• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Chicago school and improvisation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhattyRoses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would someone go about learning to improvise using the "Chicago school" concepts. Sound is a big part of the learning process when it comes to other aspects of musicality and playing, but how would one go about learning improvisation. Solfege is often mentioned with the chicago school, would this be a big part in getting your ears "open." Any thoughts?

Rich Hanks
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-21 11:52, PhattyRoses wrote:
How would someone go about learning to improvise using the "Chicago school" concepts. Sound is a big part of the learning process when it comes to other aspects of musicality and playing, but how would one go about learning improvisation. Solfege is often mentioned with the chicago school, would this be a big part in getting your ears "open." Any thoughts?

Rich Hanks

Hello Rich,

Musta' missed this. For improv, there's LOTS of info in the Jazz Forum which is very good. Much of it involves transcribing, singing, and other ear training. A shock, no doubt! Getting the song in your mind is just as important, if not more, so, when playing jazz. In addition to yourself, you've got to be able to hear the changes and recognize 'em for what they are. (It's OK to get outside 'em for a little bit, but not for too long -- trust me on this! ) I guess I'd be more inclined to ask "how could you learn improvisation (in any genre) without being able to hear the song (pitches, etc.)?" Now I'll offer a few suggestions, pretty randomized (my mind is chaotic this early):

Pick a CD you like and play along -- good ear training! Of course, it helps to learn some theory, and the Chicago school certainly says nothing about that being bad (most of the top players know tons of it).

As for solfege, I can't say I'm great (or even good) at it, but it can certainly help. Try singing a little ditty, then playing it. This'll help get a song in your mind, and help learn how to play it (not just the notes, which can be tough enough initially, but to play it like you sang/heard it -- think about how you want to sound when singing and match it while playing).

To learn it, you've got to be able to sing it (if only in your mind). Part of that is learning what sounds good, and buildng up a "vocabulary" of sounds/licks. So, treat yourself to a few good CDs of players/styles you'd like to learn, and play along. Nothing like learning by example! And, it's one more way to get a sound model to follow, as you begin building "your" sound model (the one in your head that you'll be playing with).

I'll stop before getting to chaotic (probably too late already) and see what some others post. Pat Harbison will hopefully chime in here as well, and some of the "real" players on TH.

Toodles! - Don
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booker Little has been mentioned here lately. He sounded like he might have been "Chicago School".
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booker was definitely Chicago schooled. His son is a bellman at a hotel up in Evanston. We had a nice chat about his dad a few years ago when I stayed up there.

To me the basic approach of the Chicago School is the way jazz musicians have always learned and played, especially PJE (Pre-Jazz Education). One listens in depth to their mentors, both live and on recording. You learn to sing your way through the entire jazz tradition via listening. You pick up the horn and get to work on making it sound like what you hear. Technique develops naturally via listening and imitating the masters.

Jazz recordings are the best (and most patient) teachers. Jazz method books, play-alongs, etc. are enhancements that can provide shortcuts and reinforcement. The real learning comes from listening and learning and via doing.

What could be more "Chicago" than that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: