• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpieces - trumpet vs cornet vs flugelhorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conn-oisseur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: mouthpieces - trumpet vs cornet vs flugelhorn Reply with quote

Someone here mentioned flugelhorn mouthpieces in a thread about cornet mouthpieces, but I have never held or played a flugelhorn.
And in another Web site someone said he is using a flugelhorn mouthpiece on a cornet.

What is the difference in mouthpieces for trumpet, cornet, and flugelhorn?
(length, shank diameter, taper, etc)

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."
John 14:6
Conn-oisseur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: mouthpieces - trumpet vs cornet vs flugelhorn Reply with quote

Conn-oisseur wrote:
Someone here mentioned flugelhorn mouthpieces in a thread about cornet mouthpieces, but I have never held or played a flugelhorn.
And in another Web site someone said he is using a flugelhorn mouthpiece on a cornet.

What is the difference in mouthpieces for trumpet, cornet, and flugelhorn?
(length, shank diameter, taper, etc)

In the last hour I found the following information from
http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/ConnArticle34.html
and from
http://accessories.conn-selmer.com/pdf/bachmouth.pdf

It would appear that a flugelhorn mouthpiece is somewhere between a trumpet mouthpiece and a cornet mouthpiece in all its dimensions?

I would appreciate it if anyone could correct anything I might have wrong.

----------------------------------

*** Trumpet ***

3.5 inches long (or 3 and 7/16 inches long?)

.382” shank diameter at end

for receiver opening of .432”

taper is .050" per inch

*** Cornet ***

2.75 inches long

.341” shank diameter at end

for receiver opening of .385”

taper is .050" per inch

*** Short-shank Cornet ***

2.5 inches long

.341” shank diameter at end

for receiver opening of .388”

taper is .060" per inch

*** Flugelhorn ***

2 and 7/8 inches long

.355” shank diameter at end

for receiver opening of .405”

taper is .050" per inch

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."
Conn-oisseur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: mouthpieces - trumpet vs cornet vs flugelhorn Reply with quote

Can someone please define the following terms for me?
And are there any other types of taper to add to the list?

Large Morse taper = ? per inch
Small Morse taper = ? per inch
Remington taper = ? per inch
French taper = ? per inch?

*the unexplained reference to large Morse taper versus small Morse taper can be found at the bottom of the page at
http://www.kanstul.net/mpcJN/Model.shtml
and at
http://www.kanstul.net/pages/faq.html

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: mouthpieces - trumpet vs cornet vs flugelhorn Reply with quote

Conn-oisseur wrote:

*the unexplained reference to large Morse taper versus small Morse taper can be found at the bottom of the page at
and at

Actually,

All these questions are answered right here, in this forum . . . and many times repeated too!

Do a "Search" of this sub-forum and you'll find it all . . . plus a whole lot more good information.

One could spend a lot of fun days simply browsing in the archives.

T.
Conn-oisseur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: mouthpieces - trumpet vs cornet vs flugelhorn Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
Conn-oisseur wrote:

and at

Actually,

All these questions are answered right here, in this forum . . . and many times repeated too!

Do a "Search" of this sub-forum and you'll find it all . . . plus a whole lot more good information.

One could spend a lot of fun days simply browsing in the archives.

T.

Because the Trumpet Herald forum search function is awkward and limited, I did a Google search for the terms "small Morse" "large morse" "trumpetherald" "inch" before I posted the question here.
The search did not give me the per inch measurements for such I was looking for.
I also did a Google search for "Remington" "taper" "trumpetherald" "inch" before I posted the question here.
The search did not give me the per inch measurements for such I was looking for.
So I wasn't being lazy in posting the question here.
As you can see above in this thread, I *have* been busy trying to find the answers on my own.

Nevertheless, in case the Google search of Trumpet Herald was missing something that Trumpet Herald's own search engine might find, I just now used this forum's search engine to look for "Remington AND taper AND inch" and it did not give me the per inch measurement I was looking for.
Then I used this forum's search engine to look for "'small Morse' AND taper AND inch" and it did not give me the per inch measurement I was looking for.

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flugelhorn mouthpiece shank size is somewhere between a trumpet and cornet shank. There are different "standard" shank sizes/tapers, as you have discovered. The cup on a proper flugel piece is extremely deep and funnel-shaped. The backbore is usually so different form a cornet piece that one should not be used on a cornet, even if the shank fits (such as the L.A. Olds cornets). The intonation will generally be out of whack. I played a Bach flugel piece (5BFL) on an Olds Ambassador cornet for a while - beautiful sound, but the intonation was terrible.
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a trumpet length flugel piece?

Had to throw that in.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a flugel horn anyway?

Just teasing!

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Asian Man
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of wish the Flugel was called a Soprano Tuba, as in being in the Tuba family. Bugles...
It would really look like one if someone just turned the bell upright, bent the leadpipe, and kept the valves vertical. Assuming if you have vertical valves, it would look very similar to a Tuba. Check out Euphonium07's videos on Youtube. He does wonderful arrangments of Nintendo songs and has a Flugelhorn shaped like this.
7 rims (Curry)
www.myspace.com/whistlingbarofsoap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Conn-oisseur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpieces - trumpet vs cornet vs flugelhorn Reply with quote

Still no one who can tell me the following?
It must be common knowledge since Tom Turner said that it has been discussed *many* times here in Trumpet Herald.

Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morse tapers are actually catalogued on the web in free machinery sensitive web-sites.

Google Morse taper #1.

That'll get you a "standard" trumpet shank taper .04988" (I believe) taper/inch. Round it off... but the beginning and ending taper diameters are *off.*

But there's more!

Morse taper #2

Slightly different than #1

And on and on.

"Rate of taper" is the big thing here and music manufacturers will generally go with the flow. I.e., why buy My mpc when it'll only fit in My horn?

Very few specs are standardized in the music industry except for mpc shank taper. Just about everyone uses the 50 thou/inch taper for shanks. What varies is the beginning diameter (small end) of the taper. What most of us use is 50 thou/inch for just about everything.

The beginning diameter of the taper also "sets the gap" in most trumpets and cornets. But That's another post...

There have been different tapers used in the past, especially in the early 1900's.

French Flugel taper is basically a *straight* taper, starting at about .389"-.390" for 3/4" inch or so and a gentle taper at the end of the insertion "locks it in" to prevent rocking or wobbling in the receiver.

Ever notice how Schilke and Yamaha finger buttons seem to be interchangeable? Technically they shouldn't. The Schilkes are 8-36 TPI and the Yammies 4mm/.7mm TPI. but they seem to fit, even though the pitch of the threads is *off* .001".

However- the trepanned undersurface of the buttons are WAY different! big diff in alignment. Problems- do not Pass Go or Collect $200.

There's usually a reason Manufactures make a few proprietary parts.

I ponder it every day.

HTH

MC
Conn-oisseur
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case somebody somewhere might know:

and at

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: