• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece for jazz cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusickMartin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:48 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece for jazz cornet Reply with quote

Hi, i just got myself a Yamaha ycr 231 (long american model) cornet without a mouthpiece. The kind of sound i have in mind is something similar to Warren Vaches sound, for playing jazz standards in a small group. I've played trumpet for some years but know very little about cornets.

I've noticed that Yamaha has short/middle and long shank mouthpieces. Will the long shank give a more trumpety feel/sound to the cornet (I dont want it to sound like a trumpet really)? What are the general characteristics of long and short shank. I know much of the WV sound is in the way he plays, but what kinda mouthpiece do you think would help me the most to get that kinda smoky/warm (still lively) WV imtimate jazz sound? Any brands you recommend for my purpose? (I only looked at Yamaha because i might be able to test some of them easier..)

Btw. i play on GR66M for allround trumpet playing and GR66Z** for lead. (I also like the rim of the Z** a bit more than the M i think.)
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Btw. i play on GR66M for allround trumpet playing and GR66Z** for lead. (I also like the rim of the Z** a bit more than the M i think.)

I used to play that very mouthpiece. During that time I also played a few of their cornet mouthpieces. They have an amazing range of cup depths and variations (If they are still in business).

WV plays a Warburton 5MV top, or so the story goes. That is a pretty shallow mouthpiece. My version of that is a Curry P mouthpiece. It is a bit shallow but not overly so with a sound that can be bright but still retains the richness I'm looking for.

If you are looking for any kind of sound in the smokey range, you'll have to go much deeper.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
MusickMartin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! Do you know if the GR cornet pieces have a long shank, and if so, how that will change the sound?

I'ts difficult to describe what kind of sound i want, maybe its not "smoky" but i like the airy intimate sound WV often has. I've noticed on my trumpet that i dont really need a deep cup to get that kinda sound, but if its too shallow its more difficult to make it smooth consistently.

Here is one of my favorite examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r5y4cOpi5Y
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusickMartin wrote:
Thanks for the information! Do you know if the GR cornet pieces have a long shank, and if so, how that will change the sound?

I'ts difficult to describe what kind of sound i want, maybe its not "smoky" but i like the airy intimate sound WV often has. I've noticed on my trumpet that i dont really need a deep cup to get that kinda sound, but if its too shallow its more difficult to make it smooth consistently.

Here is one of my favorite examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r5y4cOpi5Y

GR cornet mouthpieces. Yikes. Just checked prices and they are $345. I would say their shanks are the long style. For me the shank just has to match the horn. I know supposedly there is no gap on cornets but insertion depth sure affects how well the combination works.

WV is doing all of that on a pretty shallow mouthpiece through embouchure manipulation. He is legend for that. If you back off on cornet, it is pretty easy to do. I would still recommend a Curry P. Some people really like the Curry VC, but for me it never works as the alpha angle or inner rim edge is too soft.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: