• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

multiple trumpet stands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacherchops
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: multiple trumpet stands Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good stand for multiple horns. i.e. flugel/trumpet stand. Has anyone tried the Hercules stands?
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hercules stand is AWESOME! I just bought one and absolutely love it, not to mention it looks like it was made from a Tonka truck
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Store model Reply with quote

I have a Hercules as well, and it's very handy for part of the fleet at home. Not sure I'd want to unscrew the tops and cart it around, though.

Osmun Music in Boston has got a great stand in their trial room upstairs. I think it's Yamaha branded, but it's clearly from a manufacturer for store display. It's got a THICK wooden base, very heavy so it would never be tippy even full of horns, and I think it's got 4 or 5 horn pegs on it.

I keep meaning to take a photo of the base so I can try and recreate it. I'll just cut a big wooden base in my wood shop then attach some K&M threaded plugs so I can screw my K&M stand tops onto a big base. I'd like to do that without cannibalizing the K&M 5 leg bases, haven't come up with that answer yet.
rank_amateur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Store model Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:

I'll just cut a big wooden base in my wood shop then attach some K&M threaded plugs so I can screw my K&M stand tops onto a big base. I'd like to do that without cannibalizing the K&M 5 leg bases, haven't come up with that answer yet.

I did exactly what you described. I used four K&Ms to make a wall-mounted stand for my office/studio. I disassembled the K&M bases and the carefully drilled a hole straight through the center of the plastic center piece and then ran a screw through it into the end of the wooden dowel stock I used to support the K&M pegs. To use the K&Ms as portable five-leg stands again, I just unscrew the peg, unscrew the screw, and drop the legs back into the center piece. It's a bit of a kludge but it does work.

(To be totally honest, I just bought a couple more K&Ms to use at gigs and rarely dismount the ones I use in the studio. But I could if I wanted to. )

Lawler TL1-1A Bb
King 2065 copper bell C
Kanstul 1025 Flugel
Curry mouthpieces
BigMark65
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: multiple horn stands Reply with quote

Well, if you want to do something inexpensive and fun, build your own! All you need is some PVC, glue, a few screws, some old tennis balls, and an hour or so. Completely modular; you can assemble and break down quickly as well as add pegs for as many horns as you have.

Pics at:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/robertssix/DSCF0002.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/robertssix/DSCF0003-1.jpg

Schilke B3 gold
Courtois Flugel
DGR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for the Hercules triple (two trumpet and flugel) stand: it's sturdy, and decidely hard (though not impossible...) to tip over, especially with three horns on it. It does get slightly less stable with just two horns, especially if the two are a fairly heavy trumpet and a fairly heavy flugel. Overall quality and design are excellent, and in my opinion, a good deal for the money.

On the negative side, I've yet to find a convenient way to haul the stand around, as it is both rather heavy (for a stand) and definitely awkward to carry when disassembled. I typically break the stand down and stash it in the piccolo trumpet pocket of my triple case for transport, which works fairly well assuming I don't need to haul three horns.

Hope this helps.

dr
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Multiple Trumpet Stands Reply with quote

I have one of the mentioned Yamaha "display" stands given to me by a friend. 4 horns, very heavy base and well cushioned instrument mounts.
I use it at home and at quintet recitals where I need to hold multiple trumpets and get to them quickly and easily.

I also have a Bach display stand (3 horns) which is basically a marble base with Hamilton style mounts. Very good as well.

I did not care for the Hercules models as they look so wierd (IMO) but they look like they would do the job.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the brand at the moment, but WWBW carries a folding model with available perches for 3 horns; DON'T BUY IT!! As a 2 horn model it would be ok, except that the wooden spools/horn holders have less than adequate padding/covering, and the possiblity of denting a bell with them is high. When putting 3 horns on it, the placement is so close together that horn dinging is just inevitable. Needless to say, I would never carry this accident waiting to happen to a gig, and use it carefully for home horn display only. Just fyi.....

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
DrPhil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejaime23 wrote:
The Hercules stand is AWESOME! I just bought one and absolutely love it, not to mention it looks like it was made from a Tonka truck

Yep...couldn't have said it better meself...
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejaime23 wrote:

I have one of those things and thought the same of it. It looks like a piece of make-believe construction equipment at first glance, but actually works very well. It's moderately stable, and quite inexpensive. I'd just screw the pegs in as tight as possible. I've had a few issues when I didn't, but nothing too major. I was only given a scare, is all.
Stevenson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: SaxRax Reply with quote

take a look at www.saxrax.com

it is to cool!!!
trumpeterswain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Display Mount Reply with quote

Good discussion thread. I'm considering mounting a couple of these on my wall, to get my instruments off the floor -

http://www.amazon.com/Trumpet-Cornet-Display-Mount/dp/B000PK3KRA/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1201417384&sr=1-24

Does anyone have any experience with this system -- or anything similar?
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lock-washers on the Hercules stands will fix the problems of the pegs working loose.

And the clarinet / flute peg is perfect for piccs.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
asemaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've "slightly" modified my herc triple. It's now a quad & I've weighted the legs with lead. It's much more stable now but a little heavy to carry all the time. It does fit in a Crown Royal bag though.
Anyone with $$
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Display Mount Reply with quote

trumpeterswain wrote:
Good discussion thread. I'm considering mounting a couple of these on my wall, to get my instruments off the floor -

http://www.amazon.com/Trumpet-Cornet-Display-Mount/dp/B000PK3KRA/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1201417384&sr=1-24

Does anyone have any experience with this system -- or anything similar?

I do not. Gravity scares me when it comes to my horns.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asemaster wrote:
I've "slightly" modified my herc triple. It's now a quad & I've weighted the legs with lead. It's much more stable now but a little heavy to carry all the time. It does fit in a Crown Royal bag though.

wow - izzat the Party-Size 5-liter Royal Crown bag?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
talkenhorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: multiple horn stands Reply with quote

BigMark65 wrote:
Well, if you want to do something inexpensive and fun, build your own! All you need is some PVC, glue, a few screws, some old tennis balls, and an hour or so. Completely modular; you can assemble and break down quickly as well as add pegs for as many horns as you have.

Pics at:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/robertssix/DSCF0002.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/robertssix/DSCF0003-1.jpg

I know this is an old post but I need a multi-trumpet stand. I have a Hercules I use at home and when I perform. BUT for when I am working at home, it would be so convenient to just have the horns out and available. I remember several multi-trumpet stands that are not available anymore. The stands also had more than just 3 slots. BUT, I'm looking at the PVC combo, I can do that. I don't need to haul more than 3 so yeah, I am inspired and I have the stuff, I don't even need to buy anything, win/win for me. It's BRILLIANT! Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: