• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Theory about too shallow of a mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Benge
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Theory about too shallow of a mouthpiece Reply with quote

So, let's say a guy has played on standard size (3c-7c) mouthpieces his whole life and decides to try something a bit shallower. He finds that it makes the job easier and can play well on it but finds that after extended periods of playing, his lips swell and he has to struggle to finish the night. The next day, practice does not go well or as long as it could because of condition of lips. Not to mention, that nights gig, next days practice, next nights gig, so on and so forth are not as good as they should be. Once a few days off are taken, everything feels good again due to a reduction of swelling. Does it makes sense for one to look at this and say, there is no way this person will be able to build up any endurance on this mouthpiece because the lips are swelling and quality of playing is deteriorating prematurely?
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Theory about too shallow of a mouthpiece Reply with quote

(Assuming the guy is you) My guess is that you're overblowing the shallow piece. So I'd say the mouthpiece is too shallow for you. You may want to either go one/a few steps less shallow or move up to a bigger rim size (in addition to the shallower cup) to add more volume to the cup.
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimum mouthpiece depth one can successfully use is dependent upon one's embouchure technique, as well has how much pressure one needs to use in order to perform.

Lots of pressure means lots of swelling. The need to use large amounts of pressure is an indication that the embouchure technique being employed is defective in some way.
hefferson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this same person get lots of lip swelling from the original mouthpiece 3c-7c?

Using a different size mouthpiece, big or small, can require a bit of an acclimation period for the lips. I believe the swelling would be due to unnecessary pressure. That pressure being put on a smaller space due to the smaller mouthpiece could explain why the days after would be so off the norm. Just an idea.
trumpetwinds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Shallow Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Players who use shallow mouthpieces are cheating. Most of the time, their sound is tiny and thin, ducky sounding and somewhat annoying. Nothing less than a C cup please! Anything less than a C cup stifles the warmth and volume (amount not loudness) of the tone.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
John 15:5
NIV
kanemania
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ, Mr. TrumpetWinds.

Shallow pieces aren't cheating. They're like push-up bras. With the right person, the results can be magnificent.
hefferson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Players who use shallow mouthpieces are cheating. Most of the time, their sound is tiny and thin, ducky sounding and somewhat annoying. Nothing less than a C cup please! Anything less than a C cup stifles the warmth and volume (amount not loudness) of the tone.

Wrong. Tell that to Wayne Bergeron. He uses a "shallow" mouthpiece. I wish I could play and sound like he does. He seems to do pretty well....as did Maynard.

There was actually a thread here recently about Warren Vache and how he gets such a warm and full sound (on cornet) using a 10 1/2 C equivalent.

It seems like people that call them cheaters are the people that can't play high. (I used to be one of these people)
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what some clinicians like Wayne and other have said in regard to shallow pieces, "Here," he passes the mpc to an attendee, "go ahead and cheat."

ed
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shallow Mouthpieces Reply with quote

trumpetwinds wrote:

I firmly diagree!

Bill Chase played a 6a4a which is more shallow than a C cup and his sound was not "tiny and thin"!

What about Maynard, Jon Faddis, Cat Anderson? And the list could go on and on! If these guys "annoy" you then I don't what to tell ya!
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanemania wrote:

Shallow pieces aren't cheating. They're like push-up bras. With the right person, the results can be magnificent.

Quote of the year.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Theory about too shallow of a mouthpiece Reply with quote

Mr. Benge wrote:
So, let's say a guy has played on standard size (3c-7c) mouthpieces his whole life and decides to try something a bit shallower. He finds that it makes the job easier and can play well on it but finds that after extended periods of playing, his lips swell and he has to struggle to finish the night. The next day, practice does not go well or as long as it could because of condition of lips. Not to mention, that nights gig, next days practice, next nights gig, so on and so forth are not as good as they should be. Once a few days off are taken, everything feels good again due to a reduction of swelling. Does it makes sense for one to look at this and say, there is no way this person will be able to build up any endurance on this mouthpiece because the lips are swelling and quality of playing is deteriorating prematurely?

What we're seeing here is the same as the trumpet player who attempts to double on trombone but soon feels awkward about switching back to the trumpet after playing the low brass instrument.

You need to take each mouthpiece in incremental stages. You wouldn't play trombone the first time and expect to switch right back on the fly to the trumpet on stage would you? I hope not because there's a rude awakening likely if you do.

I play several of the very shallowest mouthpieces available for most my commercial lead trumpet and rock 'n roll stuff. It's pure survival out there when nearly every tune has several High F's in it! When doing more symphonic band material I go a little deeper, but not much for this work.

If you're familiar with this antique stuff here's what i use
Al Cass:

3x6: A "bent dime" for most lead work/rock gigs. Very very shallow!
3x4: Ditto the above music but with some Sousa march type stuff or sectional work in symphonic band. Very shallow.
3x3: in cornet for 80% of symphonic band work and some R&B. Almost a very shallow mouthpiece!
The above mouthpieces all are in the shallow end of the pool. 3x6 being smaller even than the Schilke 6a4A

4-28: A full sized piece for solo symphonic work only. Probably similar to a 3C but much more comfortable. Or when i like to practice. Only rarely used in commercial work.

By being selective with mouthpiece choice I can maintain as much endurance as possible. Even at the end of a very demanding R&B evening i still have enough to get a piece of any note up to High A or so.

And even in symphonic band I still have something in reserve to pull off those really long fortissimo pieces. Or orchestral transcriptions that seem endless. In this later format the larger 4-28 piece is my "cheater". the one needed to get a totally warm sound in solo phrases.

The acoustics of mouthpiece choice are odd. Large mouthpieces can utilize their full tone mostly only in solo phrases when the rest of the band is playing soft. But this is the tone you hear while in practice. Or when you selected the mouthpiece at the music store practice room. You like the tone until you cave in or choke after several charts of demanding first trumpet work.

So when you're covering a whole evening of Sousa marches with no other first cornet player a shallow mouthpiece can really fit the bill. No one will notice. Only comments I've every heard are stuff like: "Hey Lee, where'd ya get those chops? You never stopped playing all night"!

Next:

trumpetwinds wrote:

I'm going to put this post into my "most questionable statement of the year" file

Are you telling moi that I have a ducky, annoying sound? Please feel free to request a link with a sound clip if you want. Then judge ME as you would relative to the statement. Apologies in advance for giving you a hard time.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, a properly working mouthpiece allows you to compress but also to relax enough to allow your chops to recover. I find that the swelling you describe happens when the mouthpiece is to tight or shallow or had an unconfortable alpha angle preventing the lips from ever relaxing. Most notorious for me was the Schilke xA4a series.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jrtrp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler Bb wrote:
kanemania wrote:

Quote of the year.

I couldn't agree more.

Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
Bach Strad L-bore 25
-----------------------
Stork Custom
Curry 3B
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP....
you need to go to a smaller diameter as well as shallower.

If your lips are swelling it cuz you are pressing when you get excited.

what are you playing on?

If it has a lot of "undercut" (low alpha angle) that could be letting you push too hard too. Better to learn to play a lead piece with a high alpha angle like a bobby shew or schilke 13a4a or monette BL2 etc

those wont let you push hard enough to get in the bind you are in.

Doug M
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
OP....
you need to go to a smaller diameter as well as shallower.

If your lips are swelling it cuz you are pressing when you get excited.

I feel a bit of a dolt disagreeing with someone who makes mouthpieces, but...
I disagree. The OP does NOT experience the swelling when playing on his 3 and 7C mouthpieces which are deeper.
If he goes even shallower, it will be WORSE. The fact that he does not experience swelling on deeper cups signifies that his chops are used to blowing much more air than a shallow cup will facilitate. He needs to find something closer to his 3C and 7C.
That's what my experiences and studies have taught me.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to go smaller than a 3C for about 6 months. I tried a 3E and 3D. The 3D was good for awhile, but in the end, I could not keep from bottoming out at the end of a long 6 hour Sunday morning.

I don't use too much pressure, but I do use a fair amount of airflow, I guess. I have more than enough lung capacity to play any phrase that I could sing, if necessary, so I think that is good enough.

As I continue to use free-lip buzzing, I find that I do better in all ranges with a deeper cup. I can use either a CG3 (similar to Bach 3C) or the deeper CG Personal.

I'm not a lead player, but my range is getting better. Endurance is fine for what I do and tone is good.

This is 180 degrees out from most players here, but so be it. I just can't seem to make what they say work for me. I just thought I'd give my own perspective and experience in case your one of the "freaks" like me who isn't like the majority of players.

Brian

p.s. I'm not trying to put anyone down, so no need to flame me. I simply find that I have to play differently than the "smaller is better" crowd to get the best results.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trumpetwinds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have it all backwards my friend, the amatuer guys who use shallows are the ones who can't play high on a regular mouthpiece...I can get a double high C, even a d and eb on my Schilke 13c4 and I can use those notes when I need them. However, I play in a community band and occasionally get called for the orchestra...i don't need those notes all the time, and unless you are just soloing in jazz or recording commercials in a studio, you don't need it either, Wayne has his niche as do most other professional players, I dont play like Wayne and never will, I need a mouthpiece that sounds good playing the Nutcraker or Spoon River or Sailors and Whales or any of a number of other great pieces

hefferson wrote:
Quote:

Wrong. Tell that to Wayne Bergeron. He uses a "shallow" mouthpiece. I wish I could play and sound like he does. He seems to do pretty well....as did Maynard.

There was actually a thread here recently about Warren Vache and how he gets such a warm and full sound (on cornet) using a 10 1/2 C equivalent.

It seems like people that call them cheaters are the people that can't play high. (I used to be one of these people)

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
NIV
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Theory about too shallow of a mouthpiece Reply with quote

Mr. Benge wrote:
So, let's say a guy has played on standard size (3c-7c) mouthpieces his whole life and decides to try something a bit shallower. He finds that it makes the job easier and can play well on it but finds that after extended periods of playing, his lips swell and he has to struggle to finish the night.

I understand wanting to make the job easier for stuff like lead playing, but if it isn't lead playing then I don't see why "he" would need to fool around with a shallow piece.

If this is in fact for lead playing, then I would highly recommend a Curry 60M. This mouthpiece is bright and efficient enough for lead playing, but it has a nice undercut and rim that will keep you from bottoming out due to swollen lips.

Another piece I highly recommend is a Reeves 42M. I like to describe it as a "more efficient 3C." It is shallow enough to get bright without having to blow your brains out, but it also has enough fatness in the tone to be used for other stuff. The only music I wouldn't use this piece for is anything that requires a very orchestral sound.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
trumpetwinds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Theory about too shallow of a mouthpiece Reply with quote

I have no idea what you sound like, but I bet you wouldn't use that shallow mouthpiece in a symphony, i wouldn't...you wouldn't blend well with the group....I guess shallow pieces are fine if you are just doing rock and screaming all night

LeeC wrote:
Mr. Benge wrote:

What we're seeing here is the same as the trumpet player who attempts to double on trombone but soon feels awkward about switching back to the trumpet after playing the low brass instrument.

You need to take each mouthpiece in incremental stages. You wouldn't play trombone the first time and expect to switch right back on the fly to the trumpet on stage would you? I hope not because there's a rude awakening likely if you do.

I play several of the very shallowest mouthpieces available for most my commercial lead trumpet and rock 'n roll stuff. It's pure survival out there when nearly every tune has several High F's in it! When doing more symphonic band material I go a little deeper, but not much for this work.

If you're familiar with this antique stuff here's what i use
Al Cass:

3x6: A "bent dime" for most lead work/rock gigs. Very very shallow!
3x4: Ditto the above music but with some Sousa march type stuff or sectional work in symphonic band. Very shallow.
3x3: in cornet for 80% of symphonic band work and some R&B. Almost a very shallow mouthpiece!
The above mouthpieces all are in the shallow end of the pool. 3x6 being smaller even than the Schilke 6a4A

4-28: A full sized piece for solo symphonic work only. Probably similar to a 3C but much more comfortable. Or when i like to practice. Only rarely used in commercial work.

By being selective with mouthpiece choice I can maintain as much endurance as possible. Even at the end of a very demanding R&B evening i still have enough to get a piece of any note up to High A or so.

And even in symphonic band I still have something in reserve to pull off those really long fortissimo pieces. Or orchestral transcriptions that seem endless. In this later format the larger 4-28 piece is my "cheater". the one needed to get a totally warm sound in solo phrases.

The acoustics of mouthpiece choice are odd. Large mouthpieces can utilize their full tone mostly only in solo phrases when the rest of the band is playing soft. But this is the tone you hear while in practice. Or when you selected the mouthpiece at the music store practice room. You like the tone until you cave in or choke after several charts of demanding first trumpet work.

So when you're covering a whole evening of Sousa marches with no other first cornet player a shallow mouthpiece can really fit the bill. No one will notice. Only comments I've every heard are stuff like: "Hey Lee, where'd ya get those chops? You never stopped playing all night"!

Next:

trumpetwinds wrote:

I'm going to put this post into my "most questionable statement of the year" file

Are you telling moi that I have a ducky, annoying sound? Please feel free to request a link with a sound clip if you want. Then judge ME as you would relative to the statement. Apologies in advance for giving you a hard time.

NIV
trumpetwinds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shallow Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Do you play the same gigs as Maynard?

trmptz wrote:
trumpetwinds wrote:

I firmly diagree!

Bill Chase played a 6a4a which is more shallow than a C cup and his sound was not "tiny and thin"!

What about Maynard, Jon Faddis, Cat Anderson? And the list could go on and on! If these guys "annoy" you then I don't what to tell ya!

NIV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: