• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Spyder stand warning

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Spyder stand warning Reply with quote

This is a warning to those of you who may have a Spyder trumpet stand; you know, the blue or black plastic stands that have fold up legs.

My spyder stand is over 20 years old. I most often used it with my lacquer Bb. But recently I used it to hold a mostly new, silver-plated horn and noticed that the inside of the bell was scratched, right along the edge!! It turns out that over the years, the rubber bumper upon which the trumpet sits has deteriorated so that it is now fairly hard and abrasive.

While I am not super-concerned about a horn's looks, I am ticked to have one scratched up for something that could have been prevented. I was able to polish most of the scratches out of the silver horn, but my gold-plated horn appears to have been permanently scarred. Pfui!

For now, I have cut out a circle of an old t-shirt with a hole in the center and have slipped that over the stand to cover the base.

I just thought that there might be others who could benefit from my misfortune.

-- Joe
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the warning. I have often thought about purchasing one of those stands. What a bummer. Sorry to hear that about your horns.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now you can say that your horns have "character."

My Bb seems like it just isn't happy unless it has a ding in it. Every time I get the dings rubbed out, something happens within a week. I recently walked to my mailbox while carrying my horn (I was taking a breather during my afternoon practice session). An acorn fell and dinged the bell about 1/8" away from where I just had one removed.

Paul
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use those stands that fold up so you can put them in your case in the bell. However, I never put them in the bell. I have a couple of copper bell horns and was told to be very careful about using stands with them. I put an old cut off crew sock over the stand. So far no problems from the stand but I do have a very small ding from a music stand. Like cars, we all hate to get dings in our horns but they are going to happen at some point over the years.

Stan
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AverageJoe wrote:

My Bb seems like it just isn't happy unless it has a ding in it. Every time I get the dings rubbed out, something happens within a week. I recently walked to my mailbox while carrying my horn (I was taking a breather during my afternoon practice session). An acorn fell and dinged the bell about 1/8" away from where I just had one removed.

Paul

Sorry Paul...but I couldn't help but smile......what are the odds...that you would carry your horn to the mailbox....and then for a random acorn to fall as you passed beneath it....and then for it to fall...and of all places...it hit your horn. I bet you couldn't do that if you walked out there in a million times.

I guess...you could call it fate. It was meant to be.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think abrasive kinds of problems can occur with some other brands of stands as well.

I had a similar problem with a Hamilton stand. But, in all fairness, it was my fault, because I should have noticed the problem with the rubber cap on top of the stand, and replaced it.
trumpetofthelord
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, put a sock in it.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an acorn falls in the woods and there's no horn around for it to hit, does it make a #@*!~&# sound? Incredible bad luck!

Edited by Moderators - Don't use profanities, even moderately disguised.
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use Spider stands away from the house. Mine are old too. I put some adhesive backed felt around the legs on the oldest that was starting to get hard and abrasive.

David
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David -

Thanks for the "felt tip." It's like something old and faithful failed me. Or worse - like the dog I've had and trusted turned on me and gave me a good chomp. I like my spyder stand and it saddens me to see it deteriorate, especially when I didn't expect it.

Paul - all my horns have character. I have neverhad a totally new trumpet. The newest one I ever had was when my Dad bought me a Selmer radial when I was in high school. It was the demo horn at the store. Maybe some day ...

A funny story: A while back my wife said that she was going to clean one of my single-trumpet gig bags, a codura Tuxedo. Well, she just tossed it in the washer. That bag was getting old, too, and it turns out that the trip through the washer caused the foam padding to absolutely disintegrate! I was left with a foamless shell!

If you ever see me trying to sell a Tuxedo gig bag on here, stay away!
(Naa... I wouldn't do that.)

-- Joe
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnCoprion wrote:
AverageJoe wrote:

Paul

Sorry Paul...but I couldn't help but smile......what are the odds...that you would carry your horn to the mailbox....and then for a random acorn to fall as you passed beneath it....and then for it to fall...and of all places...it hit your horn. I bet you couldn't do that if you walked out there in a million times.

I guess...you could call it fate. It was meant to be.

Yeah -- I don't know if I'm going to have this one removed or not...I'm afraid of what my horn might do to retaliate!
gchun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe-

Have you tried "reversing" the rubber inserts? By reversing, I meaning pulling out the rubber pieces, putting it back in with the "old" hard surface INTO the slot. You may have to put a spacer in first in to get the right height. I was able to get a little more life out of those rubber strips as in the "inside" surface is less worn & dried out.

Garry
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun wrote:
Joe-
Have you tried "reversing" the rubber inserts? Garry

Interesting idea. I thought that they looked like only one side was "up" but I'll take another look. I had thought about taking an Xacto knife and trying to trim the dried-out surface away.

I'll take a look at your idea, Garry. Thanks for the suggestion!!
gchun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe-

You are correct. One side is "higher". Depending on how worn out they are, you may need to stick some "spacer" so the rubber contacts the horn properly.

Garry
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Spyder stand warning Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
This is a warning to those of you who may have a Spyder trumpet stand; you know, the blue or black plastic stands that have fold up legs.

My spyder stand is over 20 years old. I most often used it with my lacquer Bb. But recently I used it to hold a mostly new, silver-plated horn and noticed that the inside of the bell was scratched, right along the edge!! It turns out that over the years, the rubber bumper upon which the trumpet sits has deteriorated so that it is now fairly hard and abrasive.

While I am not super-concerned about a horn's looks, I am ticked to have one scratched up for something that could have been prevented. I was able to polish most of the scratches out of the silver horn, but my gold-plated horn appears to have been permanently scarred. Pfui!

For now, I have cut out a circle of an old t-shirt with a hole in the center and have slipped that over the stand to cover the base.

I just thought that there might be others who could benefit from my misfortune.

-- Joe

I know this is an 11 year old thread, but is current to me as I'm looking to replace my 20 year old spyder stands. I have one that I had to super-glue back together after I stepped on it and one of the support lugs cracked.

IMO this is the most stable trumpet stand on the market. It's not going to DING your bell like the hard K&M stands will and certainly won't tip like the 3 legged K&M's. I switched to the Spyder stands afer a K&M fell out of my bell and onto my C trumpet. I digress...

The fix for the old, aging "hard rubber" is an easy one: Silicone. Get a small tube of silcone calk and just apply a bead down each leg over the rubber bumpers. It's soft so it won't scratch. It will adhere easily and should be permanent- unless you decide to peel it off and start again.
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fix is rubber treatment to keep it supple; the stuff available today is WAY better than we used to have!
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy I sit next to in community band slips a Crown Royal bag over his stand.

I recommend you go out and buy a bottle and try out that idea.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it lasts 20 years I'd say you got your money's worth. If McGuyvering doesn't give good results, I'd pop another $23 for a new one.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkadder wrote:
I recommend you go out and buy a bottle and try out that idea.

Yeah, and forget about the bag.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have cut small strips of cork and glued them over the top of where the rubber was.
does a good job too

i love the old blue ones. they made red and beige back in the day as well.

the new black ones aren't quite the same as the old ones. i think that maybe they are made elsewhere other than germany now.

still by far my favorite stand!!!!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: