• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mendez and jazz...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivantpt89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Mendez and jazz... Reply with quote

Hello, i'm currently a senior in highschool and plan to move to mexico later this year to pursue my musical development out there and hopefully in cuba. I love jazz, and i study it endlessly, i also love the trumpet and all good music, with good trumpet players (of course . I was just curious does anyone know what the deal with Raale and jazz was? was there any? did he play it? I bet if he did he must have been amazing. I've heard his version of "body and soul", and his version of "I know what you know", did he record more? cause i live his sound in any type of improv. style. For what he does in these sounds he truly demonstrates how huge his capacity was, if there is more jazz recordings out there, please let me know on which recordings or if you could help me and pass them on, i'd greatly appreciate it. It would really make and inspire my life just like rafael's existence has. Thank you.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafael never really played jazz as we know it today. He formed two "jazz" groups which were used to feature himself.

One was called the Juarez Combo. They cut a few 78 rpm discs, but it was basically a cross between Latin and mararchi styles. He never actually improvised.

The other group was called Mendez and the All-Stars. It was a big band. He cut several 78s with this group, too. The style was typical big band with trumpet features. Actually, I believe this was the group that may have recorded some pieces that were later reissued as a Mendez 33 rpm Decca LP: The Singing Trumpet. Again, the style is "a la Harry James" and is very nice, but he never really improvised jazz. . . just a few embellishments over the main tune.

When Mendez played first trumpet in the MGM studio orchestra, there were several times when the scores called for a true jazz trumpet solo. The music was not written out for him and had the chord symbols only. He had much trouble with this and was once quoted to say, "I would trade all of my technique for eight measures of real jazz."

DH
Ivantpt89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, i had heard about the woute before... but i never made much of it, i mean... Someone as great as him, having difficulty with chord symbols, that just sounds like something taken out of the twilight zone. I mean the man knew his theory, and played various instruments, and his original works, and arrangements show how deep rooted he was in the study of music. Not to mention his ability on the horn, i mean he could've playd anything he wanted to, why would he have trouble with improv?
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had no problem figuring out what the chords were, he just didn't have much background in jazz.
allstarbugler
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivantpt89 wrote:
Wow, i had heard about the woute before... but i never made much of it, i mean... Someone as great as him, having difficulty with chord symbols, that just sounds like something taken out of the twilight zone. I mean the man knew his theory, and played various instruments, and his original works, and arrangements show how deep rooted he was in the study of music. Not to mention his ability on the horn, i mean he could've playd anything he wanted to, why would he have trouble with improv?

GREAT LESSON TO BE LEARNED HERE!

Maybe you can play all types of music well, but even the best excell at only one.................

Find your niche and go for it!
LegallyTrumpeting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be true but narrow minded as well. That's why NYC and LA has some of the best freelancers that can do it all from studio to big band, symphony, jazz, and any type of commercial work. Mendez was good at a fast vibrato and multiple tounging, thats about it. His sound was ok and he did music from his region of the world and nationality, and thats fine for him. it doesn't fit in well with todays standards of what a trumpet player should be. Check out Wayne bergeron, Rick baptist, Malcolm Mc Nab, Dave Trigg, Tony Kadleck and cats like that.
leadtpt1955
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LegallyTrumpeting wrote:
That could be true but narrow minded as well. That's why NYC and LA has some of the best freelancers that can do it all from studio to big band, symphony, jazz, and any type of commercial work. Mendez was good at a fast vibrato and multiple tounging, thats about it. His sound was ok and he did music from his region of the world and nationality, and thats fine for him. it doesn't fit in well with todays standards of what a trumpet player should be. Check out Wayne bergeron, Rick baptist, Malcolm Mc Nab, Dave Trigg, Tony Kadleck and cats like that.

In case you missed it, he wasn't playing to TODAY'S standards. He was playing to HIS standards. Have you ever pondered as to WHY he is as revered as he is? I suggest you go back and do a bit more listening to him and his unique voice on the horn.

Mendez was a pioneering trumpet soloist whose sound was easily identifiable as being "Mendez". As wonderful as the players you cited are (and I agree they are all great players!) they are not really individually recognizable. Every player only builds on who came before him/her. Individual voices only come along very occasionally....Miles, Maynard, Maurice Andre (lots of M names here for some reason) It's the difference between incredible skill and unique artistry.

Rick
allstarbugler
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadtpt1955 wrote:
LegallyTrumpeting wrote:

In case you missed it, he wasn't playing to TODAY'S standards. He was playing to HIS standards. Have you ever pondered as to WHY he is as revered as he is? I suggest you go back and do a bit more listening to him and his unique voice on the horn.

Mendez was a pioneering trumpet soloist whose sound was easily identifiable as being "Mendez". As wonderful as the players you cited are (and I agree they are all great players!) they are not really individually recognizable. Every player only builds on who came before him/her. Individual voices only come along very occasionally....Miles, Maynard, Maurice Andre (lots of M names here for some reason) It's the difference between incredible skill and unique artistry.

Rick

Well said!
allstarbugler
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LegallyTrumpeting wrote:

All personal friends of yours, I suppose?

Let's see, so far you've dissed Mendez and Vizzutti (in another thread). just wondering if your "aforementioned friends" have you at the top of their sub - list?
LegallyTrumpeting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actully all great players. i just dont like the sound that Mendez had, too thin and too much vibrato. I think if you listened to the jazz and orchestral players of the time, from Louis Armstrong to Harry Glanz, you'll hear players that were developing sounds that defined an orchestra(ny phil) and a style of jazz playing that can't be matched today. Mendez just doesn't do it for me.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez had an enormous influence on the school music community of his day and still influences young people today. My students enjoy working on his solo collection. He's got style.
broro2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez was the absolute best at what he did, and should be included in any serious trumpet students education....

Bob
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivantpt89 wrote:

Ever met a really good classical musician who just can't improvise? Or a jazzer who apologizes because he just "can't play it straight"? May have something to do with how our brains are wired from the word go.

Some are more suited to improv/creativity, some are better at rote/structure. Doesn't mean one is a better musician - just different. Mendez may not be everybody's cup of tea and he certainly didn't cover all the musical bases but he was a superb musician and highly influential as well.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LegallyTrumpeting wrote:

There will never be another Mendez. 'nuff said!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O*******le! Consider his background, how he learned to play, it's not really accurate to say he couldn't improvise. And he certainly played jazz, of a type which was popular at the time and in a style all his own. Listen to what he does to standards like "Dark Eyes" and tell me he couldn't improvise - he may well have written out every note beforehand (not saying he did; it wouldn't matter), but the embellishments are uniquely his. He was enormously successful at the same time as some others who are revered today as jazz pioneers - think of Yank Lawson, Howard McGhee, Bunny Berigan, and, yes, even Harry James. Mendez was perhaps more a showman, in the vein of James, but he laid down some lines most of today's players would have trouble duplicating. He was just different, OK? That doesn't mean he wasn't among the greatest. Quit dissing my hero.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone today who does a good job imitating Mendez? Or perhaps the question could be, who today can play Mendez' music most like he could? (and don't say George Staerkel )

Is there anyone today who can replicate his lightning-fast, staccato double tongue?

Can you play with the vibrato that he and Harry James (and, to some extent, Doc) did and "turn it off" at will? Or is it more something that becomes an integral part of your playing?

Just curious ....

-- Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: