• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who is the best collegiate trumpet teacher in the country

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should ask the OP if seven years later he made the right decision. Thread started in 2007. I'll bet he has some insights now.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jf26

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Collegiate trumpet teacher Reply with quote

Dr. Randy Grabowski from the University of Northern Iowa is a phenomenal teacher, trumpet player, musician, and person.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VM Trumpet wrote:
I think the most ideal ways to quantify "best" in this topic is by how many students they turn out that get jobs fairly quickly after leaving the university/conservatory (this pertains to the orchestral student).

There's another school of thought that affects this criteria, though, and that's that many successful teachers (success being defined in paragraph 1) are highly selective in who they take and that these new students are already fully-developed players.

Meaning, you don't always know from that criteria how well this teacher handles lesser players, and for most students, they will become teachers of (exaggerating here, now) whoever walks through the door. So they need teaching from someone who can take problematic students and develop them, as well.

(This is not to dismiss the criteria in para. 1 but just something to keep in mind.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
m3auer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald Romm is at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. If you don't know the name he was a founding member of Canadian Brass. I had the chance to work with him over the summer a bit and he had a ton of insightful and constructive things to say.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m3auer wrote:
Ronald Romm is at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. If you don't know the name he was a founding member of Canadian Brass.

Here's some off-topic nitpicking on a zombie thread... the founding trumpet players in the Canadian Brass were Stuart Laughton and Bill Phillips.
m3auer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
m3auer wrote:
Ronald Romm is at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. If you don't know the name he was a founding member of Canadian Brass.

Here's some off-topic nitpicking on a zombie thread... the founding trumpet players in the Canadian Brass were Stuart Laughton and Bill Phillips.
Yes you're corrext. I made a mistake in my post. He came shortly after the group was formed.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Who is the best collegiate trumpet teacher in the country? Reply with quote

My experience with auditioning and choosing a school goes back 50 years but the memories are still crystal clear. I auditioned at 3 state universities and a small private college pretty close to home. Each experience was different and positive in its own way but the largest state u. was more of a production line i.e. they had lots and lots of prospects and you could either get there, get down to work, or get gone. The small private college was very interested in me personally as well as letting me develop. The last state university I auditioned at was really by chance. Admissions to the u. were already closed when I sent my paper work in so sometime around april my senior year I get a phone call from one of my school mates that was principle trumpet there asking if I was still interested in auditioning. So, my parents took me to audition and the whole experience was over the top positive. I had been told by one professor at the other state u. that I had a "fatal" embouchure problem that would require a year or two to correct or I "might as well" take up french horn. When I auditioned there was a wednesday after a tuesday night basketball game where I got a swollen lip.
I did the whole audition, they seemed pleased, save the comments at the end and I was accepted, too. At the last place I played for one of the trumpet teachers, and the trombone teacher. Then they had me go through the usual scales, arban studies, etc. I told them what they had said at the other school and said I was workng on the problem. The trumpet teacher just said, you don't really have that problem and when we are done I can tell ya a couple things to do in practice that will help you center the embouchure. They then had me exit and asked my parents in to his studio where they said, "we can't have this young man get lost at OSU." He was right. My experience is go where you feel that teacher or teachers is vitally interested in your progress and growth in music. The vast majority are and they have the reputation as great teachers because that is their goal for each student indivitually. The teacher I studied was Eastman educated and wonderful, both as a teacher and a man. He never talked about growing and progressing on the instrument as being "a problem." Find people like that and you will never regret attending any college or university. By the way, these year after this topic was started all those people mentioned are still wonderful teachers preparing many for fulfilling careers in music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: