• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wrights silver polish on brass?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaseFan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Wrights silver polish on brass? Reply with quote

Wrights metal polish comes in versions for silver, copper, brass, but our local stores only carry the silver version. Will it hurt a raw brass trumpet to use Wrights silver polish on it one time during restoration? The raw brass is badly tarnished to the point that the brass looks rusted red rather than just tarnished, although the rust-like red is superficial. So I was thinking about using Wrights silver cream and lots of elbow grease, unless the Wrights silver polish contains some chemical that will harm the brass, or is it too abrasive for the brass.

Dean
ChaseFan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrights silver polish on brass? Reply with quote

ChaseFan wrote:
Wrights metal polish comes in versions for silver, copper, brass, but our local stores only carry the silver version. Will it hurt a raw brass trumpet to use Wrights silver polish on it one time during restoration? The raw brass is badly tarnished to the point that the brass looks rusted red rather than just tarnished, although the rust-like red is superficial. So I was thinking about using Wrights silver cream and lots of elbow grease, unless the Wrights silver polish contains some chemical that will harm the brass, or is it too abrasive for the brass.

Dean

The store also has "Maas" multi-metal polish but it is 4 or 5 times more expensive per ounce than Wrights.

Dean
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Wright's own website indicates silver cream and brass polish. It gives a question and an answer:

How should I polish lacquered brass?

Lacquer is a clear coating applied to some brass items–such as bathroom fixtures–to minimize upkeep. If the piece remains bright and shiny over time, it is probably lacquered and only requires cleaning with a damp cloth. If the piece darkens over time, it probably is not lacquered and can be polished using Wright’s Brass Polish. Even if a piece is lacquered, the lacquers break down eventually, requiring you to remove the remaining lacquer. Try Wright’s Brass Polish to remove it. If this doesn’t work, try boiling the piece in water first, then polishing it with Wright’s Brass Polish. Note that the brass under the lacquer may only be a thin plating over a base metal; removing the lacquer may also remove the brass layer, so proceed with caution.

You may have to contact the firm to ask about silver creme vs. brass polish being used.

www.jawright.com/polishing/default.asp

You could email the firm directly with a specific question as to your proposed application with ANY OF ITS PRODUCTS, but I would suspect you may receive a disclaimer:

weimancustomerservice@weiman.com

Best wishes!

Lloyd
ChaseFan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmf wrote:
Hi,

Wright's own website indicates silver cream and brass polish. It gives a question and an answer:

How should I polish lacquered brass?

Lacquer is a clear coating applied to some brass items–such as bathroom fixtures–to minimize upkeep. If the piece remains bright and shiny over time, it is probably lacquered and only requires cleaning with a damp cloth. If the piece darkens over time, it probably is not lacquered and can be polished using Wright’s Brass Polish. Even if a piece is lacquered, the lacquers break down eventually, requiring you to remove the remaining lacquer. Try Wright’s Brass Polish to remove it. If this doesn’t work, try boiling the piece in water first, then polishing it with Wright’s Brass Polish. Note that the brass under the lacquer may only be a thin plating over a base metal; removing the lacquer may also remove the brass layer, so proceed with caution.

You may have to contact the firm to ask about silver creme vs. brass polish being used.

www.jawright.com/polishing/default.asp

You could email the firm directly with a specific question as to your proposed application with ANY OF ITS PRODUCTS, but I would suspect you may receive a disclaimer:

weimancustomerservice@weiman.com

Best wishes!

Lloyd

Using the Web site you sent me to, I emailed the company asking if it is OK to use Wrights Silver Polish on a bare brass trumpet. Here is what they answered.

"The Silver Cream would be safe to use the trumpet, but may not be
extremely effective. It is a very light grit, and may not be powerful
enough to remove all of the tarnish. You can try it, because it won't
hurt it, but if you do not see the results you were expecting, we
recommend using the Weiman Brass/Copper Cream. This would be a more powerful cleaner."

So if you are doing a first-time restoration of a badly tarnished bare brass trumpet, then it would be better to use Wrights Copper or Brass Polish with its stronger grit.
But if you are just doing a yearly repolishing of a bare brass trumpet that has already been restored, then the finer grit Wrights Silver Polish would probably do just great.

Dean
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dean,

Great news! At least the firm gave needed advice that was helpful.

Sounds like you are on the right path.

Best wishes!

Lloyd
upoils
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Wrights silver polish on my Monette raw brass horn, about once a year. It does take some elbow grease but is still effective. Certainly won't hurt the brass. The brass polish has a chemical reaction with the brass oxidation and a lot of it comes off immediately without hardly any rubbing. With either brass or silver polish, make sure to follow up with a thorough cleaning with brushes/snake in hot, soapy water, and plenty of clear water to rinse (I use the bath faucet). Copper polish is definitely harder to rinse than silver polish and you don't want any residue getting into the valve casings.

Oh -- and clean the sink/tub and counter -- polishing makes a mess.
ken "at" ultrapureoils.com
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, upoils,

After listening to your experience, I quickly realized that I'll stick with silverplate or lacquer. LOL

I won't sound as good as you do, but I won't have to be cleaning the bathtub.

Best wishes!

Lloyd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: