• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinhardt in Cuba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reinhardt in Cuba Reply with quote

I got a call last night from a wonderful young trumpet player from Cuba. He and his Wife have been lucky enough to get out of that Hell hole that Fidel has been destroying since 1959. This fellow was calling me from Miami. Though he has only been here a short time, his English was excellent (I also speak some Spanish) but we mostly talked in English. And just so everyone knows, he is not on any sort of Government assistance, he is painting houses for a living and playing as many jobs as he can.

He wanted a REINHARDT lesson....!!! He told me that there is one Xerox copy of Doc's Encyclopedia floating around Cuba from trumpet player to trumpet player. He told me that Doc is popular in Cuba. He said that the internet is very hard to get over there but that he would go to the library and copy out in long hand posts by Dave Sheetz, Rich Willey, and Myself.

My idea was that possibly the Reinhardt Foundation could donate some copies of the Encyclopedia and I would see that they get to the right people in Cuba. My Wife is Cuban and still has Family there. Or possibly this young Man could help with that also, seeing that he knows the trumpet playing community in Cuba.

Many people here in this Country have no idea what goes on over there. Without turning this into a political thread let me just say that in 1959 when Castro and his thugs took that beautiful Island over my Wife's uncle was a young architect. He was called in by the government and told that he would be designing buildings for the "revolution". He told them that he was not a communist and that he would like to come to America and live in freedom. He wound up doing 28 years in a Cuban prison eating Russian pet food every day..........

I would think that 6 or 7 copies would be enough. They are very resourceful over there. Those few copies could go a long way. If just blew my mind that on this small isolated island that has been almost completely cut off from us for over fifty years and they know who Reinhardt is and have one old beat up Xerox copy of his greatest work floating around the trumpet community.

Chris LaBarbera
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris, that sounds like a great idea! No country should be deprived of Reinhardt!
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My Wife is Cuban and still has Family there.

Chris,

Has your wife seen the Arturo Sandoval movie, "For Love or Country"? I believe it was filmed in Puerto Rico. Does she think it captures the Cuban life? The music is great and Mia Maestro is gorgeous.

John
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, thank you for all your support. Everything it's true, in Cuba the internet is very slow and is very hard to get any information. I've got lucky that a fellow trumpet player lend me a Xerox copy of the Encyclopedia and I read it, it was an eye-opener for me and the results in my playing were great then I copy an old Manual and started to practicing and the results were even better, everything improved, sound, range, flexibility, etc. But I had to typed myself and I'm not really shure about my type until a real Reinhardt's teacher see me playing. I came to this country and suddenly I see that all the tools are here (books, teachers, equipment, audios, videos, etc.) so everybody can get better, but the only way is: seeking a good teacher ( I strongly recommend a Reinhardt teacher) and practicing our beloved instrument every day. Thank you so much Chris, I enjoyed very much talking with you, I'm very happy for taking lessons with you very soon.
Best Regards,

Juan
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to America!
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing, and not surprising in the least. Kudos to you Chris for reaching out!
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Encyclopedia still copyrighted material? if not i have a pdf of it in spanish that i could forward you, that could be printed and sent out.
if it is than obviously i can't send it.

regards

tom
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960,

If you could somehow hook up with JuanC just a few posts above this one hes the guy who could probably get it in the right hands in Cuba.

Thanks,
Chris
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I started to study English was because every trumpet book was written in English. I want to know who make the Spanish translation? One thing is for shure, in Cuba don't exist the copyright, if you have a book, recording, video or anything trumpet related, you should pass it to your fellows. I know that this is against law but remember that Cuba it's a "different planet" , when I was in Cuba I had to pay someone for download youtube videos, unbelievable uh!!
Saludos,

juanc
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok chris
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Books sent to JuanC Reply with quote

Mr.Hollywood wrote:
KRELL1960,

If you could somehow hook up with JuanC just a few posts above this one hes the guy who could probably get it in the right hands in Cuba.

Thanks,
Chris

So far The Reinhardt Foundation has sent 7 Encyclopedias and John Wilson has graciously sent 2 more to JuanC. It would be nice if the same # of The Reinhardt Routines were matched and sent as well. How about it, Rich? Maybe this will start a trend to other places and requests. The Reinhardt Foundation is open to membership as well as for past dues to be paid. Go to www.reinhardtfoundation.org and support it.
Thanks,
Dave S.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Books sent to JuanC Reply with quote

airdyn wrote:
Mr.Hollywood wrote:
KRELL1960,

Thanks,
Chris

So far The Reinhardt Foundation has sent 7 Encyclopedias and John Wilson has graciously sent 2 more to JuanC. It would be nice if the same # of The Reinhardt Routines were matched and sent as well. How about it, Rich? Maybe this will start a trend to other places and requests. The Reinhardt Foundation is open to membership as well as for past dues to be paid. Go to www.reinhardtfoundation.org and support it.
Thanks,
Dave S.

Send me the address, Juan, and we'll see what we can do.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wife (who is Cuban) was going to call JuanC this week and find out if he can handle this.

He is the one who originally contacted me about a lesson and told me how popular Reinhardt was in Cuba, so I think the books should go to him to forward to Cuba.

Remember , you are still dealing with a Communist Dictatorship and if the books are deemed "unfit" for the "Revolution" they could just be confiscated and destroyed.

I will make sure my Wife speaks to Juan this week.

Chris
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Chris, Dave, John Wilson and Rich Willey. I received the books this afternoon. I will send the books to Cuba to my trumpet fellows there, including two of my former teachers in the University of Arts in Havana, Cuba. I can't say enough how much I appreciate all this.
Don't worry Chris, the "Castro brothers" don't know about "The Reinhardt's conspiracy", this is our little secret, ok?
Best regards,

Juan

P.S. Rich, I wrote to you when I was in Cuba, don't you remember?
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanc wrote:
P.S. Rich, I wrote to you when I was in Cuba, don't you remember?

Yes, and I think I sent you some PDFs if memory serves (which it doesn't often do, I'm afraid). Let me/us know what you need for your oppressed brethren and we'll do what we can for the cause.
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Rich for contributed to "the cause"!!!
Also, I've got some news!! Reinhardt is also in Guatemala!! I have a very close friend wich is a great trumpet player and I talked with about Reinhardt some time ago, and he bought The Reinhardt Routines and Focal Point. He is a very well known teacher there so, The Pivot System is in Guatemala also!!!
I want to expand the Reinhardt legacy not only in my country but also in the Hispanic countries if I can, I feel like The Pivot System has been somehow hidden to the hispanic trumpet community, I think that mostly because the language-barrier. I read a translation and it's incorrect, the context in a few cases are not quite the same in my opinion, so "we" must learn some English and read the Encyclopedia amigos!!!
Best wishes,

Juan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: