• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback Player: Troubles with double buzz, silent notes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hum82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Comeback Player: Troubles with double buzz, silent notes... Reply with quote

Hi all,

this is my first forum post and I am not a native English speaker (I am from Finland) nor familiar with all the music theory terms in English, so please forgive me if I cannot describe myself with the "global" terms. But I am engineer, so I will do my best to be short enough with descriptions and paragraph lengths:)

Background (1992-2001):
I was somewhat a "serious" trumpet student, taking regular lessons, being part of several "march" bands, big bands etc., considered even the possibility of continuing and practicing to move on from being a hobbyist to a professional.

Finnish Military Forces (2001-2002):
Do I need to tell more? Not so much playing, but hey, now I am a "lieutenant" and may be some people will salute me if they need to

Studying In the College and starting working career (2002- 2009):
Mostly quiet periods in playing. Some gigs with one marching band, mostly started to "get in shape" for 2 weeks before the gig. Struggling...

Quiet Period (2009-2019):
Total Silence. Not a single tone from the trumpet. Didn't even want to hear others playing.

Re-incarnation (09/2019- TILL I DIE):
Felt like **** when I took the horn and tried to blow any tone from it. But, gradually it started to feel better and better. Most importantly: I AM WILLING TO PLAY AND HERE OTHERS PLAYING IT!

Ok, I thought I said I am engineer and would try to be precise with my problems, and here I am telling how good I feel about starting to play again, so let's go to the problems section:

Problems:
I have observed to have an "airy" sound, which bothers me a lot.
From Register point of view the comfortable upper range has been settled to A above staff C (sorry, these terms the are ones I am struggling with). I can play F above high C when doing ascending scales from the bottom, but I would not consider that being an achievement of any kind.

To get rid of the airy sound I have started doing my practicing with less volume (softly), but for some reason I found that my embouchure gets me more "stiff" and I have started to experience more and more double buzzes in the notes above staff C (actually not with notes in the "high register").

To be more precise: I think my sound in low or middle register is now "easier" to produce with soft volume, but for some reason I feel stiff.

Due to the "Covid-19" situation there is a limited possibility to go a teacher, so I thought, may be one of the forum members might have experienced same issues, or seen similar issues with other players and could give some guidance with my problems.

Thanks for everyone who continued reading till the end
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a big relaxed breathe, no tension, exhale through the mouthpiece. Take another breathe, think the letter "m", exhale without forcing. Always think "m" before playing.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That airy sound is often a result of the lips being too far apart but for me, it usually means that I am using too much pressure, especially as I tire.

You might get some benefit from the following exercises. Do one at a time and concentrate on a pure air flow. Play as smoothly and connected as you can.

http://www.gregwingtrumpet.com/uploads/2/1/4/0/21407028/chicowitz_flow_studies.pdf

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: