• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to practice??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have tried many different ways of practicing. At first I did't practice at all, but during the last 3 out of 4 of my trumpet playing years I have become obsessed with becoming better. I am not very satisfied with my current playin ability. Everyone at school is awed, but I think there is A LOT of improving to do. I really need to work on endurance. Its not terrible, but it ain't that great. I can usually nail a Bb at the end of a football game. I would like to know a good way to practice. My current range is second Pedal C to Dubble G. I have great technique, power, and tone(for a 13 year old). What I am getting at is, how should I practice?? I have tried Quad. C's reccomendation of practicing 30 minutes and resting an hour. I used to play an hour rest an hour. My band director attended a siminar Saturday and Duke Ellington's Lead trumpeter was there. He said that he would practice 15 mins, rest 15 mins, practice15 mins..... What is the best way to practice?? I don't want to underpractice, but I don't wanna overpractice either. Could yall please give me some advice on how to practice??
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-15 19:34 ]
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Quad C,
Thanks for the compiments. I would like to know how to get Caruso's six note study. I have heard a lot about it and would like to give it a try. Can you tell me where I could find it??
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can admire your dedication and committment at such a young age (what is it, 13?). Sounds a bit like you're a little tough on yourself. Be satisfied that you're getting one heck of a headstart on your generation of musicians and just enjoy things. Keep doing what you're doing in regards to the studying and practicing. But there's nothing like having a bunch of years under your belt to give you great perspective and confidence. It'll happen. When it really matters, you'll have it. Sometimes patience is the greatest virtue a musician can have.

John C.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Gosh, proper practice is SO important! For me that means to enjoy practice (whatever that means to you!!!!!!!)

Make your practice times enjoyable and you will embark on a lifetime love affair with the trumpet.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-15 19:35 ]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following site has some Caruso exercises including the Six Notes.

http://www-it.hive.no/oj/musikk/trompet/artist/friedrich/seminar/caruso.html

Most important, follow directions closely. The instructions are fairly accurate EXCEPT for the direction to relax pressure between intervals on the Seconds while breathing. Pressure should be maintained throughout the breathing activity. This can be substantiated by getting the book "Musical Calisthenics For Brass" by Carmine Caruso, plus the instructions will be better stated. But the above site is pretty good for free!

CR
Tdfights

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to practice is to ENJOY the practice. That way you will do it more. Whatever you practice, don't ever let yourself get bored with it.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: How to Practice? Reply with quote

If you are younger and just finding your way, congratulatons for asking an important question early. There are four things that learning any skill information can entail. 1. it needs to be specific. 2. it needs to be progressive
3. it needs to be measurable 4. it needs to be attainable. This applies training in a weight room. On an athletic field. in a classroom and much much in music. You could and should sit with your instructor or someone good in high school about setting a basic practice schedule. Warm ups, studies, etudes, cool downs, etc. Then you need to realize that most method books and such are designed to become more difficult (progressive). In athletic training this is referred to as applying the "overload principle". Next you need to measure whether you or you and your instructor feel you have achieved enough on a study, solo, whatever. Music is subjective in its measurement most of the time. Last, what you practice short and long term needs to be attainable. A good instructor will know when to back you away from studies that you aren't ready for and move you along when you are ready for a new challenge. Someone else commented that "fun" is very important and I agree. As you grow change up your routine a little to make practice fun. Use the best resources at your school. Older students that are now taking lessons could be invaluable. Most of all Best of Luck and enjoyment. Playing the trumpet is just a gas.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fantastic you are reaching out and seeking more knowledge, help and a way to improve your playing. Already you are ahead in the game and this is putting you in a good place for your future.

There is far, far more to practice than how long and pacing. There is what, when, in what way, etc. etc. I have students who are obsessed with sight reading, high register, not making mistakes, others who literally do not think at all, and all are so different there is no one solution I can give them. I craft individual solutions, programs of work... etc.

This is the same in this forum - there is a ton of advice, yet not one of us have heard you play. The very best advice you will get is from a GOOD trumpet teacher who is hearing you play. Unless your band director is trumpet player themselves, they are not that person, regardless of their obvious ability to inspire you to get to this point.

That's the long way of saying get a teacher. Do whatever (legally) to get one. If you get the right person, you won't regret it, it will be a treasure for the rest of your life.

cheers

Andy
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how it worked out for the OP. He'd be 29 or 30 by now.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:

Final post was in 2003 at age 15. I bet he gave up and will reemerge in 2025 as a comebacker.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
JoseLindE4 wrote:

Final post was in 2003 at age 15. I bet he gave up and will reemerge in 2025 as a comebacker.

This site needs a “like” button.

Brad
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site needs a “like” button.

Brad[/quote]

EXACTLY RIGHT
fijimorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For endurance, make sure you drink plenty of water. It flushes out the lactic acid in the muscles and increases elasticity.

For how to practice, read the Talent Code by Daniel Coyle. Bobby Shew told me about it and completely changed everything about how to practice. But yes, rest as much as you play.
Harryw413

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try recording your entire practice session and listening back to it
helsinkiscott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]For how to practice, read the Talent Code by Daniel Coyle. Bobby Shew told me about it and completely changed everything about how to practice. But yes, rest as much as you play.[/quote]

That was a great book. Changed the way I understand learning and practicing. Highly recommended!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: