• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Spit Valves

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Getzen Spit Valves Reply with quote

I just received an eBay Getzen Capri It has obviously been through the mill, and probably several mills, but plays so beautifully. What a lovely sound. My question...those "funny" looking knobs on the lead pipe, and third valve slide...Are these for draining moisture? And how do they work? There appears to be some sort of nipple on them that one can push, but they're either stuck or that isn't their function. If water keys, can they be repaired? Help.

Norm
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "spit valves" you speak of are amado water keys. It you cannot push the "nipple" towards the inside of the slide then it is probably "frozen" shut. If you want these amado water keys to operate, you will need to take the horn to a repair tech, as taking these little suckers apart is not for the nervous handed, impatient amateur.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Amado Water Keys Reply with quote

Hi, Norm,

And once you get them repaired and working, keep 'em oiled.

I hear there is good reason for this type of water key, but some folks don't like 'em and some do.

I have them on two of my horns and traditional water keys (spit valves on three others. I like 'em, but you have to keep them oiled for them to continue to work.

Best wishes!

lloyd lmf
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll put a couple drops of valve oil in the lead pipe when you oil the valves you shouldn't have to do anything else to keep them well oiled.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BiNaK 495 keeps all my Amato water keys working well...
CornetplayerUK

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned - keep these well maintained. If they get stiff, and don't return to their position after you've pressed them in, you have to use a pin or something to push them back out from the other side! Personally I really dislike them because I had a couple come away from the cornet purely due to the poor build quality of the instrument.
camel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CornetplayerUK wrote:
Be warned - keep these well maintained. If they get stiff, and don't return to their position after you've pressed them in, you have to use a pin or something to push them back out from the other side! Personally I really dislike them because I had a couple come away from the cornet purely due to the poor build quality of the instrument.

And they simply do not empty the instrument completely....
Smokin Joe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have the Amado's removed and replaced with the standard type spring loaded ones. At the repair shop of course.

Joe
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the "reduction in turbulence" advertised by the Amado folks, they are much cheaper to install in the first place, requiring only one solder operation and can be installed as a single unit. Lever type water keys require a nipple and fulcrum be soldered onto the stock, then the lever and spring and pivot must be hand installed as well. It doesn't sound like much but every separate hand installation adds cost. (I'm not certain what an Amado unit itself costs as compared to the parts of most lever systems.)

It is very possible to have the Amados replaced with levers but without factory jigs to line things up would take some added care. A good brass tech should be able to do the work if you have the money. I prefer levers but can live with the Amado if it is already there. Maintenance is really pretty easy provided one ahs a C clip tool and understands that the piston is spring-loaded and can be lost somewhere out there if not contained when removing the clip.
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: amado Reply with quote

I just had an Amado replaced on my daughters Getzen cornet. It costed around 5.00 for the key and 15.00 for the install.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, rolling360. Your post proves the cost factor- more to install than to buy the part. Has anyone ever had the process reversed? I'd be interested in seeing how it compares. I know that just the lever for a student line Bach t-bone is more than $5.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Thanks, rolling360. Your post proves the cost factor- more to install than to buy the part. Has anyone ever had the process reversed? I'd be interested in seeing how it compares. I know that just the lever for a student line Bach t-bone is more than $5.

I know a couple folks who have had their Amatos removed and replaced with a regular water key. More though, I see people removing an Amato and replacing with a Saturn water key. The saturn is popular amongst some.

Amazing, I've had Amatos on most of my horns for a LONG, LONG TIME and never had problems. A little personal maintenance, and they are fine. Most people who have trouble with Amato water keys neglect them.

Al
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="camel]
And they simply do not empty the instrument completely....[/quote]

And I thought it was just me that had trouble getting 'em to drain properly.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a horn that had them, but I personally think Saturn water keys look ridiculous. Maybe when I was in Jr. High......
Steve Allison
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come now guys. We can't admit to spitting into our horns. Isn't that merely condensation?
The Amandos on my Lawler work better then the old fashioned "water keys" as far as emptying the horn. They will get stuck if you don't maintain them however.
RR
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
I have never had a horn that had them, but I personally think Saturn water keys look ridiculous. Maybe when I was in Jr. High......
Steve Allison

While I've never applied them to any of my instruments, there are certain situations where I can see their value. Having tried a couple, they are (IMHO) less easy to use than an Amato. Of course, I like my Amatos, so...

Al Lilly
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, I have come to dislike Amado keys,...they seem like a good idea at first but any prolomged use shows up inherent weakness in the design.

Saturn keys are a MASSIVE improvement over other water key designs.

Jason Harrelson is known to be working on a water key design so this will be interesting to see.

To clean Amados, take a amall phillips screw driver and 'unclip' the small circlip from the back of the fitting keeping your thumb partly over the circlip to prevent loss....remove circlip and back plate,...puch out plunger from other side........clean plunger of calcium deposits, replace and oil.
BKC

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep the C clip from flying away and landing who knows where,
do the removal operation inside a big zip-lock type plastic
bag. Being clear, you can see what you are doing and if the clip
pops out, it will be inside the bag.
This sounds like Heloise.
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the Amados and have them on my Benge Bb and the C7. When I get the Benge C refurbished I will have an Amado installed instead of the lever that it now has. A drop of valve oil once a week keeps them moving freely. They don't seem to empty as well as the levers, which strikes me as odd. But, I have found that blowing more gently seems to help the matter.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
gchun

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKC-

Good idea about using a plastic bag to catch those airbourne c-clips!!! I've sent a few flying across the room in my day!!

Garry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: