• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Church Solo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have a question concerning a solo for church. Every Sunday at the first of the month we have a special all singing and fellowship service and my dad and everyone else at church has been buggin me to play. Does anyone know a good piece that is kinda peppy, goes up to a High C and is flashy?? I would really like to show the people at my church what I can really do. Could you also include like a site where I could buy the music?? Thanks for any help.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many excellent solos for church work. There is a book from Mel Bay publishing called 7 Festive Solos for trumpet and organ, (or something like that). All of the pieces are very upbeat and most of them have endings that range from B to Eb. There are also sections throughout the pieces that are played in the upper register. I like them because almost everyone knows the songs that the solos are based on and they really showcase the performer.

There are many excellent arrangements written for Tim Zimmerman and the King's Brass that work well for solo trumpet. You should also check out Phil Driscoll's arrangements for Classical Hymns Vol. 1. Some of those go up to G above high C.

Always remember the real reason that you are playing at church is for the glory of God, but that there is nothing wrong with displaying the talent he has given you.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington Music Series has some great solos also. Their version of "To God be the Glory" is awesome. It ends on a high Bb with an optional D. I like to start with the Bb, let the organist stretch out the chord, descending into the pedal register and when they settle on the very low Bb, the trumpet plays very deliberately a chromatic scale starting on the Bb and going up to the D.
Mr. Trumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I'm Carlos a christian trumpet player I play only for the glory of God. I can give you some recomendations to obtain tremendus christian music. You can go first to http://www.ebay.com to obtain christian sheet music for the half or less of price. You can go also to this site http://www.windmusicplus.com
Here you can find christian sheet music also with the cd and piano accompanient. I also recomended one that I check and is tremendus is called "Contemporary Praise" is a tremendus book that have tremendus christian music and also come with the cd accompanient. This book is not for beginers is category 3 and I imagine that contains tremendus arragements for the intermediate or semi pro trumpet. I also recomended the best for you the Phil Driscoll music. He are a tremendus minister of God he Plays a powerful trumpet sound and I also recomended because he have and sell the sheet music and the tracks of his music is tremendus and is in the High register.You can go to his site http://www.mightyhorn.com and call to obtain the prices. I hope you can find the christian music to play for the Glory of God. God Bless you brother.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Trumpet on 2002-01-06 22:52 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate all the help. I really want to show the people at my church the talent God gave me for playing the trumpet. These are great suggestions and I will look into them immediatly. Thanks.
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be too late here, but one piece I played in particular was very fun, and way out there, yet traditional sounding enough for a church service. It is called "Outburst for Trumpet and Organ." You'll have to hunt it down yourself, I don't know the publisher.
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Contemporary Praise" book and cd are great for anyone who ministers by playing trumpet. This music and some others are available at the web site http://www.encoremusic.com look under the trumpet index. Also look at http://www.brasstrax.com for other good music. Just keep giving God the Glory and he will bless your efforts!

Bruce
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year ago my church wen to visit another church and they asked me to play a solo and at that church they had a 2 trumpeter's so I play my song. The 2 trumpeters come up to me and say that i did very well ect. so about 3 months later they come and visit us and they want to play a trio so I sight read the music and we did real well. And after church the guy comes up to me and gives me this huge black book that said The Instrumental Hymnal. It had a hundreds of transpose trumpet songs for when I play with piano. So know whenever I sit it and play with the organ i dont have to transpose I just get out the book look up the song check to see it's in the right concert key and boom I'm ready to go.

Oh about the solo Phi Driscoll has many trumpet solos for church.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rbuser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although fairly new to the trumpet (2 years) i'm not that new to church music as i've been playing piano and/or organ in churches for 30 years. one solo book that i've found fun, challenging and very leading for worship is "hymns for the contemporary instrumental soloist" arranged by fletch wiley and david winkler. use of range is good, rhythms interesting and i think one of the best parts is that the piano accompanient is done well too. the piano part is fun to play - not boring. nothing worse than trying to lead a worship service with a horn (or voice) and have an accompanient part that is either boring, flat to listen to and/or no fun to play. playing for Christ is great - to have it be meaningful, fun and interesting at the same time for the players (soloist and accompanist) and the congregation just makes the worship that much more meaningful for everybody in the santuary.

(as a church musician and having been a keyboard person who has accompanied many a person, when you're choosing a song/arrangement do be aware of the accompaniests need to combine worship and playing as well. you see, the congregation will be worshiping when listening contrasted to you (and your accompaniest) will be worshiping while playing. i think the goal is to play and worship together not to have two soloists playing and worshiping at the same time).

roy
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know of any solos that are not the praise stuff? Like some hymns, or fanfares and stuff?
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Church material is a book called Trumpet in Church by Shirley Denwood.

available from Emerson Music UK or online ..

http://www.mostynmusic.com

25 pieces with Organ/Piano acc.

Pardon me if you know of this already....I'm new to the Church music game.

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: