• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can Anyone Tell Me What Happened to this Guy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 11 or 12 seasons back in the fifties and sixties, the Beaumont Symphony in Beaumont, TX had a German conductor named Edvard Fendler. He was an interesting old coot, speaking 5 or 6 European languages fluently, including Russian. When we had guest soloists from Europe, Fendler used to show off by conducting all his conversations with them during rehearsals in their native tongue. He was a guest conductor with the London Symphony one summer after our season had closed and a guest conductor of the Berlin Symphony one summer. He was a lot more respected in Europe than he was in Beaumont (Backwater), TX.

His hobby was searching music archives in Europe nearly every sumer looking for forgotten manuscripts. He found a couple of them too, but I don't remember whose they were.

Fendler was born in Germany, studied conducting in Belgium, and lead a symphony orchestra, which performed a daily, morning broadcast in Paris up untill WWII. He fled France on one of the last ships to leave before the Nazis bottles up all the southern ports. From there Fendler traveled to Central America, and then to Brazil. He conducted the Rio DeJanario(sp?) Symphony for a number of years before he came to the States. I'm not sure of his travels in the U.S., but he was conductor of the Beaumont Symphony, when I joined it in January 1962.

He resigned from his position in 1970, as I remember, and I lost track of him. I know he married a school teacher who was considerably younger than he was.

Does anyone know where he went from Beaumont, and what happened to him after that?

Just curious. Thanks.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this guy's life story is very interesting.
Go to google and type in his name.
He was an author,too.
Wilmer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: