• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arban vs Clarke

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frasse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Arban vs Clarke Reply with quote

Hi,

I wonder what differences, if any, there is between the Arban and Clark studies?

I am currently using Arban as a part of my daily practice, and now I'm wondering what, if anyting, I would gain from adding some Clarke aswell.

Anyone?
Dr.Rico
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. it certainly wouldn't hurt. Using the Arban's for it's lyrical studies and the Clarke for its technical would be a nice balance, and will keep you from getting tired of one book or the other. I've found using the Clarke book studies at high tempos help with finger dexterity and flexibility, as well as a boost in endurance once you've mastered using your air properly.

Of course, I have only the experience of 5 and a half years of trumpet playing under my belt(6th grade until 11th thus far), so those more experienced wiser than me could be of more help, I'm sure.
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarke should definitely be incorporated into your daily routine; along with Arban (and Schlossberg, and Irons, and Colin, and Mitchell.....). Clarke focuses on embouchure strength and endurance, as well as technique, finger dexterity, air support, etc.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,
Many trumpet books have been written. You will start to see material that is copied from one method and inserted into another. You can tell what exercises accomplish by how they are written. Slurs, articulations, intervals, multiple tonguing, etc. You just want to arrange your practice time to cover the various aspects of playing.

I recommend that you practice out of both the Arban and Clarke. Schlossberg is another good one to have. There are plenty more out there but you will get a lot of mileage out of those three.

Have fun
Frasse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet I will

So Clarke contains alot exercises for strength, technique, fingering, air support a.s.o...

In what way does this differ from the Arban studies? When I take a look in my Arban-book I see pretty much exercises that seem to be good for those things aswell (by my relative unexperienced eyes anyway).
Note: I havent seen the Clarke book, as I would have to walk 200 km to get to the nearest trumpet-store to look at it.

Btw. Thanks for the answers!
Nickyboy2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Clarke studies for the finger flexibility studies. I use Arban's for the etudes in the back and scale exercises; Schlosberg is used for intervals, Irons for lip slurs, Chicowicz flow studies for warm up, air and strength, Concone for lyrical studies and transposition (if #x where written in c, transpose it for Bb). I also have a disney book that I use for fun when I want to get out of my study habit. I use Clarke the most out of them all, I find it to be the most fun part of my practice routine and I would consider it a vital part of every trumpet players arsenal of practice material.

Getzen 300 Series (Lacquer)
Zeus Guarnerius (Copper, Nickel. Brass)
1918 C.G Conn Wonder Cornet (silver)
NYTC Stage 1 California C (Silver)
pelirrojo173
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend a ridiculous amount of time on Clarke studies, they'll do wonders for your playing.

I don't think you can really compare these books and say which one is better... They go hand in hand, and every trumpet player should have them both IMO
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Arban vs Clarke Reply with quote

Frasse wrote:
Hi,

I wonder what differences, if any, there is between the Arban and Clark studies?

I am currently using Arban as a part of my daily practice, and now I'm wondering what, if anyting, I would gain from adding some Clarke aswell.

Anyone?

You're on the right track. Clarke technical studies are just that, they will build technique. If one is fairly dilligent, it's not too much trouble to play all the way through both books over the course of a year. Then, what I like to do is rotate the 14 characteristic studies in Arban as part of daily practice. In Clarke, the studies I use the most often are Nos. 1, 2 and 5.
Roy
omicron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Clarke Reply with quote

Frasse wrote:

Note: I havent seen the Clarke book, as I would have to walk 200 km to get to the nearest trumpet-store to look at it.

Hey Frasse,

I agreed with all the above comments. You definitely need to be familiar with the Clarke Technical studies. Two quick comments:

1) Allen Vizzutti has a three volume trumpet method published by Alfred. Book one is an expansion of Clarke's studies, diminished, whole tone, minor, etc.

2) William Vacchiano published a "Trumpet Routines" book (I think it's published by Charles Colin) almost 20 years ago. The book has ten practice rountine in increasing difficulty. The beauty is that each routine includes lip flexibility, scales, multiple tonguing, intervals, appregios, and finger studies, etc. Each one takes about 20-30 minutes and you cover just about everything you need to do to maintain and/or develop your technique. Some of the exercises are based on famous orchestral solo passages.

Human nature is that with the Arban (and Schlossberg for that matter) book you really need to skip all over the book to cover everything you should be practicing. With the Vacch book, you can read down the page. It's the lazy person's guide to a daily routine.
Tyler Williams
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably want to start working on the 14 Characteristic Studies in the Arban book. My trumpet profesor, Galindo Rodriguez, is having me work on all 14 for my freshman year, and in fact, he wants me to be able to play each one back to back. Ever since I started working on the them, I have noticed a huge and quick increase in embouchure strength, endurance and as a bonus, sightreading. Also, the Clarke book helps out with endurance and familiarity with fingerings. What I especially like to do is tweak Clarke's 2nd study by playing it in minor, dorian, dominant eighth, diminished seventh, blues scale, and the hardest, (for me) chromatic.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Arban vs Clarke Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
...If one is fairly dilligent, it's not too much trouble to play all the way through both books over the course of a year....

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mastering Clarke and all those nasty finger crosses will allow people to perform the Characteristic Studies in Arbans, the Smith book and most solo literature better because you are able to embark from firm foundation. It is similar to learning all of the addition, subtraction, multiplication and division tables rather than memorize only those that are needed for the current problem. I find I need to do Clarke of some kind almost daily or things get rusty quickly. I think I've been using them for 38 years now and I still have much room to improve.
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelirrojo173 wrote:
I spend a ridiculous amount of time on Clarke studies, they'll do wonders for your playing.

I don't think you can really compare these books and say which one is better... They go hand in hand, and every trumpet player should have them both IMO

What he said...
arttrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: arban vs clarke Reply with quote

pelirrojo173 wrote:

I agree 100%
Arturo Sandoval
John Holifield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm reviving an old thread but I'm doing it anyway, lol.

If I only had one book, it would definitely be the Arban's. 2 would be Clarke's along with Arban's. 3 would be 27 Groups of Exercises with Clarke's and Arban's. To me after many years of study and teaching the 3 aforementioned books are a great foundation to superior playing! Other books like the St. Jacome, Smith's Flexibilities, Colin etc. are just extras. Claude Gordon had a way of progressively working through each of these books in conjunction with each other in a progressive manor that if practiced properly and thoroughly would yield a great foundation that one could literately develop into a true professional and dare I say, virtuoso!
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude Gordon used to say, "There are two things a trumpet player can't live without: Clarke's Technical Studies and love."

Doc Severinsen said something similar to me too: "A trumpet player needs Clarke's Technical Studies and milk everyday."

Clarke's Technical Studies is a never-ending journey because the book has so many layers of development to extract from it if you cover it patiently and systematically. Everything in that book is doable in regards to tempo and breath control if you just take the time to do it properly.

Arban is also a fantastic book. Arban and St. Jacome for a long time were the only method books that the cornet legends had. Get St. Jacome too and look at the concept of "models" that appears on page 157 and you can apply to Arban too. There are a bunch of great books to have in your library and it's important to have a strategy to use them with a smart practice routine to systematically work through them and gain the knowledge and wisdom from them.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
Claude Gordon used to say, "There are two things a trumpet player can't live without: Clarke's Technical Studies and love."

Everything Jeff wrote about the Clarke Studies, Arban and St-Jacome is very true. But with all due respect I must set the record straight concerning the above quote, which is slightly inaccurate (and we know how Claude felt about being inaccurate).

On occasions when his wife was not present, the quote usually went like this:

Quote:
There are two things a trumpet player cannot live without: Good food and Clarke's Technical Studies.

On occasions when his wife was present (such as at the CG Brass Camps), the quote would usually go like this:

Quote:
There are three things a trumpet player cannot live without: Love, good food, and Clarke's Technical Studies.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Holifield wrote:
I know I'm reviving an old thread but I'm doing it anyway, lol.

If I only had one book, it would definitely be the Arban's. 2 would be Clarke's along with Arban's. 3 would be 27 Groups of Exercises with Clarke's and Arban's. To me after many years of study and teaching the 3 aforementioned books are a great foundation to superior playing! Other books like the St. Jacome, Smith's Flexibilities, Colin etc. are just extras. Claude Gordon had a way of progressively working through each of these books in conjunction with each other in a progressive manor that if practiced properly and thoroughly would yield a great foundation that one could literately develop into a true professional and dare I say, virtuoso!

If I had only one book, I would buy the other required books!
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro,

Don't walk... Click!!!

https://www.scribd.com/doc/164468318/H-L-Clarke-Technical-studies-for-Trumpet-pdf

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
There are a bunch of great books to have in your library and it's important to have a strategy to use them...

I think that's the key. Practicing exercises is fine, but using them with a specific purpose is better.

For example, most people practice the intervals on Arban p. 125 quickly to develop agility, accuracy, and strength. Brian Shook wrote that William Vacchiano would also practice them very slowly, with an even, heavy, clear tone that could carry over a large orchestra in a large hall. He knew what he needed to be successful and was clever in finding ways to work on those things.

BTW, I also like the Franquin method. It's a goldmine of material covering many of the same skills addressed by the famous cornet methods plus other things that are important yet especially difficult on trumpet. Wish I found this a long time ago.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: