• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bel Canto trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzman885

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that Doc Severinsen played these horns for so long and so amazingly, I am surprised that they never seem to figure in newsgroup comparisons. Doesn't anybody else play them ?
I acquired a reconditioned Bel Canto from Dick Akright a year or so ago, and would be very interested to hear how the experts rate this model against, say, a Bach 37. I think mine badly needs a valve alignment before I could properly evaluate its potential (and I need to become a better and more consistent player !)
Jeff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Bel Canto for a while, and in an apparent moment of insanity, I sold it. It was
better than most any Bach I've ever played.

I'm still kicking myself to this day.
Jazzman885

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff.
Can you remember in what specific ways you found your Bel Canto better than the Bachs.
I am trying to get a feel for what to look for in making my own comparisons.
Alan
hpkhilma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Severinsen was my first trumpet hero when I was growing up. That rich, wonderful sound coupled with amazing range was quite inspiring to me. Although I knew he played Bel Canto, I, like many of you picked up a Bach simply because it seemed to be the most readily available professional model horn around. After years of playing Bachs I am just now getting around to trying other pro model horns: Monette, Stomvi, Yamaha. Unfortunately I am now more involved with orchestral playing so I doubt I'll ever get around to purchasing a Bel Canto. However, I look forward to reading comparisons of Bachs and Bel Cantos on this thread.

Kevin
tomterriff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick Ackright designed the Bel Canto with Doc with the intention of making the horn that Bach used to make. It's not so much that they play differently than a Bach, it's just that they all play like a good Bach. Each of Dick's horns are hand made and carefully tested before leaving the shop. I found that his horns, both Bb and C are suited for symphonic playing as well as jazz. It has a gorgeous dark tone and the craftmanship is superb. I sold my C to help finance a Blackburn because I felt I needed to brighten up my sound, but once in a while, when I have a singing mellow solo to play, I really miss the Bel Canto. Get your valves realigned, jazzman, and you'll have a horn that sings like the best of the Bachs.

Tom Hyde
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, I was talking to Doc and was interested in a Bel Canto. His response was, "Don't bother, get a Bach." Whoa. Does Akright make those trumpets any more? Played a few, 2 lemons and 1 ringer. T.
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick stopped making them in the early/mid 90's. I think they were too difficult to make for the few he sold toward the end. He wanted to concentrate more on his repair business. Kanstul made the bells for him and Dick made all of the other parts. The one I've played was very nice. Very fine craftsmanship and great sound. Doc has gone through many lines of horns. Conn, Getzen, Scodwell and now back to Getzen. He's endorsed each of them as the best horns ever. How many time has he been married too?
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a BelCanto Severinson model, and I love it. It has a great rich tone quality, and always wins the blind contest as the best sounding trumpet I own, when I have my wife and daughter listen to the same passage, using the same mthpc. against Bach Stad, ZeuS G, Besson Brevette, Olds Ambassador, Olds Special. I haven't done the test with my 46 Martin Committee, or Olds Recording yet. I also am amazed that I don't hear more discussion about these great trumpets.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bel Canto was the closest copy of the original NY Bach ever manufactured. Its bell is a 37 and the leadpipe, a 25. There are a few design aspects where it differs from the early Bach:

-The Bel Canto main tuning slide is slightly wider than the NY Bach and more closely resembles the modern Benge ts crook.

-The #1 slide is configured like modern horns (without brace in middle). The #3 slide retainer is part of main tuning slide-to-third slide brace. (For the most part, other bracing configurations are as you'd find on an old NY Bach.)

-The finger hook and mpc receiver are not Bach style.

The Bel Canto's are really great playing and responsive horns and command a pretty good price on the used market these days.

I had a long conversation with Doc last May about the Bel Canto. He still owns one and pulls it out occasionally. He says he's very comfortable with it and it can handle anything he deals it.

Dave M
yellowz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where there are a couple of the Bel Canto L bore horns if anyone is interested.
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice Murphy plays one. That's a pretty good recommendation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, the 70's tower of power trumpets, Gillette and Adams, both used the 59 model if I'm not mistaken.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I think Greg Adams played one his whole career, up until he went solo... and then I think he started playing a Monette.
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Graham has played a L bore Bel Canto for years. Who wouldn't want *his* sound?

David
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Bel Canto first came on the market a local player was a distributor. He wanted to sell me one in place of my Bach. I tried the Bel Canto on and off a few times and liked the feel and sound. Finally we happened to be on the same gig one night. Half way through the gig after a break he handed me his Bel Canto to play. Ah, the ultimate test, I thought. After the second number I was beat. My chops were gone. He gave me back my Bach and my chops were back! I later discovered that my Bach was not a particuarlly good one, but I have remembered that experience. I had thought that the BC was supposed a good copy of a Bach. It certainly was not a copy of MY Bach.

[ This Message was edited by: hose on 2003-08-28 11:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hose on 2003-08-28 11:46 ]
Oxfordite
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to argue the quality of the Bel Canto your friend let your try. But it seems likely that you were just not accustomed to the horn. If you are used to a tighter horn that offers more resistance when you tire than switching to a freer blowing, more open horn will tire you out quicker. Most players enjoy a free blowing trumpet but as they get tired they need something to blow against to keep going. Resistance is essential in a horn, not too much or too little. Still it comes down to what you are used to. I am not saying that the Bel Canto was a good one but it might be that you merely needed time to get used to it. Even some of the best professionals have difficulty switching between different types of trumpets on such short notice. Besides, it's not really a good practice to switch equipment during a gig...
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxfordite,

I'm sure I wasn't comparing apples to apples. I had played that BC for several short segments and it seemed great. In fact, if I would have had the $, I probably would have bought one. It just surprised me that night because I thought the horn was modeled or copied after Doc's Bachs and a transition would not be a big one. Fooled me. Many times since, I have particapted in horn swapping (safer than the other kind) on the job without that big of reaction. It would be interesting to try the same experiment now, 15 years later.
aldir13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got myself a BC from 1989 No. 59. great horn, great all around horn. I use it for every sort of music I got to play, Jazz, Latin etc. In the low register this horn barks, and up there its open like a horn should be. Very nice one
Hub van Laar Quartertone trumpet
www.adirkochavi.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYp6bC3iDY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RcJ8zyaRM4
slip0106
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned one, but have played a few of them.

First one I played was in NYC in 1990. Beautiful horn! Then in 1999. I know a few guys in St Louis Mo who have them. Again, great horns. Plays like a "very good" Mt Vernon Bach, perhaps a little brighter sound.

Too bad Akright isn't still making them. Fine trpt anyway you slice it.

Regards - Michael
Fast Freddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn good horns indeed. I own a Model 54 #104 and the horn really sings!

Interestingly enough, I've decided to put this horn through a full restoration here real soon. After a previous repair, I still have a very slight crinkle in the bell. Really wanted to get that taken care of anyway possible so I decided to contact Dick Akright (found his e-mail on the net) and inquire about the possibility of replacing the bell or fixing the injury so as to never know it existed. I got an e-mail back from Dick himself the next evening saying he could repair the horn no problemo. Very cool getting an e-mail (and phone number) from THE guy who built you horn, Doc's horn, etc..!

If you can find one, don't hesitate to give it a play. I got mine as a fluke really..... went into the local music store to try out a Getzen, Schilke, Bach and a Yamaha. Tried all four, then the store owner told me he had a Severinsen-Akright if I wanted to try it.... so I did and the rest is history. Why they had this horn at the store I do not know but I'm sure glad they did. Saw one here a while back for ~$1500, which is a great buy when compared to other horns in that price range.

-Chuck

[ This Message was edited by: Fast Freddy on 2003-09-13 20:16 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: