coker
George Bourcureu (sp?)

John Lasering t-bone
Frank Cumaris Piano
Jim McNealy piano

Mark Mike -- drums
Ed Soff

Steve Urkeagua-- guitar
David Baker- cello- Indiana
Todd Coleman- bass
and of course, Jamey Aebersold

Anyway those are the names written in pencil.

It dawned on me today that I spent all this year getting my chops back and since I'm not in a band, why not spend all this coming year really getting my improv chops down.

Hopefully we can find those notes that are supposedly in there, somewhere.

mm
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mark!

Flashback city! I'll bet that camp was at San Jose State in the late '70s. Right?

Pat Harbison
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger!

One week in June or July-- '78 or '79. Maybe '80.

I remember it like it was, seven years ago.

mm
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-27 17:48, musicmonkey wrote:
I know there have been other topics on these books, but I just got a couple for Christmas and I was wondering how you all approach them.

Are they part of your everyday practice? Do you read the whole book, then go back and play the exercises? Do you jsut use them for fun?

Just looking for some insight that may help me get the most out of these books...

mm

I have the first 6 books. I plan on integrating them into my weekly practice, but not daily.... I listened to the first disc, than read the book and the free jazz handbook straight through before attempting any playalong.... I think it's more important to hear something before reading about it.... I also get the impression (and please keep in mind I'm not a very experienced player) that the playalongs are a good way to maintain "jazz chops" but an inadequate way of developing them.... since I'm more interested in eventually playing classical repertoire, I'm just trying to have fun with them.... but that could change once I get more chances to play jazz with other musicians and as I get better.... I hope to get through the first 6 books before I start collecting social security (if it's still available when I hit seventy)
2BSchilke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these books, they have helped my improv a lot! I have #17,12,25,37,&40- lots of "standards". I sit with my horn & CD player and jump around- depends on the mood. Also makes you change gears like in a gig. Listen to the Linda Ronstadt Nelson Riddle CDs for a nice concept of many of the Jazz standards.
For me it is a fun way to practice.
Good Luck-
Paul
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have mentioned this earlier, I have books 1 and 24 (I think that's the right number, it's the major and minor scale one).

I'm finding that working with the scale books has been difficult. I know my major scales, but playing the triads and such as Jamey recomends is a real challenge! Challenge is good though, but if anybody has any suggestions for learning triads, etc. I'd love to hear them.

Also, just putting on a random track and improving over the rythm section without knowing the key seems to be good ear training. Anybody else do this?

mm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: