• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Learning the Piano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drberg1000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Learning the Piano Reply with quote

I'll be receiving my Aunt's piano in the next month or so and am looking for a method book(s). Something geared towards adults that would pass over things like:

This is a quarter note. This is a quarter rest. This is an eighth note. This is an eighth rest. This is a sixteenth note... ad nauseum. Of course I don't need to spend any time on what notes are what in the treble clef. I'm not as familiar with the bass clef but can find my way around if given a moment to think.

My fingers still remember a few simple scales and cords but not much more. Its been about 15 years since I really worked at it back in middle school.

Any suggestions for a book with interesting exercises that skips the basic theory?

--Dave
amtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred's Adult Piano Course is a good one. That's what I used. Also, get a teacher.
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice I give people who want to learn piano, especially for the purpose of playing popular music, is to get a book (or even just a poster/printout) of chords. Pick some songs you want to learn, get the tab charts, and start figuring out the chords of the song. Just work on your right hand, since your left will mostly end up playing the bass line, but that can be worked out later.

Once you figure out the basic chords of the song, start experimenting with inversions and arpeggios to make things more interesting. Also, while you are playing chords, experiment with moving a finger to an adjacent key to get a different, but maybe related chord.

Keep this up for a month or two, and you will start to have a repetoire. Maybe not Chopin, but you will be able to make some music, and that's what it's all about!

Good luck.

- Paul
Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WrathofHan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teacher = valuable tool for anyone who wants to play piano, even for fun.
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist" This book contains necessary scales and hand positions. It will not be the only book you need, but it is one that you should work at a bit often and regularily. jbqd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: