• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lawler Ps1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skuni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Lawler Ps1 Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this new horn from Roy Lawler?
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy has sent the first one to the platers. Try PMing "tradeoff" here on TH. He has talked about the horn extensively to Roy. Allegedly, it is one of Roy's darkest (to use an over-worked word) sounding horns that Roy has made.
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy told me he designed this model based on many requests for something more appropriately played in church,etc. I have heard also that it is darker, and has a larger wrap than some of his current models. He is planning to send a large bore version for me to try (462 I think) He was waiting for the stencil to do the engraving when I last spoke to him.
Terry
tpttune

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote: "Roy has sent the first one to the platers."

That's probably my horn! It will be polished Gold Plate! Hope to get it back in 3 weeks or so; Roy e-mailed me yesterday that it was prepped and on it's way to the platers. When Roy gets his info up on his site soon, I hope that it will show my horn in raw brass.

I've been playing a gold plated C7 that I bought used a few months ago. Around the 3rd week of June I called Roy asking what he would recommend for a "companion horn" to my C7, which I love, something with a more Bach-like tone quality. He suggested I consider a new model he was bringing out. He said in so many words that people were asking for a horn for large church orchesras where you would have to compete with a lot of amplified intruments. The new model, as yet unnamed, would have a goldbrass bell and a more open wrap for resonance considerations. Well, I talked myself into ordering one!

So, it arrived around the middle of July. Played it about 5-6 days at home and in a community band rehearsal, and in two performances for the band and a Dixie group. Wow! Came to really love that horn. Had a couple of friends over to play it, one of whom loves his Wild Thing and has the skill and range to appreciate that horn! He took my new Lawler up to an A above high C. In "blind listening tests" of the Ps1, Wild Thing, C7, TL6-1A, I found the Ps1 and the Wild Thing to sound very similar. Both friends really liked the Ps1 horn. What we heard was a big, rich, radiating sound with a lot of overtones. I've found the horn to blend easily at moderate dynamics and to really project well when you step on the gas. Also, I like the "player feedback" behind the horn.

On my horn, the venturi is 0.340". In discussing my needs with Roy, He suggested the small 0.340" venturi on the new horn since the C7 I like has that venturi. Now, a "heavy hitter" will probably want a venturi a bit larger, 0.345 or so. My horn gives me the support for endurance and range that I like. In my mid-sixties now, I'm learning to appreciate "easy"!

I'm willing to predict that this new Lawler Ps1 model will be in demand and maybe rival the interest that was shown to the C7 when it initially came out!

I'm at what I hope is the end of a long "trumpet safari". Owned and played Early Elkhart Bachs, Olds Super Recording, Olds Recordings, Olds Super, Flip Oakes Wild Thing, Callet Jazzes, various Kanstul horns, Lawler C7s, Lawler TL6-1A, and a host of other horns, quite a few that I wish I could have kept if my pockets had been deep enough! I'm looking forward, hoping this Lawler Ps1 will be "the keeper" along with my C7!
skuni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be looking at this horn!
etorres16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So TPTTUNE.........

Since I believe...(I could be wrong).....your selling your C7 on Ebay.....I'm assuming the PS1 fit the bill for your only horn....and ended your Safari.

True?

Anyone else have comments about the PS1??
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: re:ps1 Reply with quote

I am waiting for a lb ps1 -should be in a week or 2. Roy recently sold one to the jazz player in one of the dc service big bands -airmen I think. He said the improvement in this guy's sound and articulation was incredible.
He also has to play the lead part here and there and this horn apparently works well for this too. I am interested in it for church playing mainly but will likely also try it in the big band. As far as the safari -I don't think it ever ends....
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you guys who are getting the Ps1 will give a good review after receiving the horn and playing it for a few weeks.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
gillie89
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures are up! Check out the diagonal brace.

http://www.lawlertrumpets.com/lawlerps1.html

G
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget why Roy puts Ps1 on ALL his horns. Stands for as he says, "Psalm One, read your Bible"
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrys17 wrote:
Roy told me he designed this model based on many requests for something more appropriately played in church,etc. I have heard also that it is darker, and has a larger wrap than some of his current models.

There's nothing wrong with "darker" sounding trumpets, in fact, my Concept TT has that sort of sound and I like it in many situations. I just wonder why so many people seem to want darker trumpets, particularly for in church. To my ear, a brilliant trumpet with rich mid and upper overtones is what works best in church. The organ and other members of the orchestra have the bottom well covered. Shouldn't the trumpet sound soar out over all that??

OK, for certain solos, I'd want to go darker, but most of the orchestra stuff in church I want brilliance with easy projection.

Dave

Last edited by _dcstep on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right Dave....We had a long run of "screeching sopranos" ....well....they were lovely really...but they were able to soar above everything. Fortunately we now have a better balance.

I have taken to playing a "brighter" horn for the very reasons you suggest. Having said that...I really do wish Roy well with his new horn.

Walter
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having played the Ps1, I can only assume by what has been posted that we are using the term "dark" as meaning quiet or mellow and not "cutting through". The posts by terry17 about the guy in DC playing in the Airmen of Note and even doing some lead playing with his and tpttune saying that it compared in sound with the Wild Thing leads me to believe that mellow and subdued do not describe the Ps1. I would like to here more from tpttune if his is back from plating.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Ps1 is very appealing to me, at least to check out. I have a somewhat bright C7, and a brighter King Liberty and Burbank Benge. I am looking for something on the darker side and the Ps1 sounds like it may be the horn I am looking for. For some church pieces I play I use my cornet to get a darker sound, and then switch to the C7 or Benge when things need to be on the bright side.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: ps1 and other Lawler models Reply with quote

Roy's feeling is that the rose brass bell and leadpipe is a big factor in this sound. I assume he is also using a faster bell taper as well. My ps1 is being assembled as of today, so I expect to have it in 1-2 weeks. I will then have a ps1 (lb); c7(ml), star (ml), and lawler flugel. Anyone interested in trying these models can contact me through pm -I am located near Poughkeepsie, NY. Also, I can get additional models from Roy with some advance notice.
br
Terry
tpttune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Lawler Ps1 Reply with quote

etorres16 wrote "So TPTTUNE........"
I apologize for not getting back sooner. Yes, the C7 on eBay is mine, and, yes, that means the Ps1 fits the bill for my only horn, but I am going to look for a second, back-up horn for those awful situations that blows similar to a conventional bore horn. I've experienced some difficulty in switching back and forth from the step-bore C7 and the conventional bore Ps1. I know some of you would not have this problem, but it does bother me. That takes nothing away from the C7 - it's a great horn.

The Ps1 is a keeper! And the 3rd and 4th Ps1 photos on Roy's web-site are of my horn, I think.

As far as a trumpet for church music, the horn is so versatile that I think it would work for most applications. The Ps1 can be warm, mellow, dark or powered up for bright and bossy. Choice of approach and mouthpiece will be important of course. Not being a lead player, my next statement won't carry much weight. I think with the right mouthpiece and approach the Ps1 could very well serve for lead.

The 2nd brace adds weight and affects resonance, Roy says. He also said he had a player in the shop play a Ps1 with and without the 2nd brace and the player decided not to have the 2nd brace.

My horn has the small venturi of 0.340". I believe it makes the horn more manageable for me. Again, Roy had a player play my horn as is and then with a 0.345 pipe strapped on and the player liked the 0.345 venturi better. Different players, differing needs...

The bell has a slower taper out of the bell tail and around the bow and then tapers faster after that. Apparently this makes the upper register more secure; don't know if that is the right choice of words...

You owe it to yourself to try a Ps1 if you get the chance! I'm happy with mine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: