• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sterling Brass (British) Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beakj01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Sterling Brass (British) Cornet Reply with quote

Anyone out there have first-hand playing experience with the Sterling Brass Virtuoso model Bb cornet? ...or hear any coments from a player about their characteristics?

I've done a TH search but there is hardly a mention. I've read what is said on their website but would like to hear something that might be a little more objective.

Perhaps some of our Cornet TH posters from the UK will have information.

Thanks.

Jim
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You might want to ask the same question to those in the UK on:

http://www.brass-forum.co.uk/

You will undoubtedly receive information from othersr on TH, but also from the above site should you choose to go there.

You also reviewed the Sterling website which gives ample information:

http://www.sterlingbrass.co.uk/

Best wishes!

Lloyd

Last edited by lmf on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
lpennel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the opportunity to play several Sterling Cornets and in fact almost bought one in the UK last summer when visiting. The medium bores that I have played feel very much like a medium besson. They have the same pitch tendencies, however, I feel that they have a little warmer sound than the Bessons. The large bore Sterling is one of the best horns that I have played. I play British Brass Band and all the Sterlings are suited to that genre. My buddy who has the older Sterling large bore has his for sale and I would buy it, however, I just bought the new Xeno and like that also. Email Bill at:

billb3450@qwest.net

if you would like more info, I believe that he has 3 Sterlings.

Good horns, especially the older ones. They made an Eflat in the early 80's that was awesome. Hope this helps. If you would like more information email me at:
lpenneljr!@msn.com

Larry
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Yamaha 610 Flugelhorn
Xeno 8335RGS
1951 Olds Studio Model
Yamaha E flat Cornet

RockyMountainbrassworks.com
beakj01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lloyd, thanks Larry. Most helpful ... especially the UK link.

Jim
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Ita just got one of these horns in, and he brought it to Georgia Brass Band rehearsal last week (he plays rep. for us). I got to blow on it for quite a while, and I must say that I was impressed...I like it much better than the Sovereigns that the band owns. More secure slotting, and intonation was improved. A sweetheart of a horn in all respects! If I hadn't just lost my day job, I'd probably own it, but right now, paying the mortgage takes priority.

The horn is technically used, but in new condition. Rich picked it up from a cornet player in Sweden who needed some quick cash, so the selling price will be significantly less than the street price for a new one if anyone is interested.

Rich's website is down at the moment, but you can reach him at 770-565-9949 or richita1@earthlink.net if interested.

Paul Poovey
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AverageJoe wrote:
....Rich Ita just got one of these horns in, and he brought it to Georgia Brass Band rehearsal last week (he plays rep. for us)....

Off topic comment - Paul, I heard a recording of your brass band made at the 2006 NABBA competition. Awesome sound and execution. Hopefully, our brass band will be that good someday....we're working on it
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
AverageJoe wrote:
....Rich Ita just got one of these horns in, and he brought it to Georgia Brass Band rehearsal last week (he plays rep. for us)....

Off topic comment - Paul, I heard a recording of your brass band made at the 2006 NABBA competition. Awesome sound and execution. Hopefully, our brass band will be that good someday....we're working on it

Thanks, Dale...competing at NABBA has been such a great thing for our band! Will Huntsville be making the trek in '08? I heard you all at the Ellsworth Smith competition several years ago with Phil Smith and James Watson...terrific job that night!

Paul
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complement. Playing with those two legends was an honor and terrifying at the same time. I don't know if we're ready for NABBA yet - you know, when we enter, we want to win.........

Seriously, we're discussing applying for participation in some events such as NABBA and GABBF in the next few years. It should be fun.
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sterling Brass (British) Cornet Reply with quote

beakj01 wrote:
Anyone out there have first-hand playing experience with the Sterling Brass Virtuoso model Bb cornet? ...or hear any coments from a player about their characteristics?

I've done a TH search but there is hardly a mention. I've read what is said on their website but would like to hear something that might be a little more objective.

Perhaps some of our Cornet TH posters from the UK will have information.

Thanks.

Jim

I own one I bought used at about 1/3 new price. The only frame of reference is a Besson World emblem cornet. It's a nice sounding and nice feeling cornet. It feels very secure. I have played in brass choir and Orchestra. I recently performed the Mahler post horn solo with it. The thumb trigger has the ability to correct the intonation in all registers; Kind of Handy in the upper register, but touchy. I would not spend 2000 lb on it however. I would try many different kinds before spending that. I am happy with it and it is a keeper. But I only play on cornets part time.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: